Ron Brown

Not that I don't feel that Ron Brown is a superior WR coach over Gilmore, because it is painfully obvious that he is, but if you think there will be a player see that field at WR that can't block with Ron Brown coaching you have another thing coming.

Do not disagree. But I was pointing to the fact that Gilmore will play WRs simply because they are better blockers, rather than who our playmakers are. That may have worked 10 years ago, but not in todays offense.

I disagree, Shawn Watson is an awful playcaller. If we have a scared QB, why didnt we run the ball more? Why is Shawn Watson so quick to abandon any efforts to establish the run, even when our offense is having success with it? Why (against Missouri) wasnt Rex Burkhead given the ball more in the 3rd quarter when he was the only offensive player who had really done anything? Why instead did Shawn Watson stick so heavily to the pass & make no effort to establish the run when Zac Lee hadnt completed 1 single pass in the entire 3rd quarter? Why is our offense as a whole so undisciplined? Does none of that fall on the offensive coordinator, who is paid big bucks to put a productive offense on the field? I completely disagree that 'Wats is fine'.

People have some insanely short-term memories when it comes to Watson. Does no one remember what he has done the past two years?

We cannot run for quite a few reasons ..

Mike Smith is a horrid run blocker

Jaivorio Burkes, our best lineman, is likely done

Rex Burkhead is hurt

Roy Helu's shoulder is messed up, badly

Ricky Henry has no idea blocking assignments and just goes recklessly, especially when he pulls

Jacob Hickman is hurt

Mike Caputo and gets pushed around rather easily unless he gets GREAT hand placement on bigger d-lineman

Barney teaches no technique, but rather ruthless aggression blocking which leads to a ton of miscues

Do you want me to go on? I can, if you need me to.

We did not run versus Mizzou, period. I've addressed this before. Missouri stuck 8-9 in the box, EVERY PLAY. Go back and look at the run totals - we did nothing until that last drive. While Zac was completely off, do you think it would have done any good running against a stacked box? Unless you wanted us going 3 TE sets almost every play, we weren't running that night.

Wats is fine. Our recruiting is not. We have no playmakers offensively. Helu is the only guy we have who is a threat, and his shoulder is severely jacked up. Our offense suffers because we have to rely on guys like Holt, who cannot get off of press coverage to save his life. Or Niles Paul who pouts when he isn't involved heavily early and commits mental mistake after mental mistake.

We had 8 turnovers. We had 4 inside the 5 yard line. Wats, and even Lee, consistently got us in position for the ISU game. But somehow, people blamed both of them. Was Wats fumbling that game? Was Lee fumbling? Or were both of them putting us in position that entire game?

Coach Watson just happens to be the whipping boy right now because he is the easy target. That is unfortunate because of what he has did for us during his tenure. And the minute he goes, and we get a 'Nebraska boy' as our OC, we will see even more endless whining when we realize what we had and let go.

Simply - get a playmaker. Get some talent on the field and quit relying almost entirely on Helu to shoulder the load for our entire offense.

Willie:

You have many excellent points. NU is lacking in talent --- and what talent we do have is banged up. This is, as you say, more likely the reason that we cannot run than is the play calling. I would only add to your excellent post this one counter --- Watson's ability to adapt with play calling in view of the lack of talent and the injuries is ALSO a problem.

I agree that Watson has been the whipping boy disproportionately to his level of true guilt --- his lack of ability to coach --- he is a decent (if not necessarily very good) coach who is being impugned for being awful. He is not an awful coach. He is decent --- with less than B12 average talent. And several of the key talented people are missing entirely due to injury or are the walking wounded.

The team has problems with talent, recruiting, discipline, and coaching --- on the offensive side of the ball, primarily. All of these problems is combination is what yields the product we see on the field. And there is one more problem --- maybe the biggest problem --- the players are discouraged, and some of them appear timid and even scared of failure. They are under great pressure to perform and this seems like a team that is really pressing. For our part we need to support them hugely --- no matter what --- that we as a fan base might alleviate some of what is causing them to press so hard. 8 turnovers can only be the result of a team that is really, really out of sorts and pressing.

We'll see how they respond. For our part lets respond by cheering them on and hoping for the best.

