TCU, Stars & Final Rankings

I see a good mix of L's on those past Boise St's schedule, which re-enforces my point. Give them a few tougher games, and they're a lot less likely to go unbeaten.

I'm not backing Callahan's 2004 team against anyone. All I said was put this year's Husker team against this year's Boise St schedule, and we've basically got one hurdle. Maybe we wouldn't run it, but put any other top 10 or 15 team there and they probably would. You can point out that some of those teams lost to a team worse than Oregon, but if they don't wear down playing other tough games, they have a lot better chance in that one Oregon-type game.

And I'm not talking about having maybe 1/2 your schedule being creampuffs. I'm talking about nearly all of it. There's a big difference if you're trying to go unbeaten.

I see a good mix of L's on those past Boise St's schedule, which re-enforces my point. Give them a few tougher games, and they're a lot less likely to go unbeaten.

I'm not backing Callahan's 2004 team against anyone. All I said was put this year's Husker team against this year's Boise St schedule, and we've basically got one hurdle. Maybe we wouldn't run it, but put any other top 10 or 15 team there and they probably would. You can point out that some of those teams lost to a team worse than Oregon, but if they don't wear down playing other tough games, they have a lot better chance in that one Oregon-type game.

And I'm not talking about having maybe 1/2 your schedule being creampuffs. I'm talking about nearly all of it. There's a big difference if you're trying to go unbeaten.

Dont forget the advantage of the imfamous blue field!!

Ya, I remember that 97 season, cause I went to the Missouri game ... that season we played some very weak teams.

We struggled with Central Florida, who was a nobody at the time. We beat a good Washington team. From what I recall, the entire North was very weak that year ... and OU was terrible. We were lucky to beat MU and Coloroad played us tough, even though we were far better.

We had alot of talent thay year ... and we had a very weak schedule ... based off my opinion and that of the day. We beat A&M in the championship and Tennessee for the crown.

I suppose the case could made that year that we had a very weak schedule ... we played a good Washington team ... but we were "fresh" ... then basically didn't play anybody until the championship game ... and we were fully rested.

I'd just like to point out that if this is "how the argument goes" then it has to be true for the Huskers as well ... as this was not a tough schedule at all ... and are non-conference always is and IMHO even our Big 12 schedule isn't any tougher than most schools like us ... probably easier than most when you factor in our non-conference and all the home games we get.

Sat, Aug 30 Akron 6 - Memorial Stadium 59 - 14 (W)

Sat, Sep 13 Central Florida 6 - Memorial Stadium 38 - 24 (W)

Sat, Sep 20 Washington 7 2 at Seattle, Wash. 27 - 14 (W)

Sat, Oct 04 Kansas State 3 17 Memorial Stadium 56 - 26 (W)

Sat, Oct 11 Baylor 3 - at Waco, Texas 49 - 21 (W)

Sat, Oct 18 Texas Tech 2 - Memorial Stadium 29 - 0 (W)

Sat, Oct 25 Kansas 1 - at Lawrence, Kan. 35 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 01 Oklahoma 1 - Memorial Stadium 69 - 7 (W)

Sat, Nov 08 Missouri 1 - at Columbia, Mo. 45 - 38 (W) OT

Sat, Nov 15 Iowa State 3 - Memorial Stadium 77 - 14 (W)

Fri, Nov 28 Colorado 2 - at Boulder, Colo. 27 - 24 (W)

SheepdogMark

Dont forget the advantage of the imfamous blue field!!

So what do you think our record would be this past seven (7) years against a TCU or a Boise St?

My opinion ... we would probably have 3 wins and 4 losses with TCU.

My opinion ... we would probably have 4 wins and 3 losses with Boise St.

Those opinions are with us having the home field for all games and Lord willing ... an easy schedule so we don't get wore out. :sarcasm

SheepdogMark

Va Husker,

I like your points here ... that's a good argument ... and I can't disagree with you much.

The bigger conversation is what a team like TCU or Boise State is bringing to the table year after year. It's not like these teams are "one hit wonders". They seem to get discredited for continual success on the merit that they play nobody.

I can look at our 71 team and say we didn't play anybody, except OU. Oregon and Minnesota didn't really have a football team then. We played A&M. Of course, we played Utah State and Hawaii (those two teams can't count as football teams because they don't for TCU or Boise St) and at that time ... these two school really were like Div. II schools. Hawaii was actually our last game of that season after the classic game with OU.

SheepdogMark

1997 - Washington was #2 when we beat them, though they finished toward the bottom of the top 20. Kansas State finished in the top 10. Tennessee was #3, finished in the top 10. A&M finished in the top 20, Missouri in the top 25. That's not a Boise schedule.

1971 - You are far, far off here. We beat back to back #2s. Colorado finished #3. The rest of the schedule was not that tough at all, but how many teams have gone undefeated and beaten the final 2, 3, and 4 teams?

