Yes, More Thoughts on the Callahan Hiring

Guest Patrick Casser

Guest Patrick Casser

I am the UCLA alum with an affinity for the Nebraska football program that has posted here a lot recently on the coaching change. I went to a Nebraska-Cal game in Berkeley a few years back and I left impressed with the program and all the great fans that trekked out for the game.

After considering all of the knowledgeable information posted here I still think that NU should have retained Frank Solich rather than hiring Bill Callahan. Here is my evidence:

1. First, if someone had walked up to large group of Husker fans in mid-November and said "we have to fire Frank Solich (with his 57-19 career record) because we have a chance to go out and get Bill Callahan." After saying Bill Who, most fans would have laughed.

2. Callahan has shown that as a head coach he is not good at making in-game adjustments. Look at the Super Bowl last season when the Bucs under Gruden knew exactly what plays the Raiders were running before the snap. Safety John Lynch said the audibles were even the same as the Bucs D had prepared for before the game. Callahan should have had his team adjust, knowing that they were running an offense designed by the other team's coach (Gruden).

3. Could have handled a difficult final season on Oakland better.

I appreciate any comments from the knowledgeable fans here. Am I way off base? Or do you agree?

While I think - I hope - that Callahan will be a good hire, I agree. I could not find fault with any of Solich's coaching - I felt that recruiting was the key. Seems to me that the level of talent has declined just enough to cause these problems.

What I would have liked to have seen is the creation of a "recruiting department", so to speak. Something that identifies the absolute essential, top-notch recruits, and that does nothing but set up the recruit for the visits from the coaches and so forth.

While this might have been going on at Nebraska - I don't know - it seems that recruiting was the issue...not the coaching of Xs and Os.

I think most NU fans are of an open frame of mind on him so far. We can't really speculate on BC yet untill next season becuse we are all in very unknown water here. Other then the "Big name" to help with recruiting most will sit on the side and hold thier breath to see what he does once the season starts again.

Saying that I think the majority of NU fans would also tell you they think the Solich thing was handled very, very poorly and most we shocked he was let go after only one season with a new set of AC's and an improved record.

There will be those that tell you that BC is the best thing to happen to NU since Tom Osborne and Tommy Fraizier and others who will hate him simply because they hate the way it was handled but I think most are just biding time to see if he is a saviour or a waste of NU cash for the next 6 years.

Good to hear back from you Patrick. Yep, I think AR & KC pretty much nailed it. I'll add a couple more thoughts to answer your questions directly.

1) The same fans that wanted Solich gone in Nov are also pleased with Callahan. I was not one of them. But that doesnt mean Im not content for the time being with the hire. Or at least Im looking at it optimistically. I know this horse has been in the dirt for quite a while now, but I agree I still dont think Solich should have been canned. I think Solich was turning things around, but that was moot to Steve. Personally I think SP was glad to see the games like KState, MU & TX, b/c he admitted that he had been planning the move even before the season. Those losses validated his actions, and I truly believe that in Steves heart of hearts he also believes that Solich was making progress. And if I or Steve was forced to make a bet as to who wouldve contended for a natty championship first, Solich if he kept his gig or Callahan, I know at least I would pick Solich.

This program just took a 30 min break in middle of the NYC marathon, and we were already behind than the Nigerians before the break. The optimist in me thinks we'll compete for the big 12 champ in 2-3 yrs, but realistically id say its closer to 5-6, hence the 6 yr contract. Think Steve might have a little foresight himself? I should hope so.

Now thats not to say I dont think this is the best move for the long term sake of the program, b/c I recognize that sometimes you have to go backwards to make progress. My faith is with the program, not the suits, so until we become the Miami of the midwest, I'll wear my Husker gear proudly.

2) Not too worried about Callahans NFL deficiencies. The League is a different animal with layers of intricacies college will hopefully never know. He seemed to adjust pretty well in the regular season, am I wrong? The superbowl was of course also unlike any he'll face at NU, as I dont know he'll be paired against the guy who wrote his playbook. But I do agree it was a pathetic display of foolishness to not better prepare for a witch like Gruden.

3) I agree. But again as has been mentioned you just dont know what he was put through, with all those egos and 0's in the same room. After all where else do you have a work group that all get payed more than their boss? But yes, there was no excuse for losing grip like he did. Lets hope he's not a slow learner.

Well those are my drawn out thoughts. You should consider getting an account PC. It makes it quite a bit easier to post, as it sends you a message when someone has responded to your post. And it keeps all your posts organized for you in 'my assistant' so you can find stuff real easy. And you can vote and start polls, etc. etc. And no you definitely wont be spammed. I think we have sent a total of 1 email to our members in the past 6 months. No big deal tho.

take it ez.

BRM

• 2 years later...

I think we have at least 3 more years to look at this change. We have a senior QB with no back up at this time. We do not have an established QB for next year at this time. Unfair to put all the preasure of one season on the staff.

Frank was not doing the job he was told to do. Make recruiting the number one priority. He disregarded his bosses orders. That is what got him fired. Another 3 years of the level of recruiting we were getting and this program would have been dead.

Some on here feel the recruiting problem has been corrected. Not even close at this time. The steps are being taken, but the competition is a good 3 years ahead of us in stock piling great talent. We have one very good year of recruting compared to the top programs five years. We are not there and will not be what BC wants for at least another two with excellent classes. If we win like most expect us to this year we will see a rise in recruiting. But we are one major injury away from being a run of the mill team in the North, not even concerning ourselves with the National picture.

This was the only answer for this program. When people get fired it is never the right way to do it. Insubordination is reason for firing and it was done, get over it. We are far better off now than we were 3 years ago. There is a future at this point, there was none before.

Moving into the new era of college football had to happen. Period.

Thank God Pederson saw the light that I and a lot of others did not. I still do not like the man, but he has only the best interest of this program at heart. We needed that!!!

Skersfan, I think you are right on. After 2-3 more years, Callahan's whole plan should take shape. Right now is still a transition and we are still a little behind as far as having 5 good recruiting classes. This year is going to be a good one, but the fruits of Callahan's recruiting classes should really start to show next year and in 08. I like what Pillen had to say about Trev, 100% how people here feel. Ok is not "good enough".

things have turned the corner but have not reached where NU needs or wants to be yet. this year's goal should be to improve upon last years weaknesses and maintain the strengths.

NU should have a better record and play in a bigger bowl, but everything can change with a key injury.

Lets hope that Zac stays healthy, and NU builds leads that can get Harrison some quality PT. I am not as worried about the QB situation as some of the others here, because I remember when Tommy went out with blood clots, then Brook coundn't play because of the collapsed lung, and a walk-on named Matt came in and played very well considering.

I have no doubt that Beck or Ganz will be able to step up and lead this team, because we have the defense that will keep the games close and overcome some of the mistakes that a young QB might make.

back on topic-----Callahan was the right hire and he will :restore2