Penalties

I was looking over some stats on the NCAA web page and I noticed something very interesting, these are each teams rank, penalties per game and penalty yards per game for all Big 12 schools.

40. Kansas - 6 for 48

42. Iowa State - 5.14 for 50

44. Missouri - 5.17 for 51

90. Kansas State - 7.43 for 66

102. Baylor - 8 for 73

104. Nebraska - 8.5 for 74

109. Texas A&M - 8.17 for 76

110. Texas - 8.67 for 78

112. Colorado - 9.5 for 79

116. Oklahoma State - 9.83 for 83

117. Texas Tech. - 9.57 for 83

120. Oklahoma - 8.17 for 85

This is out of 120 teams. Are all Big 12 teams really undisciplined, or is it the refs being real sticklers?

I was looking over some stats on the NCAA web page and I noticed something very interesting, these are each teams rank, penalties per game and penalty yards per game for all Big 12 schools.

40. Kansas - 6 for 48

42. Iowa State - 5.14 for 50

44. Missouri - 5.17 for 51

90. Kansas State - 7.43 for 66

102. Baylor - 8 for 73

104. Nebraska - 8.5 for 74

109. Texas A&M - 8.17 for 76

110. Texas - 8.67 for 78

112. Colorado - 9.5 for 79

116. Oklahoma State - 9.83 for 83

117. Texas Tech. - 9.57 for 83

120. Oklahoma - 8.17 for 85

This is out of 120 teams. Are all Big 12 teams really undisciplined, or is it the refs being real sticklers?

Great post I was wondering what these numbers were and thought we might be lower than that. Very interresting, seems crazy to have that many Big 12 teams in the 100s

That is really amazing. In the thread about officiating someone mentioned that the big-12 holds their referees more accountable and that it is actually the extra pressure that might be the reason they will call anything close. (but apparently the big-12 doesn't bother the refs for missed holding calls).

My problem isn't as much with the refs as it is with the "newer" penalties. Spearing is and has been a penalty for quite some time. However, I don't see what is wrong with helmet to helmet hits when both heads are up. The horsecaller penalty is stupid. I also don't like the you can't hit an unprotected receiver. Then, we get that little gem no hands to the helmet. Why don't we just put green jerseys on all the QB's and WR's? Or better yet, hand in the pads and helmets for flags and a belt. I wrecked my motorcycle this summer going 55 mph. I landed on my back and head with a helmet on. I got up and put my motorcycle back up. If I can take a hit like that on a 550 pound bike, I think a lot of the above mentioned things should be allowed. I used to ref football, and I totally understand the safety and health of players. However, the NCAA has taken things way too far.

Whats even more telling is if you take the Avg yds/Avg # of penalties. Most of the teams average more than 8 yds a penalty. So the penalties being taken arent minor false starts, I would say with an average that high there are alot of 15 ydrs. I can think of atleast 4-5 15 ydrs on us this year that were absolute garbage. There needs to be something done about this.