TCU, Stars & Final Rankings

Livin' in Dallas, I hear about the TCU Horn Frogs alot these days. Actually, there is quite a following here despite the obvious TX/OU fans in the area.

I have alot of respect for the TCU program and personally, would love to see the Huskers add this quality opponent and recruiting area to the schedule.

Decides this morning to do some investigation on this program's recruiting and final rankings. In my research, I used Rivals for the rankings and I used the AP Top 25 for the final rankings.

Here's the info:

Year Recruiting Rankings (Rivals) Final Rankings (AP Top 25)

2010 60 Next Season

2009 46 Currently #4

2008 96 #7

2007 80 Out of Top 25

2006 61 #22

2005 54 #11

2004 55 Out of Top 25

2003 69 #25

2002 79 #23

Here's some interest notes on their recruiting. In 2002 they only had five recruits with with 4 (two) or 3 stars (three). In most years they did not have any four star recruits. In 3-4 of these recruiting years they had no four star recruits.

I'll reserve my thoughts. Hope you enjoy the research and read.

SheepdogMark

Not to discredit TCU, Boise St, Utah or the other teams accomplishments, but if they had to play the same schedule week in and week out of the Big 12 or SEC, they'd be in a much different position.

Probably true ... they would probably get alot better recruits wouldn't they?

Sounds like you might be in favor of playing them as well ... so they wouldn't be discredited ... would that be correct?

Traditionally, in say the past 5-10 years, who are the "tough" teams we play? Just curious who you think we play that makes our schedule so "respectful"?

SheepdogMark

Not to discredit TCU, Boise St, Utah or the other teams accomplishments, but if they had to play the same schedule week in and week out of the Big 12 or SEC, they'd be in a much different position.

that is the standard argument, and one i usually support, but i don't think it applies to this year's TCU team (or last year's utah team). they've got real talent and good coaching. if someone (hopefully NU) can knock off texas, i hope to see TCU show they belong in the title game.

boise state's got some talent as well, but i don't think they'd survive a real schedule undefeated.

that is the standard argument, and one i usually support, but i don't think it applies to this year's TCU team (or last year's utah team). they've got real talent and good coaching. if someone (hopefully NU) can knock off texas, i hope to see TCU show they belong in the title game.

boise state's got some talent as well, but i don't think they'd survive a real schedule undefeated.

If you manhandle a solid Alabama team, you would roll through the majority of the Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10, Big East or SEC schedule

If you manhandle a solid Alabama team, you would roll through the majority of the Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10, Big East or SEC schedule

Those teams excel with decent coaching in poor conferences, we saw what happened to Koetter at ASU and then what's happened to Hawkins at CU.

They might recruit better at bigger schools, but most have flopped when they stepped up.

I'm not saying they'd be bottom feeders in the Big 12, and either would probably win the North this year, but I think we could hang with either team.

That's a false mentality, one game should never be a indicator of something else. Alabama had a huge let down, and was missing some of their better players. It's a great win when Boise St. beats OU, or Utah beats Alabama, but it doesn't mean they could compete against the same schedule.

Here are the Rival Rankins for Boise State "talent".

2010 - Currently 77

2009 - 72

2008 - 89

2007 - 68

2006 - 70

2005 - 64

2004 - 85

2003 - 101

2002 - 74

Pretty amazing ... especially consider we have open dates to play a team like this but can't/won't play them.

They must have some great coaching and a really pathetic schedule ... how can someone build a competitive team with these kinds of rankings?

Might have to do some research and see how these teams fair against top competition. Who do you think comes out on top of that one folks? Curious to hear others thoughts.

SheepdogMark

Here is TCU's Schedule - personally, don't see their schedule as tougher than ours. Especially when you consider that their "pre-season" has three out of four tough non-conference games. Also, don't forget they don't get as many "home" games as our Huskers ... they play alot of games on the road ... and some of these teams are Top 25 and on the road.

