Direction of our offense

Taylor

All Bo is saying that he and Watson are on the same page, and they are both saying nothing different. Our offensive goal is to be multiple (sorry - diversified), to be physical. Remember our 2005 or 2006 campaign was all about "pounding the rock"? Did that mean we were running power sets all the time and going all old school? Hardly. Albeit they said it pretty deliberately, in a way likely to be acceptable. And that's part of their job as coaches - handling the PR aspect of things. Pretty delicate when you consider how the O faired this year.

Yeah, that being multiplie/diversified thing worked wonders this year. Hopefully it works as good next year as it did this year.............

Yeah, good thing we dumped smashmouth/option so we can be "multiple". It got our offense this year to a 112th national ranking!!

Who needs TO's "run the ball" offense?

wasn't the offense ranked in the top 15 in 08? your argument is invalid.

So you're saying everything is great if we're top 15 offense one year and then 112th offense the next? lol! Gee, maybe we can find a way to have 5th year seniors all over our offense every other year huh? We'll just ignore every other year, right?

There is "no" excuse for NU having that lame of an offense. None.

All Bo is saying that he and Watson are on the same page, and they are both saying nothing different. Our offensive goal is to be multiple (sorry - diversified), to be physical. Remember our 2005 or 2006 campaign was all about "pounding the rock"? Did that mean we were running power sets all the time and going all old school? Hardly. Albeit they said it pretty deliberately, in a way likely to be acceptable. And that's part of their job as coaches - handling the PR aspect of things. Pretty delicate when you consider how the O faired this year.

Yeah, that being multiplie/diversified thing worked wonders this year. Hopefully it works as good next year as it did this year.............

Yeah, good thing we dumped smashmouth/option so we can be "multiple". It got our offense this year to a 112th national ranking!!

Actually his point is rock solid.

Again, the playbook wasn't what made that offense, it was the combination of coaches and play calling from TO. Solich was by his side for over a decade and you saw what happened when he took it over. You think Watson, Gilmore and Cotton can do better after a few film sessions and weekly pointer sessions?

:dunno:facepalm:

Again, the playbook wasn't what made that offense, it was the combination of coaches and play calling from TO. Solich was by his side for over a decade and you saw what happened when he took it over. You think Watson, Gilmore and Cotton can do better after a few film sessions and weekly pointer sessions?

:dunno:facepalm:

They certainly couldn't do any worse.

If there is a slighest chance they would get better, I say sit them down in a classroom and let T.O teach them.

Bo Pelini expressed confidence Saturday in where this Husker offense is headed after this season.

"I have a pretty clear vision of what's going to happen there," Pelini said after Saturday's practice.

Does Pelini feel he's on the same page with offensive coordinator Shawn Watson?

"Oh, yeah. There's no doubt," Pelini said, noting that the vision a coach has when a season starts sometimes has to be tinkered with to match personnel.

"You can't do things overnight and make adjustments overnight," Pelini said. "We've been on the same page. We always will be on the same page because we communicate real well and I have a tremendous amount of confidence in Wats. I like the direction where we're headed. Slowly but surely you start moving in that direction."

Watson said on Wednesday he envisions a future offense "that spreads the field and spreads the offense out ... so that's what we want to be. I think that's what you have to do to win. Because you can run and pass equally as well out of it. That's where we need to go."

"You always got to do what you got to do to win games," Pelini said. "But I see us being a lot more diversified going forward. There's certain things that I know we have to do for the long-term future of our program, and building through those strengths. I know what those are and I know where I want it to head. Is that necessarily the strength of our football team this year? Not necessarily. But there are a lot of issues that come up with in that regard."

As for the run-pass ratio? "I want to be 50-50," Pelini said. "But I know one thing: In this football program, I want to be a physical football team and I want to be able to run the football. Believe me, I understand the need to throw the ball. Everybody needs to have to throw the football. But that's my No. 1 priority going forward is we're going to have a way, we're going to be committed to, and we're going to be able to run the football on people when we want to. And that's the key to a good football team. A good offense, believe me you got to have multiplicity. But when I say 50-50 I mean that when we want to run it we can run it, we can do it effectively. And we can throw it. We have all the tools available to us to throw the football. That's what has to be done. How do that, there's a lot of different ways you can do that. ...

"Are we going to be limited to running the zone read going forward? No. I promise you it ain't going to be limited to that."

Is Alabama's current offense a good model of what Pelini's looking for?

"Yeah. I think that's why they win. You look at Florida when they've won. You look at the teams that have won national championships. They've always had that element to their game. They've been able to run the football. It's pretty hard these days to have a consistent offense when you don't have any running game. You're not going to be a good football team. You're going to struggle against teams that know what they're doing defensively."

“We’ve been on the same page, and we will always will be on the same page because we communicate real well,” Pelini said. “I have a tremendous amount of confidence in (Watson).

“I like the direction of where we’re headed. Slowly but surely, you’ve got to start moving in that direction, and we’re doing it.”

