Burkhead returns to practice

np_husker

when i saw burkhead play, he looked pretty special. if he plays, i do not think it is because everyone is so bad, i think it is because he is so good. i thought he looked better than Helu actually, at least he ran harder and found the holes better.

Looked better than Helu, get real! Optimism is cool, but come on...

i would also say that he looked like he has more raw talent than helu. he is not currently the better player, but he will be the better player soon.

i was not saying he was better than Helu, but he did run hard and found the holes that i think Helu sometimes misses. i have no delusions, Helu is the better back, but Burkhead offers a lot.

i was actually agreeing with ya! all i was saying is that helu is currently better but in the end i think burkhead will be better because of the same reasons you mentioned....

oh i know that you were agreeing with me, i was just restating what you were responding to to clarify to the person who told me to get real. i think you said what i was thinking better than i did and i should have said that when i responded to you.

There is no proof whatsoever that Burkhead finds holes better.

The best part of Helu's game is his VISION, not only his instinct but also his knack to find the right hole or create when one does not exist. His peripheral vision and feel for defenders is exceptional. That's what separates him. You are measuring Burkhead's small sample of carries and making a pretty strong statement that he finds holes Helu doesn't. You are comparing him to the best back in the Big 12!!

Hey we are all Huskers fans, but the adulation of Burkhead has to have a larger sample to grant him the comparative praise you give him... By the way, I love Burkhead as a Husker.

i guess i have an availability heuristic where some of the times Helu misses the hole comes to mind. i think Helu's strengths are his speed and ability to follow blockers. I just remember Burkhead being really good at running up the gut for positive yards, just a real power runner, that was the impression that stuck with me. Helu has more finesse, from what comes to mind.

From Sean Callahan's Facebook page:

Tim Beck said at the Big Red Breakfast there's a "a good chance" running back Rex Burkhead will play on Saturday against KSU.

Also, Bo said this in the LJS yesterday:

“Rex is doing really good. It looks like he’s going to play,” Pelini said.

I gotta tell you - this is making me nervous.

From Sean Callahan's Facebook page:

Tim Beck said at the Big Red Breakfast there's a "a good chance" running back Rex Burkhead will play on Saturday against KSU.

Also, Bo said this in the LJS yesterday:

“Rex is doing really good. It looks like he’s going to play,” Pelini said.

I gotta tell you - this is making me nervous.

C'mon....this is NOT a Spano type situation. There is a huge difference in a broken foot / toe and a torn ACL. Spano was probably ready to return when he did. Burkehead is probably ready to return now...he was probably okay a few weeks back. This team is not going to risk the future of one of its RBs to beat a limping Kansas State....

C'mon....this is NOT a Spano type situation. There is a huge difference in a broken foot / toe and a torn ACL. Spano was probably ready to return when he did. Burkehead is probably ready to return now...he was probably okay a few weeks back. This team is not going to risk the future of one of its RBs to beat a limping Kansas State....

I'm inclined to believe you, except that this is what we heard about Spano as well. And while it's not the same injury, it's a significant injury. Broken bones take time to heal. The question is, is six weeks enough time?

I'm inclined to believe you, except that this is what we heard about Spano as well. And while it's not the same injury, it's a significant injury. Broken bones take time to heal. The question is, is six weeks enough time?

the real question was it a broken bone, I doubt it.

Last I heard, a small hairline fracture.

Big difference

the real question was it a broken bone, I doubt it.

Last I heard, a small hairline fracture.

Big difference

may have been posted, but Beck was quoted as saying that Burkehead will play tomorrow. That the coaches want him getting touches in all of the last four games (that's assuming we beat K State tomorrow).

I for one am extremely excited for him to be back. In knowing Rex, he is one tough SOB and I don't think the coaches would make the mistake of throwin' him back in the there just to do it. He is far to valuable to the future of the team to make that mistake. However, I guarantee you if he is playing than he is 100% ready and in shape to do so. With all of the backs that have been playing and the success of the running game, I don't feel they would rush him back unless he was totally ready. Aside from one stuff on a kickoff return in the VA Tech game, I would say Rex has been pretty electric every time he's touched the ball. Look at his yards per carry. Pretty impressive for a tf. I hope to get passed this weekend and let Suh and the boys put McCoy on his a$$ all day long. GO BIG REX oh um I mean RED!!! :box

Rex may not be quite up to 100% as far as conditioning goes but he's not being asked to carry the ball 25 times either. When they quoted he had some catching up to do it was probably more to do with timing and the difference in play selections. They do that week to week. It's great to have him back. And no.... he has his strong points but he isn't even close to Helu yet. As good as Helu when he was a freshman, yes, but not at this stage.