Things to do in/around San Diego

The Zoo, the Zoo, the Zoo.

T_O_B

:)

:yeah

And Seaworld

Coming from someone who had passes to both the Zoo and Wild Animal Park, I would strongly recommend the Wild Animal Park over the Zoo. If you have kids and rent a car, this is a very unique experience. Instead of having all of the animals in their small, designated pens like all zoos, the Wild Animal Park puts all of the prey together in a HUGE open space that is twice the size of the zoo. You can take an hour-long tour throughout the enclosure and observe the animals interacting the way they do in the wild. I used to do this every week when I was in graduate school in the area. The Wild Animal Park is located in Escondido, which is north county San Diego (about 15-20 minutes north of downtown). The zoo is good, but the Wild Animal Park is an experience you can't get outside of an African safari.

There's a huge pier/wharf shopping/eating area right off of downtown on the water, I don't remember what it's called exactly, but there's some nice upscale restaurants and such there, as well as stuff for little kids to do during the day.

That would be Seaport Village!! And right across the bay is Coronado Island!!

The Zoo, the Zoo, the Zoo.

T_O_B

:)

:yeah

And Seaworld

Coming from someone who had passes to both the Zoo and Wild Animal Park, I would strongly recommend the Wild Animal Park over the Zoo. If you have kids and rent a car, this is a very unique experience. Instead of having all of the animals in their small, designated pens like all zoos, the Wild Animal Park puts all of the prey together in a HUGE open space that is twice the size of the zoo. You can take an hour-long tour throughout the enclosure and observe the animals interacting the way they do in the wild. I used to do this every week when I was in graduate school in the area. The Wild Animal Park is located in Escondido, which is north county San Diego (about 15-20 minutes north of downtown). The zoo is good, but the Wild Animal Park is an experience you can't get outside of an African safari.

Agreed. The Henry Doorly is as good if not better than the zoo in SD.

What about breweries? Any suggestions?

Karl Strauss, Rock Bottom, Stone, Oggi's, Pizza Port, Coronado, Miami Grille, San Diego Brewing Co,Ballast Point and Gordon Biersch are a few of the many breweries in San Diego, most have more than one location.

Karl Strauss in Sorrento Valley and Stone Brewery in Escondido both have well designed, outdoor/indoor restaurant/beer gardens with both excellent beer and food selections.

Rock Bottom has good beer and even better food. Happy Hour is great and well priced.

Oggi's has good pizza and other selections, beer selection is not bad, plus they have tons of TV's and many locations throughout San Diego.

Pizza Port has the best Pizza in San Diego, hands down!! The beer is also great!! The one in Solana Beach has a great location on the 101 and is near a handful of other bars including Tidewater, Surf and Saddle and Chiefs.

Miami Grille has great Cuban food, the Cubano sandwich is awesome. Beer is brewed on site and their Mojito's are pretty damn good.

Gordon Biersch is a toss up. I've never really had a good experience there, but a lot of people love it.

These are just a tiny sample of the many breweries in San Diego and I'm sure if you ask anybody when you arrive they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

While there are plenty of places to grab a steak in San Diego, one of my favorites is a hole in the wall, grill-it-yourself place called the Turf Supper Club.

Great atmosphere, great drinks, great prices, and great food. It's a small, one grill lounge but they have a piano player on some nights and it's always fun if your looking to grab a bite and a few drinks.

Karl Strauss, Rock Bottom, Stone, Oggi's, Pizza Port, Coronado, Miami Grille, San Diego Brewing Co,Ballast Point and Gordon Biersch are a few of the many breweries in San Diego, most have more than one location.

Karl Strauss in Sorrento Valley and Stone Brewery in Escondido both have well designed, outdoor/indoor restaurant/beer gardens with both excellent beer and food selections.

Rock Bottom has good beer and even better food. Happy Hour is great and well priced.

Oggi's has good pizza and other selections, beer selection is not bad, plus they have tons of TV's and many locations throughout San Diego.

Pizza Port has the best Pizza in San Diego, hands down!! The beer is also great!! The one in Solana Beach has a great location on the 101 and is near a handful of other bars including Tidewater, Surf and Saddle and Chiefs.

Miami Grille has great Cuban food, the Cubano sandwich is awesome. Beer is brewed on site and their Mojito's are pretty damn good.

Gordon Biersch is a toss up. I've never really had a good experience there, but a lot of people love it.

These are just a tiny sample of the many breweries in San Diego and I'm sure if you ask anybody when you arrive they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks Socal! I'm going to have to give Karl Strauss a try.

Another excellent drink/food establishment is a dive bar in North Park/ Normal Heights called Rosie O'Grady's. It's a family owned and run place and they are open early for an amazing breakfast (awesome if you are looking to eat and watch the 9 am college football games).

