Looking Long-Term at our QB Position (post Lee)

Let's please not try to turn this into a Green vs Lee smackdown, please. With only one year of eligibility left, this thread isn't even intended to be about Lee.

I've been fond of Green as our long-term quarterback prospect, but last night I saw something that concerned me for the long-term. Maybe I wasn't seeing what I thought, and there will be those of you that can make me feel better.

I've always viewed Cody as a dual-threat quarterback and was willing to overlook some errant passing in his freshman year as he grew into the role of starting quarterback. Last night, however, I saw a quarterback that did not have that "burst out of the hole" that is necessary to successfully run some of our running plays like the option. Granted, once he gets up a head of steam he really can fly, but in many cases you need a qb that is quick from dead stop instead of fast. While errant passing can be fixed with a lot of practice, I'm worried that you can't fix a lack of quickness.

I'd like to convince myself that the perceived lack of quickness is because of his physical size making him look like he is accelerating more slowly than he truly is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If you agree, what kind of an offense do you design around someone like him?

Something I noticed Last night that i really had never watched before was When green is in at Qb we have 3-4 Recievers out and one back But yet we run! with Lee out there, we have a rb, Fb, And Te's once in awhile a reciever and we try to throw. wouldn't It make more sence to run out of the formation's that lee was in last night and throw out of the one's Green was in?

Yeah, there was a little lack of a first step burst last nite from Green. My bother was at the game and texted me if, on TV, Green looked shaky or nervous or something...

I said no, and that if they keep running those option plays, it looks like they could open up some lanes for us. But I think the main thing was just his inexperience in big time college games. Not so much that he didn't have a burst (cuz you don't just lose a step) more so because I think he was just plain hesitant and not fully confident to just go make plays. When he battles this offseason and if he earns the right to start, the players will respond and will believe in him which will help him believe in himself. Let his natural ability take over rather than trying to 'make decisions'....

Both Lee and Green can get better this year and since we have a bowl game now, we have extra practices to give them time to do so. Something in the way they are coached may need to be adjusted as well. The whole offense is in, "I hope I don't mess up" mode. Maybe the coaches could ask them, as individuals and as a whole, what they feel comfortable running and what type of offense they could attach their identity to so that they can begin to buy into their system and take a confident ownership of their side of the ball.

Let's please not try to turn this into a Green vs Lee smackdown, please. With only one year of eligibility left, this thread isn't even intended to be about Lee.

I've been fond of Green as our long-term quarterback prospect, but last night I saw something that concerned me for the long-term. Maybe I wasn't seeing what I thought, and there will be those of you that can make me feel better.

I've always viewed Cody as a dual-threat quarterback and was willing to overlook some errant passing in his freshman year as he grew into the role of starting quarterback. Last night, however, I saw a quarterback that did not have that "burst out of the hole" that is necessary to successfully run some of our running plays like the option. Granted, once he gets up a head of steam he really can fly, but in many cases you need a qb that is quick from dead stop instead of fast. While errant passing can be fixed with a lot of practice, I'm worried that you can't fix a lack of quickness.

I'd like to convince myself that the perceived lack of quickness is because of his physical size making him look like he is accelerating more slowly than he truly is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If you agree, what kind of an offense do you design around someone like him?

[/quote/]

When i see Green run it reminds me of Vince Young. Now i am not saying he is as good as Vince, but just the long strides. I think the long strides are decieving, it makes him look like he is moving slower than he really is. Also i love how strong Green is and how he is willing to run right through DB's

OU's defense is really good and i think added to Green not looking so green.

Green was in his second start against one of the premier front sevens in all of college football. Not sure any of us would really have a "successful" game.

The reason Green was in the shotgun set was because he is still the better runner than Lee, and spreading out the field plays to his strengths as a runner.

We have seen both types of runners from CG. The one that breaks a big one (FAU and ULL) or he bumps into a linemen and falls to the ground (last night). We know what he is capable of, but consistency is the question.

No you saw right. There's been enough plays this year with Green to see this. Green is good running in open spaces. He's not quick. He doesnt lower his shoulder like Frost or Frazier or Crouch or Lord and provide the hit. He doesnt make tacklers miss in the open field. So far, he is a QB that likes to run with the ball when he cant make a decision to pass. He should be serviceable, but is not the QB superstar as so many advid fans of his imagine him.

Cody Green has dual-ability. But he aint no dual-threat. Neither is Lee.

If you want to see a real dual threat QB that makes plays running & throwing, look at Cincinnati's backup QB Collaros. He is a threat to run or throw. Just compare his ability & what he's accomplished with his chance with an offense, to what we have with Lee and Green. Because 10 out of 10 coaches and teams would take Collaros over what we have in a heartbeat. So would I.

The NU coaches need to bring a couple of top notch QB's and stop settling for whoever they can get.

Agreed.. but we just haven't had much luck in the 2000's with our top notch qb's panning out.. Kurt Dukes, Harrison Beck to name a few.

I definatly don't think the best thing for Green's development is to play him but he is our best option at qb... plan and simple and even though he may not be ready we got to let our best players play because we are contending for the north and hopefully he'll take some beatings this year and learn from them over the winter and spring and will benefit us next year...

My opinion is that we need to let him develop this year and next and rely on our defense and find out if he's going to be the guy in the future... if not its a great recruiting tool that the position is wide open and there for the taking.

No you saw right. There's been enough plays this year with Green to see this. Green is good running in open spaces. He's not quick. He doesnt lower his shoulder like Frost or Frazier or Crouch or Lord and provide the hit. He doesnt make tacklers miss in the open field. So far, he is a QB that likes to run with the ball when he cant make a decision to pass. He should be serviceable, but is not the QB superstar as so many advid fans of his imagine him.

Cody Green has dual-ability. But he aint no dual-threat. Neither is Lee.

If you want to see a real dual threat QB that makes plays running & throwing, look at Cincinnati's backup QB Collaros. He is a threat to run or throw. Just compare his ability & what he's accomplished with his chance with an offense, to what we have with Lee and Green. Because 10 out of 10 coaches and teams would take Collaros over what we have in a heartbeat. So would I.

And you know this because of two starts for a true freshman? Collaros was also learning from tony pike not zac lee when he got there and is getting to take all the first team reps. You dont know if Green is going to be a superstar and neither do I but the kid is 19 and started two games dont write him off yet. There is alot of QB's that it takes alittle while to play really good. U mentioned Frost he sucked his first year starting and I think he was a Junior at the time. Collaros also has playmakers on his team like Gilliyard or whatever his name is and who do we have for playmakers niles paul? dont think so. And im guessing they have a better line to.

The NU coaches need to bring a couple of top notch QB's and stop settling for whoever they can get.

Really so you want to rely on stars for determining top notch instead of what the coaches think. Sam Bradford, Colt Mccoy, Todd Ressing, Chase Daniels where all three stars or lower and I dont think Ganz was all that bad and he was a two star recruit. I will let the coaches do their job and trust who they recruit. Lee wasnt Bo's recruit and Green was his first QB who has started two games you dont know what he will do in the future.