Things to do in/around San Diego

If you're looking for good bar scene, try Gaslamp or Pacific Beach. PB has a younger demographic to it.

Mission Beach also has plenty of bars with a younger crowd and is just south, bordering on Pacific Beach.

To the south of that, and just north of Pt Loma is Ocean Beach. it also has plenty of bars, restaurants and shops to explore. The Harp, Hodads, Gallaghers, South Beach and the Tilted Stick are just a few examples. The crowd is a little different, more laid back, and hippyish but still fun. Park somewhere near the corner of Sunset Cliffs and Newport and walk west towards the beach. It's always a good time.

Also, a great Italian place in OB, with great meals, garlic cheese bread, sangria and prices is Pepe's. It's right near the corner of Sunset Cliffs and Newport on Sunset Cliffs Blvd.

Weare thinking about going to Tiajauna (sp) the 1st day along with hitting the gaslamp district that night. The next day, we bought tickets to the Holiday Bowl luncheon with the bands/team (hope it is worth the $) and a trip to the beach late afternoon and back to gaslamp.

On gameday we are thinking about taking a dolphin/whale watching tour. We are staying at the Marriot (team hotel, wo we will also "player watch".... I am taking a 12 yr old daughter who loves to player watch).....and there are things called RIB rides put on by former navy seals. It is a 2.5 hour watch...... my wife and daughter love the water and especially dolphins... Any insight on this type of tour before we book.

I would appreciate it. The trip ends at noon and the game is at 5. Hoping, since the hotel is only a few miles away from dolphin tour and 8 miles from stadium, that we can pull tour off and still get to stadium by 2:00 to party with skersfan and KChusker and friends.

Is this possible.....asking those familar with San Diego or experiences like this.

Thanks

DO NOT GO TO TIJUANA! That place is a scum infested hell hole. A lot of America tourists are being assaulted and robbed, some even killed. If you insist on going to Mexico drive straight through TJ and go to Rosarito. Tijuana is not like Cancun or Cabo. I spent a night in jail there once for peeing on a cop car while the cops were still in it (this was definitely whiskey fueled)...my friends and I each paid a bribe of around $300 to get out. Not cool.

Weare thinking about going to Tiajauna (sp) the 1st day along with hitting the gaslamp district that night. The next day, we bought tickets to the Holiday Bowl luncheon with the bands/team (hope it is worth the $) and a trip to the beach late afternoon and back to gaslamp.

On gameday we are thinking about taking a dolphin/whale watching tour. We are staying at the Marriot (team hotel, wo we will also "player watch".... I am taking a 12 yr old daughter who loves to player watch).....and there are things called RIB rides put on by former navy seals. It is a 2.5 hour watch...... my wife and daughter love the water and especially dolphins... Any insight on this type of tour before we book.

I would appreciate it. The trip ends at noon and the game is at 5. Hoping, since the hotel is only a few miles away from dolphin tour and 8 miles from stadium, that we can pull tour off and still get to stadium by 2:00 to party with skersfan and KChusker and friends.

Is this possible.....asking those familar with San Diego or experiences like this.

Thanks

DO NOT GO TO TIJUANA! That place is a scum infested hell hole. A lot of America tourists are being assaulted and robbed, some even killed. If you insist on going to Mexico drive straight through TJ and go to Rosarito. Tijuana is not like Cancun or Cabo. I spent a night in jail there once for peeing on a cop car while the cops were still in it (this was definitely whiskey fueled)...my friends and I each paid a bribe of around $300 to get out. Not cool.

Tijuana is really not that bad!! Just be careful. There's plenty to do down there: gamble, drink, clubs, strippers, shop, eat, whatever; and all at a much cheaper price. However, you just can't be stupid. Don't flash money or get so drunk you can't remember where you are. If you plan on being stupid though, I wouldn't do it in San Diego either. The cops and criminals here are just as bad.

I'm so excited!!! The Holiday bowl fell on the same week as my yearly trip to San Diego so I will definitely be there.

As for things to do...

- San Diego harbor has alot of stuff to do, tour an aircraft carrier, old schooner, cool retaurants (some holes in the wall but still good). Close to downtown too.

- Coronado Island is cool to check out

- Definitely visit La Jolla beach and check it out, best beach in San Diego imo.

- Mission Beach is fun, has fun touristy shopping center and an amusement park. Also some of the fake wave surfing... idk what its really called.

- Of course the Wild Animal Park and Zoo are musts.

- SEA WORLD

Thanks

Well, I guess my experiences were just bad. Like you mentioned, alcohol usually starts a problem. Probably my downfall. :wasted

Tijuana is really not that bad!! Just be careful. There's plenty to do down there: gamble, drink, clubs, strippers, shop, eat, whatever; and all at a much cheaper price. However, you just can't be stupid. Don't flash money or get so drunk you can't remember where you are. If you plan on being stupid though, I wouldn't do it in San Diego either. The cops and criminals here are just as bad.

well, maybe it was just my experiences there. Ha ha. I was usually drunk and surrounded by other Marines. So I could see how that could be a problem.

:wasted

There's a huge pier/wharf shopping/eating area right off of downtown on the water, I don't remember what it's called exactly, but there's some nice upscale restaurants and such there, as well as stuff for little kids to do during the day.

That would be Seaport Village!! And right across the bay is Coronado Island!!

:yeah

Lots to see and do.

GBR!!!

Thanks

Well, I guess my experiences were just bad. Like you mentioned, alcohol usually starts a problem. Probably my downfall. :wasted

well, maybe it was just my experiences there. Ha ha. I was usually drunk and surrounded by other Marines. So I could see how that could be a problem.

I went to MCT (Marine Combat Training) at Pendleton many moons ago. We had a weekend off with clear instructions to not go to Tijuana so of course we went straight there and didn't even look back. I had $800 dollars to my name (early 90's money), took it all with me, and had to have money wired to me to get back! I had an absolute blast. Seriously though, in case it's not obvious, Tijuana is NOT a family friendly place.

Thanks

I went to MCT (Marine Combat Training) at Pendleton many moons ago. We had a weekend off with clear instructions to not go to Tijuana so of course we went straight there and didn't even look back. I had $800 dollars to my name (early 90's money), took it all with me, and had to have money wired to me to get back! I had an absolute blast. Seriously though, in case it's not obvious, Tijuana is NOT a family friendly place.

Thanks

great information, thanks.

Thanks

Great information, thanks.