I don't know guys. Until this team commits to running the football...I'm hesitant to call the line and Barney Cotton a failure. From what I've seen in the power I with extra tight ends and a fullback we seem alright. Bigger back in there know and a timid qb against Baylor...this would be a great time to try to establish the run. If we can't move the ball in that formation on Baylor then we have a bad line and/or poor line coach. I just think there's too much clash in the coaching philosophies between Bo, Watson, cotton....

I don't know guys. Until this team commits to running the football...I'm hesitant to call the line and Barney Cotton a failure. From what I've seen in the power I with extra tight ends and a fullback we seem alright. Bigger back in there know and a timid qb against Baylor...this would be a great time to try to establish the run. If we can't move the ball in that formation on Baylor then we have a bad line and/or poor line coach. I just think there's too much clash in the coaching philosophies between Bo, Watson, Cotton....

:clap

100% spot on, Cotton/Bo's philosophy is physical. I think Watson is more into spread type finesse football.

Not that I don't feel that Ron Brown is a superior WR coach over Gilmore, because it is painfully obvious that he is, but if you think there will be a player see that field at WR that can't block with Ron Brown coaching you have another thing coming.

Do not disagree. But I was pointing to the fact that Gilmore will play WRs simply because they are better blockers, rather than who our playmakers are. That may have worked 10 years ago, but not in todays offense.

I disagree, Shawn Watson is an awful playcaller. If we have a scared QB, why didnt we run the ball more? Why is Shawn Watson so quick to abandon any efforts to establish the run, even when our offense is having success with it? Why (against Missouri) wasnt Rex Burkhead given the ball more in the 3rd quarter when he was the only offensive player who had really done anything? Why instead did Shawn Watson stick so heavily to the pass & make no effort to establish the run when Zac Lee hadnt completed 1 single pass in the entire 3rd quarter? Why is our offense as a whole so undisciplined? Does none of that fall on the offensive coordinator, who is paid big bucks to put a productive offense on the field? I completely disagree that 'Wats is fine'.

People have some insanely short-term memories when it comes to Watson. Does no one remember what he has done the past two years?

Rex Burkhead is hurt

Ricky Henry has no idea blocking assignments and just goes recklessly, especially when he pulls

Jacob Hickman is hurt

Mike Caputo and gets pushed around rather easily unless he gets GREAT hand placement on bigger d-lineman

Barney teaches no technique, but rather ruthless aggression blocking which leads to a ton of miscues

We did not run versus Mizzou, period. I've addressed this before. Missouri stuck 8-9 in the box, EVERY PLAY. Go back and look at the run totals - we did nothing until that last drive. While Zac was completely off, do you think it would have done any good running against a stacked box? Unless you wanted us going 3 TE sets almost every play, we weren't running that night.

Wats is fine. Our recruiting is not. We have no playmakers offensively. Helu is the only guy we have who is a threat, and his shoulder is severely jacked up. Our offense suffers because we have to rely on guys like Holt, who cannot get off of press coverage to save his life. Or Niles Paul who pouts when he isn't involved heavily early and commits mental mistake after mental mistake.

We had 8 turnovers. We had 4 inside the 5 yard line. Wats, and even Lee, consistently got us in position for the ISU game. But somehow, people blamed both of them. Was Wats fumbling that game? Was Lee fumbling? Or were both of them putting us in position that entire game?

Coach Watson just happens to be the whipping boy right now because he is the easy target. That is unfortunate because of what he has did for us during his tenure. And the minute he goes, and we get a 'Nebraska boy' as our OC, we will see even more endless whining when we realize what we had and let go.

Simply - get a playmaker. Get some talent on the field and quit relying almost entirely on Helu to shoulder the load for our entire offense.

how can you say watson is doing ok with the talent he has when every play he calls only gains us 3 yards? if its not a 3 yard drag route its a WR screen behind the line of scrimmage...how about you go down field to open up the running game so they cant put 8 or 9 guys in the box? because from what i noticed every time we do go deep it works for us... the mizzou game twice and the isu game that one time...and really thats the only times i remember that we tried it were those 3 times...

Rex Burkhead is hurt

Jacob Hickman is hurt

Willie:

You have many excellent points. NU is lacking in talent --- and what talent we do have is banged up. This is, as you say, more likely the reason that we cannot run than is the play calling. I would only add to your excellent post this one counter --- Watson's ability to adapt with play calling in view of the lack of talent and the injuries is ALSO a problem.