The direction, more and more clearly, appears toward a style of offense similar to what NU operated in 2008 to the tune of 35 points and 450 yards per game.

“We want to be a team that spreads the field, spreads the offense out,” Watson said. “I think that’s what you have to do to win.”

“I see us being a lot more diversified as we go forward,” Pelini said.

Said McNeill: “We’ve got to throw the ball and get back to more of the passing game.”

Watson said the Huskers would not “apologize for what we’ve had to do.”

“It produced five wins at a really critical time,” the third-year coordinator said. “Basically, we had to manage the game to put us in a position to win. We made that real clear. But that’s not me at all. That’s not our staff. That’s not the direction we want to (go).”

According to Pelini, priority No. 1 is a potent running game. Pelini promised that Nebraska would not limit its rushing attack to the finesse-style zone read.

“I want to be 50-50,” he said, “but I know one thing: In this football program, I want to be physical and I want to be able to run the football.

...Hence, being smart, being multiple. Have a little faith in our HC & OC. Those two are extremely intelligent guys who know what they are doing.

:dunno

Maybe so..But I can't help thinking this would all sound better down in Foreman's Basement.

915EUxWLTzA

Some of you can "coach speak" all you want about the young players next year, but what young players have gotten better this year? The only one that comes to mind is Kinnie.

O-line: still making the same mistakes and blowing blocking assignments as they did in the first few games

Wide receivers: still aren't in the right spots when they are supposed to be...oh, and they still can't catch (sort of important for WRs)

QBs: ummm, well, just watch them play (either one of them)

So until I actually see, with my own eyes, improvement next year and the offense being able to move the ball against any team with an actual pulse, I will assume that next year's offense will look alot like this year's offense.

Some of you can "coach speak" all you want about the young players next year, but what young players have gotten better this year? The only one that comes to mind is Kinnie.

O-line: still making the same mistakes and blowing blocking assignments as they did in the first few games

Wide receivers: still aren't in the right spots when they are supposed to be...oh, and they still can't catch (sort of important for WRs)

QBs: ummm, well, just watch them play (either one of them)

So until I actually see, with my own eyes, improvement next year and the offense being able to move the ball against any team with an actual pulse, I will assume that next year's offense will look alot like this year's offense.

With better coaching they would improve. Look what happened to NU on the defensive side of things.

Another thing would be to get the second and third string offense a lot of reps during practice. Today the second stringers are mostly standing around watching the first team. Why not have them run plays along with the first unit? As an example. The first team runs a pass play while the second team runs a running play. Then they switch plays. They did this under Osborne and that worked pretty well. I would love to hear/ read why that same approach wouldn't work today.

So you're saying everything is great if we're top 15 offense one year and then 112th offense the next? lol! Gee, maybe we can find a way to have 5th year seniors all over our offense every other year huh? We'll just ignore every other year, right?

I'm sorry...you basically gave the excuse for NU having that lame of an offense. We didn't have 5th year seniors and all over the place like we did last year. We also didn't have a dolt of a QB, dolts on the O-Line, and WR's didn't drop passes. It was a perfect storm of crappiness.

So you can't say that the offense doesn't work, because it worked last year as well as the year before, quite frankly. It's worked since late 2005 until this year.

Also I'm glad I'm on this side of the argument, because no matter how much you people bitch that we aren't running the offense of the 90's anymore, it's NEVER COMING BACK!!!!!!! If it's watson or somebody else, we are gonna run spread with emphasis on the run. Quite frankly, I can't wait.

It's a hard pill to swallow isn't it?

It is a bit of a hard pill to swallow when the schools that run the option have so much success with it, and even Osborne himself has explained why it worked and why it would still work. And I'm fine with us running a spread...as in the spread option. I care much less about the formation we line up in than I do about what we do once the ball is snapped. Option football gives you additional weapons on O, and forces the D to worry about more.

It is a bit of a hard pill to swallow when the schools that run the option have so much success with it, and even Osborne himself has explained why it worked and why it would still work. And I'm fine with us running a spread...as in the spread option. I care much less about the formation we line up in than I do about what we do once the ball is snapped. Option football gives you additional weapons on O, and forces the D to worry about more.

You mean like Michigan?

I'm sorry...you basically gave the excuse for NU having that lame of an offense. We didn't have 5th year seniors and all over the place like we did last year. We also didn't have a dolt of a QB, dolts on the O-Line, and WR's didn't drop passes. It was a perfect storm of crappiness.

So you can't say that the offense doesn't work, because it worked last year as well as the year before, quite frankly. It's worked since late 2005 until this year.

Also I'm glad I'm on this side of the argument, because no matter how much you people bitch that we aren't running the offense of the 90's anymore, it's NEVER COMING BACK!!!!!!! If it's watson or somebody else, we are gonna run spread with emphasis on the run. Quite frankly, I can't wait.

Ok, reminds us what good defensive team this offense has beaten in the last 5 years? <_<

Ok, reminds us what good defensive team this offense has beaten in the last 5 years? <_<

Indeed, what good defensive teams has our wonderful wco beat the last five years?