TCU, Stars & Final Rankings

Quick quiz, don't look up the answer--what is Boise State's record in the last 5 bowl games?

One piece of info, they have played 2 games against BCS conference schools.

Boise does have one advantage from playing a lighter regular season schedule. They don't get nearly as banged up from taking NFL caliber hits over the course of their schedule like the BCS teams do. Do you think OU has as many injuries as they've had this year if they play Boise's schedule? They might . . . but I doubt it. Having your starters healthy for the duration of the season is HUGE.

In 2004, we played Southern Miss in the first game of the year, at HOME ... and lost 17-21.

In 2007, Boise State played Southern Miss five (5) games into the season AT Southern Miss ... and even after playing #17 Oregon, at Oregon ... won the game 37-32.

Interesting ... and opposite of the argument presented ... again, Boise State doesnt' play anybody. Yet they beat the teams we play ... even after they are wore down (well I guess I can't really say that because if you don't play anybody then you really can't get wore down) and we are fresh ... but we use an argument that states "we play a tough schedule" and they play a "weak schedule".

Interesting,

SheepdogMark

Wait . . . are you really comparing teams that are 3 years apart (04 Southern Miss and 07 Southern Miss) and claiming that they ares somehow similar? (not to mention the fact that you are comparing one of our worst teams in the last 40 years and one of Boise's best teams). Your arguments are making my head spin.

Let's make this easy: Would Boise State be undefeated if they played in the SEC? Would TCU? I doubt it.

"Wait . . . are you really comparing teams that are 3 years apart (04 Southern Miss and 07 Southern Miss) and claiming that they ares somehow similar? (not to mention the fact that you are comparing one of our worst teams in the last 40 years and one of Boise's best teams). Your arguments are making my head spin.

Let's make this easy: Would Boise State be undefeated if they played in the SEC? Would TCU? I doubt it."

Comparing the logic used ... yes.

And regarding your last statement ... I agree. And what do you think would occur if TCU played our schedule this year? I'd submit to you that they would would fair quite well ... and that's without having all the home games and without the recruiting rankings.

Sure it's a debate ... I would grant that Boise State would have the same record as us this year if they played our schedule.

I've never entered the debate of "undefeated" ... I've just noticed how Husker fans that seem to discredit these teams ... all the while we somehow would be lowering ourselves if we played them.

Thanks for your input ... sorry if I make your head spin ... I posted for the same reason however.

SheepdogMark

Comparing the logic used ... yes.

And regarding your last statement ... I agree. And what do you think would occur if TCU played our schedule this year? I'd submit to you that they would would fair quite well ... and that's without having all the home games and without the recruiting rankings.

Sure it's a debate ... I would grant that Boise State would have the same record as us this year if they played our schedule.

I've never entered the debate of "undefeated" ... I've just noticed how Husker fans that seem to discredit these teams ... all the while we somehow would be lowering ourselves if we played them.

Thanks for your input ... sorry if I make your head spin ... I posted for the same reason however.

SheepdogMark

I'm not saying we would be lowering ourselves to play them. I think both TCU and Boise State are probably playing at or a bit above Nebraska's level this year. I think if they played our schedule our records would be similar. (they'd probably lose to VaTech and Oklahoma, maybe to TT and MU.)

And I'd probably argue that their recruiting (just looking at talent, not at stars) is similar to Nebraska.

Quick quiz, don't look up the answer--what is Boise State's record in the last 5 bowl games?

Boise does have one advantage from playing a lighter regular season schedule. They don't get nearly as banged up from taking NFL caliber hits over the course of their schedule like the BCS teams do. Do you think OU has as many injuries as they've had this year if they play Boise's schedule? They might . . . but I doubt it. Having your starters healthy for the duration of the season is HUGE.

In 2004, we played Southern Miss in the first game of the year, at HOME ... and lost 17-21.

In 2007, Boise State played Southern Miss five (5) games into the season AT Southern Miss ... and even after playing #17 Oregon, at Oregon ... won the game 37-32.