I agree that Watson has been the whipping boy disproportionately to his level of true guilt --- his lack of ability to coach --- he is a decent (if not necessarily very good) coach who is being impugned for being awful. He is not an awful coach. He is decent --- with less than B12 average talent. And several of the key talented people are missing entirely due to injury or are the walking wounded.

The team has problems with talent, recruiting, discipline, and coaching --- on the offensive side of the ball, primarily. All of these problems is combination is what yields the product we see on the field. And there is one more problem --- maybe the biggest problem --- the players are discouraged, and some of them appear timid and even scared of failure. They are under great pressure to perform and this seems like a team that is really pressing. For our part we need to support them hugely --- no matter what --- that we as a fan base might alleviate some of what is causing them to press so hard. 8 turnovers can only be the result of a team that is really, really out of sorts and pressing.

We'll see how they respond. For our part lets respond by cheering them on and hoping for the best.

AMEN! stop being pessimists, start wereing rose colored glasses so that we can see the good and be OPTIMISTIC!

how can you say watson is doing ok with the talent he has when every play he calls only gains us 3 yards? if its not a 3 yard drag route its a WR screen behind the line of scrimmage...how about you go down field to open up the running game so they cant put 8 or 9 guys in the box? because from what i noticed every time we do go deep it works for us... the mizzou game twice and the isu game that one time...and really thats the only times i remember that we tried it were those 3 times...

Um, Mizzou put 8-9 in the box because of conditions. Had nothing to do with offensive philosophy. We have no playmakers and it was in a horrid downpour. The likelihood a WR got behind a WR, save for a complete mental mistake, was VERY small. And for 4 quarters, they let it happen one time. Unfortunately for the Mizzou guys, that is the one play that opened the flood gates. No pun intended.

When we go downfield? The only time we take a shot downfield is when the guys actually get open. Those times are few and far between because our WRs cannot get open.

For the most part, alot of our routes ARE vertical routes, which may be the biggest issue we have. Instead of using outs and slants more, we use WRs who cannot get vertical (Paul, Holt) consistently as vertical threats.

That and we have a QB who is hesitant to pull the trigger on those throws, and rightfully so in the case of a couple of our WRs.

Willie:

I think we saw a load of this in our last game, but yet Watson got piled onto.

The biggest problem in our offense is the lack of vertical game , lazy WRs and WRs who can get off the line. Instead of running them downfield, as we normally did, we saw an insane number of WR screens that were as good as runs. We also saw more outs and drags than normal as well, which is a sign of adaptation.

Even with that, teams still show us absolutely zero deep respect and they do not have to. This, in itself, limits a very large portion of our game because the safeties do not show us respect enough to roll in coverage. Corners can almost man-up on our WRs and have nothing to worry about.

If people thinks this is bad now, wait until next week. OU will bring those safeties down and will be pinning their ears back on every play. It honestly could be a shutout and quite a bit like last years game before we know it.

I would honestly prefer to have Swift and Peterson back. While neither were gamebreakers, both sold their routes extremely well and because of that alone they could get open. This year, we have WRs with little idea how to get off press coverages, and when they do, they run lazy routes. Basically, our WRs suck more than we can even fathom.

More than anything else, people should be all over Gilmore for his coaching, or lack thereof and his pure laziness in regards to his RC efforts. Could also throw quite a bit at Barney for his "coaching" as well.

Big Willie your back!! I'm always glad when you post on here I even made a thread just for you to chime into. Can Gilleylan not get past defenders on deep routes? I've always wondered why Bell isn't playing more. We saw him get vertical in the spring game and have seen nothing of him throughout the season. I know you said Lee moved us down the field but don't you think that Green could provide us with a different element? If we refuse to play Bell and our wr's can't get open don't you think that Green could provide a different aspect to the offense? Also that would take a load off the backs since we are a little banged up. Watson's playcalling also just blows my mind. He calls qb counters with a guy who can't run worth crap? Runs a wr screen to holt? A guy who is probably the slowest wr we have. Just like Bo is the leader of the entire team, Wats should be the leader of the entire offense so why can't he just say Gilmore put Bell in, we are going to run a jailbreak put mendoza out there, put Bell out there, someone besides Holt. Thoughts?

