Clickable Smilies Window

knapplc

No reason - just the default. We can edit it to make it shorter, but there will result in having to scroll more to the left. Right now, we have it set to 4 icons per row - we could change that to 10 or something else to shorten the window, but it has the effect of having to vertical scroll more.

So, folks - any thoughts?

One thought would be to limit the number of smileys in the window to the 10-20 that are the most popular. There are a lot that aren't regularly used, like the "ESPN Sux" and the Pancake Bunny (with all due respect to TuffTiger, of course). Some of them could be removed, making that window fit better with the default posting window, but still available through the "show all" link.

**Edit** Nevermind, I didn't read Knapplc's post through all of the way <_<.

I like knapplc's idea. It is a minor frustration to have to scroll so far down the page to post.

Is there any way to add a Hide or Show button? That way, for those of us that don't use emoticons that often, we can keep the box hidden unless we need it, and then we can hide it again.

***SNIP***

Is there any way to add a Hide or Show button? That way, for those of us that don't use emoticons that often, we can keep the box hidden unless we need it, and then we can hide it again.

'Fraid not. It's a global setting - either turn them on for everyone or turn them off.

What I'm going to do is expand the row count so that there is only vertical scrolling. If that works, great. If not, we may have to try knapplc's idea of removing some of the smilies. We'll leave this up for a while, and see if we get any comments one way or the other.

I have no idea if its possible or not, just throwing it out there, but could you have a drop-down smiley button that hides them all until you roll your mouse over it?

BTW, I already like the new setup (now where the hell is the thumbs up smiley,......got it, j/k) :thumbs

I'm sure it could be modded that way - if we had sufficient PHP skills. Sadly, we don't, so we're limited to what the Board's software offers or what "pre-made" mods exist. Sorry.

I really like that change. It's way better. :thumbs

Is there any way to scrunch the smilies closer to each other in that window? There's a TON of white space between those smilies, way more than I see in any other board I belong to. It might help with navigation if they were condensed.

Another option would be to put it above or below the text box, and make it the length of the text box. That would allow more smilies to show as well.