1971 - You are far, far off here. We beat back to back #2s. Colorado finished #3. The rest of the schedule was not that tough at all, but how many teams have gone undefeated and beaten the final 2, 3, and 4 teams?

:yeah

People always like to talk sh!t on the 71 and 95 teams like we didn't play anyone, but as you said, we beat the #2, 3 and 4 team in 71 and took down 3 top 10 teams in 95 (2 on the road).

Quick quiz, don't look up the answer--what is Boise State's record in the last 5 bowl games?

One piece of info, they have played 2 games against BCS conference schools.

Boise does have one advantage from playing a lighter regular season schedule. They don't get nearly as banged up from taking NFL caliber hits over the course of their schedule like the BCS teams do. Do you think OU has as many injuries as they've had this year if they play Boise's schedule? They might . . . but I doubt it. Having your starters healthy for the duration of the season is HUGE.

People always like to talk sh!t on the 71 and 95 teams like we didn't play anyone, but as you said, we beat the #2, 3 and 4 team in 71 and took down 3 top 10 teams in 95 (2 on the road).

I don't believe I have said that "we didn't play anybody" that year. If so, then let me correct that here and now. Other teams may say that of us ... but this thread has been about TCU and Boise St ...the schedules, the stars and the final rankings.

We did play an easy schedule ... IMHO. Remembering back, our off-season schedule had what would be called "names" today ... but the programs were "puff". I don't know where you got your "rankings" of playing teams #2, 3 and 4. That year Colorado was good and #9 at the time we played them (I used Huskers.com as my source). I also don't consider a bowl game as an "away" game. I'd call it "nuetral". Outside of OU and CU ... there certainly were more "bottom dwellers" in the "Big 8" than "compitition. I viewed the conference back then as the "Big 2". Of course, NU and OU went into the game 1-2. The last game of the year was against Alabama and they were #2. I don't count that as part of the "easy" schedule as it's the last game ... a bowl game ... it's suppose to be tough. That win proved that team was for real.

Here's the schedule and scores.

Sat, Sep 11 Oregon 2 - Memorial Stadium 34 - 7 (W)

Sat, Sep 18 Minnesota 1 - Memorial Stadium 35 - 7 (W)

Sat, Sep 25 Texas A&M 1 - Memorial Stadium 34 - 7 (W)

Sat, Oct 02 Utah State 1 - Memorial Stadium 42 - 6 (W)

Sat, Oct 09 Missouri 1 - at Columbia, Mo. 36 - 0 (W)

Sat, Oct 16 Kansas 1 - Memorial Stadium 55 - 0 (W)

Fri, Oct 22 Oklahoma State 1 - at Stillwater, Okla. 41 - 13 (W)

Sat, Oct 30 Colorado 1 9 Memorial Stadium 31 - 7 (W)

Sat, Nov 06 Iowa State 1 - Memorial Stadium 37 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 13 Kansas State 1 - at Manhattan, Kan. 44 - 17 (W)

Thu, Nov 25 Oklahoma 1 2 at Norman, Okla. 35 - 31 (W)

Sat, Dec 04 Hawaii 1 - at Honolulu, Hawaii 45 - 3 (W)

SheepdogMark

Quick quiz, don't look up the answer--what is Boise State's record in the last 5 bowl games?

Boise does have one advantage from playing a lighter regular season schedule. They don't get nearly as banged up from taking NFL caliber hits over the course of their schedule like the BCS teams do. Do you think OU has as many injuries as they've had this year if they play Boise's schedule? They might . . . but I doubt it. Having your starters healthy for the duration of the season is HUGE.

I believe that's true!

And for the record ... I wonder why we can't beat a team like Virginia Tech at the beginning of the season ... when we play the likes of Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State. Not a whole lot of NFL talent there. No injuries for us. With some of logic I hear on the board we should win every game at the beginning of the year ... and lose the games at the end ... including the bowls ... because of the tough, tough competition we play.

And for the record ... Sam Bradford was hurt playing in the first game of the year ... at home ... against a "nobody" team like BYU (who really wasn't that good). Just another TCU/Boise St. team that doesn't play anybody ... and that was at the beginning of the year before the tough Big 12 season. On the other hand ... TCU beat this same BYU team after playing seven (7) games (two of which were against OU and Florida St.) ... oh and don't forget ... TCU won 38-7 ... ON THE ROAD!

Lest anyone forget ... I'm a Husker fan ... I'm just pointed these kinds of things out because "we", meaning Husker fans ... seem to "glance over" the obvious truths or the "rest of the story" in our debates.

SheepdogMark

VA Husker ... I didn't know the answer ...