Mon, Sep 1 at Tulane W 38-35 --

Sat, Sep 6 Navy W 17-3 --

Sat, Sep 20 Vanderbilt W 30-14 --

Sat, Sep 27 at Arizona W 13-10 --

Sat, Oct 4 Army W 27-0 --

Fri, Oct 10 at South Florida W 13-10 --

Sat, Oct 18 UAB W 27-24 --

Sat, Oct 25 at Houston W 62-55 --

Wed, Nov 5 Louisville W 31-28 --

Sat, Nov 15 Cincinnati W 43-10 --

Thu, Nov 20 at Southern Miss L 28-40 --

Sat, Nov 29 at Southern Methodist W 20-13 --

Thu, Sep 2 Northwestern W 48-45 --

Sat, Sep 11 Southern Methodist W 44-0 --

Sat, Sep 18 at Texas Tech L 35-70 --

Sat, Sep 25 South Florida L 44-45 --

Sat, Oct 2 at Army W 21-17 --

Fri, Oct 15 at UAB L 25-41 --

Sat, Oct 23 Houston W 34-27 --

Sat, Oct 30 at Cincinnati L 10-21 --

Wed, Nov 10 at (12) Louisville L 28-55 --

Sat, Nov 20 Southern Miss W 42-17 --

Sat, Nov 27 Tulane L 31-35 --

Sat, Sep 3 at (7) Oklahoma W 17-10 --

Sat, Sep 10 at Southern Methodist L 10-21 --

Thu, Sep 15 Utah W 23-20 --

Sat, Sep 24 at Brigham Young W 51-50 --

Sat, Oct 1 New Mexico W 49-28 --

Sat, Oct 8 at Wyoming W 28-14 --

Sat, Oct 15 Army W 38-17 --

Sat, Oct 22 at Air Force W 48-10 --

Sat, Oct 29 at San Diego State W 23-20 --

Sat, Nov 5 Colorado State W 33-6 --

Sat, Nov 12 UNLV W 51-3 --

Sun, Sep 3 at Baylor W 17-7 --

Sat, Sep 9 California-Davis W 46-13 --

Sat, Sep 16 (24) Texas Tech W 12-3 --

Thu, Sep 28 Brigham Young L 17-31 --

Thu, Oct 5 at Utah L 7-20 --

Sat, Oct 21 at Army W 31-17 --

Sat, Oct 28 Wyoming W 26-3 --

Sat, Nov 4 at UNLV W 25-10 --

Sat, Nov 11 at New Mexico W 27-21 --

Sat, Nov 18 San Diego State W 52-0 --

Sat, Nov 25 at Colorado State W 45-14 --

Sat, Dec 2 Air Force W 38-14 --

Sat, Sep 1 Baylor W 27-0 --

Sat, Sep 8 at (7) Texas L 13-34 --

Thu, Sep 13 at Air Force L 17-20 --

Sat, Sep 22 Southern Methodist W 21-7 --

Sat, Sep 29 Colorado State W 24-12 --

Sat, Oct 6 at Wyoming L 21-24 --

Sat, Oct 13 at Stanford W 38-36 --

Thu, Oct 18 Utah L 20-27 --

Sat, Nov 3 New Mexico W 37-0 --

Thu, Nov 8 at Brigham Young L 22-27 --

Sat, Nov 17 UNLV W 34-10 --

Sat, Nov 24 at San Diego State W 45-33 --

Sat, Aug 30 at New Mexico W 26-3 --

Sat, Sep 6 Stephen F. Austin W 67-7 --

Sat, Sep 13 Stanford W 31-14 --

Sat, Sep 20 at Southern Methodist W 48-7 --

Sat, Sep 27 at (2) Oklahoma L 10-35 --

Sat, Oct 4 San Diego State W 41-7 --

Sat, Oct 11 at Colorado State W 13-7 --

Thu, Oct 16 (9) Brigham Young W 32-7 --

Sat, Oct 25 Wyoming W 54-7 --

Sat, Nov 1 at UNLV W 44-14 --

Thu, Nov 6 at (10) Utah L 10-13 --

Sat, Nov 22 Air Force W 44-10 --

Sat, Sep 12 at Virginia W 30-14 Audio

Sat, Sep 19 Texas State W 56-21 Audio

Sat, Sep 26 at Clemson W 14-10 Audio

Sat, Oct 3 Southern Methodist W 39-14 Audio

Sat, Oct 10 at Air Force W 20-17 Audio

Sat, Oct 17 Colorado State W 44-6 Audio

Sat, Oct 24 at (16) Brigham Young W 38-7 Audio

Sat, Oct 31 UNLV W 41-0 Audio

Sat, Nov 7 at San Diego State W 55-12 Audio

Sat, Nov 14 (16) Utah W 55-28 Audio

Sat, Nov 21 at Wyoming 2:00 pm Audio

Sat, Nov 28 New Mexico 1:00 pm Audio

Excuse me ... do we play Top 25 teams and beat them? How would we fair against the SF's, Louisville's, Cinci's, Southern Miss's, Utah's, BYU's, and even Colorado St?