Big Willie your back!! I'm always glad when you post on here I even made a thread just for you to chime into. Can Gilleylan not get past defenders on deep routes? I've always wondered why Bell isn't playing more. We saw him get vertical in the spring game and have seen nothing of him throughout the season. I know you said Lee moved us down the field but don't you think that Green could provide us with a different element? If we refuse to play Bell and our wr's can't get open don't you think that Green could provide a different aspect to the offense? Also that would take a load off the backs since we are a little banged up. Watson's playcalling also just blows my mind. He calls qb counters with a guy who can't run worth crap? Runs a wr screen to holt? A guy who is probably the slowest wr we have. Just like Bo is the leader of the entire team, Wats should be the leader of the entire offense so why can't he just say Gilmore put Bell in, we are going to run a jailbreak put mendoza out there, put Bell out there, someone besides Holt. Thoughts?

I'm always around in the early morning and late evenings anymore. Just don't spend much time on the recruiting board and mainly over here.

Curenski is lazy like the rest of our WRs. Guy can run with anybody, but only wants to run vertical routes. Constantly looking for outside leverage because he thinks he can run past anybody. On routes over the middle, he will basically give up if he sees the QB looking elsewhere. And it's pitiful to watch because I've been a strong defender of the guy because he is probably our most gifted WR as far as size, strength and ability.

Green, the thing is with him, he's going to force alot of things. You saw that in the T-Tech game. Guy loves to rifle his throws and doesn't know when to pull back to throw a more catchable ball. That first pass he threw to Kinnie in that game was an example. It should have been caught, but there is no reason to throw a ball that creates a huge thud you can hear on the TV. He's gotta know when to pull back on the reigns.

The other problems he will have is knowledge of the offense. People will think he has learned more of the offense in his time. But Cody was here for 8 months (he was a December grad) and only had knowledge of just a few plays in this offense. Wats has actually scaled this offense back to just a few plays that are ran in according to personnel differences to make it an easier adjustment for our young offense as well. So complexity isn't a problem.

Cody will also run into huge issues when he has to bark out protection assignments, getting people into place, dissecting coverages, manipulating them and so on. But the thing is, even I think the kid should learn on the fly now. His redshirt is gone, Lee is losing the team, so it might as well happen now.

Just hope the kid has the mental toughness part down for next weekend. Gonna be a rough one going up against OU's defense.

As far as the WR rotation, that is all on Gilmore. He's the one who decides who gets the majority of the PT and puts them in according to each play. So when you see Meno trotting out there and struggling to get off the line or Niles committing another mental mistake or Curenski quitting on a route, put that blame on Gilmore. Blame goes squarely on him for not playing guys like Cooper, Kinnie and Bell when they have outperformed guys (practice) in front of them.

Well then Gilmore should be given a wake up call if he puts in Holt to run a jailbreak screen. I still don't understand why Wats continues to call qb counters and the zone read with a guy who has proven he can't run effectively. If Lee gives us the best chance to win thats great, but shouldn't wats adapt the offense to something that fits lees abilities? The defense doesn't have to honor the qb running the ball at all so they can just key in on the back. Even if Lee does keep the ball its easy enough for the LB's and safety's to make up ground bc Lee is so slow. I know you said we can't pound the ball bc our backs are banged up but we have Okafor and Ward, who haven't even been given a chance yet. It just seems like the best option to run the ball bt the tackles instead of the zone read if you're going to keep Lee in. If Green plays, then ya obviously go back to the zone read. However, even when Green came in in the TT game in the THIRD quarter when there was plenty of time to get back in the game, we didn't run the zone read once! It just doesn't seem like he plays to players strengths.

The only thing Coach Brown needs to do is take over for Gilmore. Whatever gets that guy off our staff needs to be done.

Maybe Coach Brown would actually put the guys who earn their PT on the field instead of upperclassmen who can simply block better. That would be something, eh?

Wats is fine though. We just have a scared QB. That and we keep playing WRs who could not get open against any one of us. Man I miss Nate and Todd.

Whats a shame is that Gilmore is the third best Recievers coach on this team. Albin seemed to know what he was doing when he was the Kansas Rec coach (who else would take a qb (Mier) and put him in as a Receiver)