Year and bowl Winning team Losing team

1999 Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl Boise State 34 Louisville 31

2000 Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl Boise State 38 UTEP 23

2002 Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl Boise State 34 Iowa State 16

2003 PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl Boise State 34 TCU 31

2004 AutoZone Liberty Bowl Louisville 44 Boise State 40

2005 MPC Computers Bowl Boston College 27 Boise State 21

2007 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Boise State 43 Oklahoma 42

2007 Sheraton Hawaii Bowl East Carolina 41 Boise State 38

2008 Poinsettia Bowl TCU 17 Boise State 16

Looks like they lost some games to good teams. For me, don't have any respect for the East Carolina program. Outside of that ... all those teams were good teams, except maybe UTEP and Iowa State.

I don't see any "blowout" losses ... always competitive ... so, do we conclude that because they 4 out of 5 in the last bowls that that's because they don't play anybody? God I hope not. After a month or so off before the bowls I wonder how anybody can even remember how to play ... but that's another soap box.

What I do know is that Boise State has beaten all Big 12 opponets since 2002.

SheepdogMark

VA Husker ... I didn't know the answer ...

Year and bowl Winning team Losing team

1999 Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl Boise State 34 Louisville 31

2000 Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl Boise State 38 UTEP 23

2002 Crucial.com Humanitarian Bowl Boise State 34 Iowa State 16

2003 PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl Boise State 34 TCU 31

2004 AutoZone Liberty Bowl Louisville 44 Boise State 40

2005 MPC Computers Bowl Boston College 27 Boise State 21

2007 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Boise State 43 Oklahoma 42

2007 Sheraton Hawaii Bowl East Carolina 41 Boise State 38

2008 Poinsettia Bowl TCU 17 Boise State 16

Looks like they lost some games to good teams. For me, don't have any respect for the East Carolina program. Outside of that ... all those teams were good teams, except maybe UTEP and Iowa State.

I don't see any "blowout" losses ... always competitive ... so, do we conclude that because they 4 out of 5 in the last bowls that that's because they don't play anybody? God I hope not. After a month or so off before the bowls I wonder how anybody can even remember how to play ... but that's another soap box.

What I do know is that Boise State has beaten all Big 12 opponets since 2002.

SheepdogMark

In 2004, we played Southern Miss in the first game of the year, at HOME ... and lost 17-21.

In 2007, Boise State played Southern Miss five (5) games into the season AT Southern Miss ... and even after playing #17 Oregon, at Oregon ... won the game 37-32.

Interesting ... and opposite of the argument presented ... again, Boise State doesnt' play anybody. Yet they beat the teams we play ... even after they are wore down (well I guess I can't really say that because if you don't play anybody then you really can't get wore down) and we are fresh ... but we use an argument that states "we play a tough schedule" and they play a "weak schedule".

Interesting,

SheepdogMark

I don't believe my intent was to say that we didn't "play anybody" that year. If so, then let me correct that here and now. Other teams may say that of us ... but this thread has been about TCU and Boise St ...the schedules, the stars and the final rankings. You are always gonna have a couple of tough teams, especially if you get to a good bowl.

We did play an easy schedule ... IMHO. Remembering back, our off-season schedule had what would be called "names" today ... but the programs were "puff". I don't know where you got your "rankings" of playing teams #2, 3 and 4. That year Colorado was good and #9 at the time we played them (I used Huskers.com as my source). I also don't consider a bowl game as an "away" game. I'd call it "nuetral". Outside of OU and CU ... there certainly were more "bottom dwellers" in the "Big 8" than "compitition. I viewed the conference back then as the "Big 2". Of course, NU and OU went into the game 1-2. The last game of the year was against Alabama and they were #2. I don't count that as part of the "easy" schedule as it's the last game ... a bowl game ... it's suppose to be tough. That win proved that team was for real.

Here's the schedule and scores.

Sat, Sep 11 Oregon 2 - Memorial Stadium 34 - 7 (W)

Sat, Sep 18 Minnesota 1 - Memorial Stadium 35 - 7 (W)

Sat, Sep 25 Texas A&M 1 - Memorial Stadium 34 - 7 (W)

Sat, Oct 02 Utah State 1 - Memorial Stadium 42 - 6 (W)

Sat, Oct 09 Missouri 1 - at Columbia, Mo. 36 - 0 (W)

Sat, Oct 16 Kansas 1 - Memorial Stadium 55 - 0 (W)

Fri, Oct 22 Oklahoma State 1 - at Stillwater, Okla. 41 - 13 (W)

Sat, Oct 30 Colorado 1 9 Memorial Stadium 31 - 7 (W)

Sat, Nov 06 Iowa State 1 - Memorial Stadium 37 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 13 Kansas State 1 - at Manhattan, Kan. 44 - 17 (W)

Thu, Nov 25 Oklahoma 1 2 at Norman, Okla. 35 - 31 (W)

Sat, Dec 04 Hawaii 1 - at Honolulu, Hawaii 45 - 3 (W)

SheepdogMark