Interesting ... and opposite of the argument presented ... again, Boise State doesnt' play anybody. Yet they beat the teams we play ... even after they are wore down (well I guess I can't really say that because if you don't play anybody then you really can't get wore down) and we are fresh ... but we use an argument that states "we play a tough schedule" and they play a "weak schedule".

Interesting,

SheepdogMark

Wait . . . are you really comparing teams that are 3 years apart (04 Southern Miss and 07 Southern Miss) and claiming that they ares somehow similar? (not to mention the fact that you are comparing one of our worst teams in the last 40 years and one of Boise's best teams). Your arguments are making my head spin.

Let's make this easy: Would Boise State be undefeated if they played in the SEC? Would TCU? I doubt it.

On a humorous note ... I'm sure we would have gone undefeated in that 2004 season ... had we had a schedule like Boise State that year ... right?!!?

SheepdogMark

Interesting,

SheepdogMark

On a humorous note ... I'm sure we would have gone undefeated in that 2004 season ... had we had a schedule like Boise State that year ... right?!!?

SheepdogMark

With Billy C as the coach?! Absolutely not. With Bo? I'd like our chances. Other than BYU, Oregon State, and Louisville (bowl game) who would even be a challenge?

I've just got a couple of things to address, then I'm probably bowing out of this thread, because I don't think Sheepdog and I are really trying to address the same point. I'm not certain exactly what he's going for, and I don't know that I'm even sure what I'm going for or want to try to make a full effort to explain it. Just for example, I have no idea why he keeps going back to our 2004 Southern Miss game. It's not any part of what I'm talking about. If we had played Boise State the last 8 years, we'd have been very lucky to have broken even with them. But I'll tell you what, you toss out their UC Davis game for Nebraska, and their season changes quite a bit, I think.

1971 Colorado, he asked where I got #3 from. That was their final ranking, exactly as I said. Find any final AP poll ranking for 1971. http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~dwilson/rsf...ory/index.shtml is my starting point for most historical information in college football, with links to polls, scores, standings, etc. We beat the teams that FINISHED 2-3-4. If you want to look at where they were when we played them, they were 8-2-2. It was a pretty easy schedule if you were going for 10-3, or maybe even 11-2, but a ball buster to go 13-0.

As far as why we didn't beat VTech or other singularly tough early season games surrounded by cupcakes, it's more than being fresh for that one game. Mentally you don't get up for that game quite as much when you have Oklahoma down the road, and what looked to be a huge game against Missouri not too far away. Plus, you may not pull out all of the stops in the playbook yet. McBride was famous for running very vanilla defenses early in the year, and then Colorado and even the bowl opponent would face variations they'd never seen. The great teams of the mid 90s could do that because their vanilla defense could hold the other team enough for our offense to outscore them. When we weren't as good, we had to pull more out early, but still we'd try to keep something under wraps. If you're only tough game is early in the season (i.e. Boise St vs Oregon), you don't hold anything at all back, on either side of the ball.

The thread seems to have started about recruiting stars. TCU and Boise State are outliers. Statistically there will always be some that do better than expected, and some that do worse. But randomly pick a school that gets 3-5* players vs. a team with 0-2* players, and I'll take the 3-5* team without knowing anything else. And I'll be right most every time, but not always. Even 4 years later, the NFL can't always evaluate talent correctly, as some top 10 draft picks flame out and some late rounders or free agents go all-pro. Why do you think colleges and recruiting services can nail down high school kids? I don't even know for sure what the point to be made here was. Patterson and Peterson are great coaches who get a lot out of lesser talent, and/or know how to find hidden gems. Osborne was like that too. He had better talent, but also took them to the very top.

For me, don't have any respect for the East Carolina program. Outside of that ... all those teams were good teams, except maybe UTEP and Iowa State.

That ECU team had Chris Johnson, you know the guy who's leading the NFL in rushing this season. They definitely weren't a bad team that year, they just had some let downs during the middle. IIRC that team beat Va Tech in Va Tech's first game after the College shooting.