The Fightin' Frankies are trying to make history today

Nexus

Wrong, the end of Nebraska's tradition came in the 99 and 2000 recruting classes, wasting numerous scholarships on walkon caliber cuz Frank couldnt "close the deal" by 2002 and 03 and even into 04 (say what you want about Callahan, i hate him too, but there was also a huge talent deficiency) the chickens had come home to roost. Colorado just happened to be the one to expose, then Miami, Penn St. and Iowa St. just drove it into the ground.

Frank knows football. No one can argue that. But he is just not the guy that can walk into a room and bring a talented kid into this state. Recruiting to Nebraska is a big challenge of the job, and I believe Bo has what it takes.

Okay, okay, I see what you're saying - it's really a Pelini/Solich issue, in that Nebraska is actually in better hands with Pelini than it was with Solich since 62-36.

I would agree with that, except we HAD Pelini in '03. Do you think that the offense today has a brighter future now than it did then? We don't even know what kind of offense we'll run for the next game, much less next season. The coaches don't even seem to agree on it.

My issue is that I'm always looking back through the Callahan era, and anything looks better than '04-'07 to me.

The future of the offense back then was bleaker: Barney Cotton had Austin Flynn, Todd Blythe, Stevie Hicks and Brett Meyer between 2004-2006, and ISU got progressively worse anyway, and the most successful head coach in their history got fired because of it (at least in part). At least when given 3-4 year starters, Watson was OK in '08. If Bo makes Barney OC, I will kill myself.

Firing Solich was the correct decision. It just should have been done in 2002, not 2003.

Solich is 32-31 at Ohio. 0-2 in MAC title games. 0-2 in toilet bowls. Nothing to brag about.

I'm glad they waited until '03 to fire him. Otherwise we probably wouldn't have Bo Pelini as our HC today. He wouldn't have been on our radar 2 yrs. ago. The job probably would've went to Gill instead. Nothing against Gill though, but I'm starting to really appreciate what a great Defense does for a team in the long run. So long as we can install a serviceable offense in the future, then the D will keep us in the game. I'm cool with that.

Firing Solich was the correct decision. It just should have been done in 2002, not 2003.

Solich is 32-31 at Ohio. 0-2 in MAC title games. 0-2 in toilet bowls. Nothing to brag about.

The fact that it's been 38 years since the last time they were in a bowl game and he's taken them to the title game twice means nothing? <_<

The fact that it's been 38 years since the last time they were in a bowl game and he's taken them to the title game twice means nothing? <_<

Not to mention he inherited a program with very little talent.

He's done an nothing short of an outstanding job in Athens.