Are designated cross-division opponents a good idea?

sarge87

Are Designated Cross-Division Opponents a Good Idea?

November 6, 2009 10:39 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

My colleague Ivan Maisel raises an interesting point today. Unlike the Southeastern Conference, the Big 12 doesn't designate one permanent cross-division game to be played each season. Maisel proposes that each Big 12 team play one permanent cross-divisional rival every season. His choices include Oklahoma-Nebraska, Texas-Colorado, Oklahoma State-Missouri, Texas Tech-Kansas, Texas A&M-Kansas State and Baylor-Iowa State.

The thinking would be that one designated opponent could provide some stability with a traditional rival. The other five opponents from a conference then could be part of a rolling schedule where two others would be played each season with three others not. A new nondivision opponent would then be designated each year over a five-season period.

While the idea makes some sense, it's not the best one. I still favor the idea of each team in the conference playing every team in the league every season, but we'll never see that. Coaches and administrators fear that kind of schedule would be too difficult. Even if it would be the fairest for the schools and the most entertaining for fans.

I don't have many problems with the current schedule because I think it's inherently fair. Basically, Big 12 teams play three teams in the conference for two straight seasons and then play the other three teams during the next four-season cycle. It means that Big 12 teams play each team from the other division once at home and once on the road during a four-season period.

But having a designated partner from the other division would be a way to promote parity in the conference. If the stronger teams had to play each other every season, it would challenge them more than if they played a lesser team from the other conference.

With that in mind, here are the cross-divisional games I would suggest, if the conference absolutely has to go to them.

Texas-Colorado: A traditional rivalry that provided some great games before the Big 12 was created. And there's a natural rivalry between them that's bigger than the fact the Buffaloes beat out Texas for Darrell Scott. I've always had the perception during my trips to the Centennial State that Texans aren't Coloradoans' favorite tourists.

Kansas State-Texas A&M: These two teams staged the greatest Big 12 championship game in history with the Aggies' wild double-overtime victory in 1998. Both programs started in 1902 and they were playing each other 10 years later. The Wildcats have dominated the series recently, including a 62-14 beatdown earlier in the season, but A&M earlier had won five straight starting with the championship game.

Missouri-Texas Tech: The most proficient spread offensive teams in both conferences would make for an interesting game as long as Gary Pinkel and Mike Leach are there. Interestingly, the Tigers have dominated the series recently as they've averaged 47 points per game. But these teams would figure to stage some entertaining shootouts if they played every season.

Oklahoma-Nebraska: Sure, it would be unfair to these two teams if they played each other every season and other teams played lesser cross-divisional opponents. But tradition comes with a cost. That's what made this battle so good over the years was watching these teams test each other in one of the most respectful rivalries in college football. It would be the same way if they started playing every season again.

Oklahoma State-Kansas: These schools are only 219 miles apart as the crow flies. And while it might be a better basketball rivalry between these two old Big Eight rivals, it wouldn't be too bad for football, either. It's always been a competitive matchup, with Kansas holding a 29-28-3 lead. A battle between Mike Gundy and Mark Mangino every season might prompt some memorable sound bites.

Baylor-Iowa State: The conference's two traditional bottom-feeders would develop into a strong rivalry if they played every season. Iowa State holds a 5-4 edge, but it would be an intriguing game between two underrated head coaches in Art Briles and Paul Rhoads. And it would be a good way to gauge the relative strength of each conference every season.

I'm curious if readers agree with the idea of designated cross-division rivals.

And if so, which teams would you pair against each other every season?

This would give us more respectability like the SEC (unjustly) gets.

Course it also opens the door for more pac 10/big10 schools getting into the national title game. To neutralize everything just take out the championship game (I know money and all)

I think we should just toss all the schools with Texass in their name and let everyone play everyone each season...the Big 9.

I would change it to Tech vs Kansas.

Cuz that's just fun stuff watching the Raiders destroy the Jayhawks (the last two years).

Overall I hate the current scheduled format. North plays the same North teams every year. Boring. This was suppose to be a super conference when first merged. Instead its too damn divided. The emphasis isnt on the Big 12 Conference. Instead its about the North & South divisions. :dumdum