Anyways, breakfast is all-you-can-eat for under $10 and well worth it. Drinks are reasonable and the rest of the menu runs the gammut from Mexican food to burgers. To top it off, the joint is nestled amongst other bars and only a couple of miles from the stadium.

You're welcome. Karl Strauss has like 6 locations in San Diego so you'll be able to find one wherever you're staying.

You're welcome. Karl Strauss has like 6 locations in San Diego so you'll be able to find one wherever you're staying.

SoCalHusker

I am thinking of staying at a few places.

1) La Jolla Hyatt of the 5.

2) Torrey Pines Hilton near the gold course.

3) Estancia near UCSD. We like La Jolla and want to be close to La Jolla for the non-game activities.

We are taking 2 kids, 10 and 12, so do you know anything about my first two choices. I think the first two are about 170.00 per night. Estancia about 200.00 per night. Kids want some jacuzzi opportunities when we are at the hotel.

Schuhbdoo

Weare thinking about going to Tiajauna (sp) the 1st day along with hitting the gaslamp district that night. The next day, we bought tickets to the Holiday Bowl luncheon with the bands/team (hope it is worth the $) and a trip to the beach late afternoon and back to gaslamp.

On gameday we are thinking about taking a dolphin/whale watching tour. We are staying at the Marriot (team hotel, wo we will also "player watch".... I am taking a 12 yr old daughter who loves to player watch).....and there are things called RIB rides put on by former navy seals. It is a 2.5 hour watch...... my wife and daughter love the water and especially dolphins... Any insight on this type of tour before we book.

I would appreciate it. The trip ends at noon and the game is at 5. Hoping, since the hotel is only a few miles away from dolphin tour and 8 miles from stadium, that we can pull tour off and still get to stadium by 2:00 to party with skersfan and KChusker and friends.

Is this possible.....asking those familar with San Diego or experiences like this.

Thanks

SoCalHusker

3) Estancia near UCSD. We like La Jolla and want to be close to La Jolla for the non-game activities.

We are taking 2 kids, 10 and 12, so do you know anything about my first two choices. I think the first two are about 170.00 per night. Estancia about 200.00 per night. Kids want some jacuzzi opportunities when we are at the hotel.

Schuhbdoo

Sorry, SoCalHusker

Do you know anything about my first two hotel choices?

Schuhbdoo

Taco Shops are a must visit when in San Diego. Grab a California burrito, some rolled tacos, a chorizo breakfast, or some menudo and eat till you can't eat anymore. The more hole-in-the-wall, the better. A few of my favorites, and in no particular order, include: Palomino's (any of them), Roberto's (any of them), Albertos (any of them), Juanbertos (any of them), Aibertos (any of them), El Cuervo, Jalapeno's, Sombrero's (any of them), Los Primos (any of them), El Patron and La Cocina. Take your pick and enjoy!!

SoCalHusker

Schuhbdoo

Sorry, SoCalHusker

Do you know anything about my first two hotel choices?

Schuhbdoo

Both are actually in really good locations. The Torrey Pines Hilton is going to be a little further from the game, the actual city of San Diego, and La Jolla itself, but not by much. It sits by itself on the Torrey Pines Resort but it's also closer to many attractions and locations further north (Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas). The Hyatt is right in La Jolla, actually more like UTC, so there is probably more to do in the nearby vicinity. There are literally hundreds of restaurants, stores, or whatever you want right next door.

I haven't stayed at either so I couldn't tell you any details on amentities, as far as swimming pools, spas, whatever, but I'm sure they have everything you'll want or need. Both have similar access to freeways and the PCH, so getting anywhere shouldn't be a problem. Some cool areas for your kids nearby would be the Scripps Aquarium, the La Jolla Cove, Any of the beaches: Torrey Pines, Cardiff, Del Mar, Fletcher Cove (though the water is pretty cold this time of year), Shopping at UTC or downtown La Jolla, Hiking the Torrey Pines State Reserve trail or also Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve has some cool trails that lead to a small waterfall. Anyways, just a few suggestions feel free to ask if you have any questions or PM me if you want too.

The Hotel del Coronado in Coronado is a good place to visit.

Especially right around Christmas. They decorate the hotel very well. A giant Christmas tree, a tiny ice skating rink, plenty of food and drinks, shopping, and tons of places to explore. You can also rent a beach cruiser on the island, which I have yet to do, and explore that way. I heard it's a blast.

coronado, coronado, coronado. find yourself a condo to rent out for the weekend if you can. wake up earlier than you should, have some coffee, smell the ocean breeze, and oh yeah, watch the NAVY SEALS train on the beach directly below you. feel utterly pathetic and proud at the same time. take a stroll down to the hotel del. places like that only existed in movies to me. breathtaking. finish the day at the coronado boathouse. order the teriyaki baseball. f'ing mindblowing.