Most Underrated/Overrated Player

Probably been done before but here it goes. Who do you consider...

The Most Underrated Player:

The Most Overrated Player:

...in Nebraska history. Just would like to see what ya'll think.

Here's mine.

Underrated: Scott Frost. Never really ever got the respect he deserved and was better than Crouch IMO.

Overrated: Crouch. Sorry, but he shouldn't have won the Heisman. On the other hand, he makes up for it when Frazier was robbed in '95. But none-the-less, Dorsey deserved that trophy.

Overrated....Barret Ruud. I know many of you think this is shocking, but IMO, the only reason he had all those tackles is that he played on alot of not so good teams and had lots of opportunities to get tackles. I hope makes me eat my words in the Nfl, but we shall see.

Underrated....Tommie Frazier. This may also seem odd, as by no means is he underrated by husker fans, but this guy is the greatest college football player in modern times. He played in three national championship games, was the MVP of two of them and would have been the MVP of the third if we could have made a field goal. No one outside of Lincoln speaks of him like this, but it is true. Greatest modern day college football player, with or without a heisman.

:wtf Seriously StuckinChicago, are you sharing the same crack pipe that oviedol55 is using???

Barret Rudd probably wouldn't have had all the tackles if he was playing against better teams however, he would still have been a great player and by no means overrated.

As for tommie Fraizer, he was one BAD dude. I thought he was 3 time MVP. When NE played against Florida State, I thought he won the MVP. I know Charlie Ward won the Heisman, but I could have swore tommie won the MVP for that game.

If you read my post, you would see that I said that Ruud played ON alot of bad teams, and that is why he had so many tackles. He wasnt even the best linebacker on the team until his senior year, and even then I think it was due more to lack of competition. IMO he was a solid linebacker. The kind you want on your team, but he wasnt one of the greatest. I can rattle off about five guys I think were better, and all of them played in the last 15 years.

What you said about Rudd was this:

Overrated....Barret Ruud. I know many of you think this is shocking, but IMO, the only reason he had all those tackles is that he played on alot of not so good teams and had lots of opportunities to get tackles. I hope makes me eat my words in the Nfl, but we shall see.

The key phrase is that you called Rudd Overrated. Which he definetly wasn't. I also didn't see you mentioned that he was a solid line backer. But after all that was said, I understand what you were trying to get at. :cheers

I'm gonna have to give a couple of examples for these... Recent history, since I didn't start analyzing games as closely as I do now until about 7 to 10 years ago. Prior to that I was just a crazy fan.

Underrated: Scott Frost was definitely underappreciated. Tough, fast, but not better than Crouch, IMO.

Dahrran Diedrick was underrated. If our offensive line had not sucked so badly in 2002, he'd have been much better. I mean the guy ran for 1300 yards as a Junior. He missed Crouch badly.

Overrated: Dan Alexander -- the dude was huge and fast but had very little by way of moves. I'll always remember him lowering his shoulder to run over a DB that was already on the ground, and then promptly falling over. And he couldn't catch the damn option pitch.

I also have to go with Tracey Wistrom here. He was a solid TE, but man we kinda fell all over ourselves praising him because he was Grant's little bro. Good, but nothing great.

Overrated: Crouch. Sorry, but he shouldn't have won the Heisman. But none-the-less, Dorsey deserved that trophy.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen on this board. The guy is possibly the best QB to ever play at NU. If it wasn't for him the 7-7 season would of happened a lot sooner. He carried that offense in 01. Watch the Rose Bowl against Miami he is the only one(except Groce punt return) that looked like a D1 player for NU. As far as Ken Dorsey winning the Heisman he was an average QB that had awesome skilled players around him. Look at his WR, TE, RB, and O-Line. Sorry but even Joe Dailey could of been good with that talent. Well maybe not.

Overrated Husker: Richie Incognito, the Kelsey Brothers, Fabian Washington, Keyou Craver

Underrated: Corey Dixon

I began reading this thread and the first thing that came to mind as overrated was Barrett Ruud. I just don't think he is on the same level of say Ray Lewis, Jeremiah Trotter, Lavar Arrington, Zach Thomas, Derrick Brooks etc. He may be a solid pro, but nothing special. A large number of his tackles were assisted. His large number of tackles can also possibly be attributed to a weaker defensive line than in previous eras. Don't get me wrong, I think he was a damn good linebacker, but I don't think he is the best to ever wear the scarlet and cream.

Also, for essentially the same reasons Newearth stated, I think Eric Crouch was UNDERRATED. The 02 team was essentially the same as the 01 team minus him and I think we can all see what kind of impact he had on that team.

So to answer the original question:

Overrated: Barrett Ruud

Underrated: Eric Crouch

Also agree with Incognito, Craver, Fabian, Dan Alexander, T. Wistrom as being overrated.

Underrated: Eric Warfield

Overrated: Bobbie Newcombe

Love the underrated pick in Warfield. but to be fair to Newk, he wasn't overrated until after injuries. His frosh year he was every bit as advertised. It was not living up to what he did that freshman year that maybe makes him "overrated". He showed flashes every now and then after that (last minute catch vs CU in 2000). but not very often.

as for Crouch- He was the drug that kept us believing everything was A-ok with the future of Husker football. IMO it started to fall apart as soon as McBride retired. Crouch allowed us to be naive for a couple more years.

Incognito is another "overrated" nominee that i agree with. the guy was probably the best lineman we've had recently. but unfortunatly that's not really saying a whole lot. He's certainly no Shields/Wiegert/Stai/Dish-- well you know.

was it Aaron Graham that said something about Incognito not being able to start on some of the 90s lines?? someone may know the actual comment and the former player, i can't even remember. :dumdum

as for Crouch- He was the drug that kept us believing everything was A-ok with the future of Husker football... {snip}Crouch allowed us to be naive for a couple more years.

and when huskerland went cold-turkey, the results weren't pretty.

i miss crouch.

Saying Crouch was overrated is a bit to extreme. I would rather have Eric crouch on my team then Jammal Lord or Joe Dailey (no offense to both of them). I think Crouch was the last Husker since 2001 to play the game with heart. He loved football and even now, no matter how many times he's been flopping, he still won't give up and is determined to play the game. My pick for overrated would have to be Bernard Thomas. He had a mouth on him like a train that kept derailing. To many empty promises.

Underrated player: T Farley

When you ask husker fans about their favorite blackshirts, you get names like The Peter brothers, Grant Wistrom, Trev Alberts, Jared Tomich, Mike Anderson, but rarely does his name ever pop up as a first option

To chime in on the underrated player, I think a strong case could be made for Jamaal Lord. He was a great athlete, and would have been a tremendous fit for the option offense we had in place in the 90's. If we could have surrounded him with more talent we wouldn't have lost 7 games in 02. He was as tough a QB as we've ever had here. The guy was fearless when he'd run into defenders, and had a nice deep ball when forced to pass. I know, he couldn't hit a screen pass to save his life and might have kept the option himself a tad too much, but as a PURE OPTION QB, Lord was pretty good.

Underrated.....

MATT TURMAN

Third string QB who stepped in and handled himself very well against K-State...did not hurt that Lawrence Phillips had a heck of a game but was a gutty performance.

Overrated....

CURT DUKES

not only overrated but a whiny crybaby as well!!