We do know how we fair against teams like OU, Baylor, TT, Texas in past years ... don't we usually lose three our of four of these?

So then, how do we fair against there second teir type non-conference teams ... Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Virginia, Clemson, Southern Miss?

To me, we "discredit" teams like this ... and then you look at what they have to due to get "respect" ... and what they accomplish ... to me ... I respect these teams for what they have accomplished.

SheepdogMark

Look how well we did against Sun Belt teams, which probably aren't much different from the WAC (excluding Boise St). Put NU in the WAC, then give us a D1AA team, a couple of MACs, and it basically becomes a one game season, with 3-4 games we could lose if everything went bad (like the Iowa St game). Get up for that one game, and we're likely unbeaten. And we're not that good of a team, certainly not as good as Boise St this year, but I don't think Boise runs through the Big 12 nearly like they run through the WAC. Not even the north + 3 random south teams. I think there are a dozen or more teams that could have done with Boise St has done this year.

The Mountain West is a tougher conference, with TCU, Utah, BYU, and Air Force, then it falls off a lot. TCU also played a couple of ACC schools. If they finish unbeaten, I'll have a lot more respect for that accomplishment.

I'm already on record as saying I'd like to play Boise State. I have no problem getting TCU on the schedule either.

This is right along the same lines that I have been saying for a while now. On average you will find that the teams that are at the top of the recruiting rankings will be at the top of the bcs rankings. of course every once in a while you're going to get a shake up with a bcs buster, but on average thats bc they don't play the same talent as other conferences do. when you have very good coaching, which I believe both cinci and tcu have excellent coaching, mixed with personnel to fit exactly what you're doing good things happen. tcu, however, is one of the teams that I don't see would fall off if they did play in a bcs conference bc they have obviously done outstanding at going out and finding athletes to fit what they need. i don't think one team changes my mind about recruiting though. i think its more of a testement to patterson and his assistants than anything else.

Boise State schedule isn't as tough as TCU ... in most people's view. I would agree.

Here are some noteable schedule/scores from past years against good teams that year:

Sat, Sep 20 at Oregon State L 24-26 --

Thu, Oct 30 at Brigham Young W 50-12 --

Fri, Sep 10 Oregon State W 53-34 --

Fri, Sep 24 Brigham Young W 28-27 --

Fri, Oct 29 Hawaii W 69-3 --

Sat, Sep 3 at (13) Georgia L 13-48 --

Sat, Sep 10 at Oregon State L 27-30 --

Thu, Nov 10 at (20) Fresno State L 7-27 --

Thu, Sep 7 Oregon State W 42-14 --

Sat, Sep 23 Hawaii W 41-34 --

Sat, Sep 30 at Utah W 36-3 --

Sat, Sep 8 at Washington L 10-24 --

Thu, Sep 27 Southern Miss W 38-16 --

Fri, Nov 23 at (14) Hawaii L 27-39 --

Sat, Sep 20 at (17) Oregon W 37-32 --

Sat, Oct 11 at Southern Miss W 24-7 --

Fri, Oct 17 Hawaii W 27-7 --

Thu, Sep 3 (16) Oregon W 19-8 --

Wed, Oct 14 at Tulsa W 28-21 --

It would be interesting to see how we would fair against an "easier" schedule with these teams in those years on our schedule. Again, the simple point is that for alot of years we played 3-4 really easy non-conference games and we had teams like Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State that were total "puff" teams.

In recent years our league has gotten tougher, yes, but it's not like we face week in and out tougher schedules that 3, 4 or 5 other leagues. From memory, I can't recall that we always have a "real tough" strength of schedule.

Just some more research numbers to add to the conversation.

I must be bored today on my day off.

SheepdogMark

Thu, Sep 2 Northwestern W 48-45 --

Sat, Sep 11 Southern Methodist W 44-0 --

Sat, Sep 18 at Texas Tech L 35-70 --

Sat, Sep 25 South Florida L 44-45 --

Sat, Oct 2 at Army W 21-17 --

Fri, Oct 15 at UAB L 25-41 --

Sat, Oct 23 Houston W 34-27 --

Sat, Nov 27 Tulane L 31-35 --

We played Southern Miss this same year as TCU (2004). We started that season playing Western Illinois and won 56-17. Having "fresh legs" and not a "tough schedule" ... we went on the road to play Southern Miss ... here was the result.

Sat, Sep 11 Southern Miss L 17-21 --

That same year TCU beat Southern Miss at the END of the season and after playing AT Cincinnati and losing and AT Louisville, who at the time was #12 in the country.

Scores:

SheepdogMark