The "wildcat" look

Doesn't Watson call it the Joker formation? One of the ESPN guys the other night was whining about how every team has a different name for their Wildcat formation. After the game I think the Zona Wildcats probably were calling it the "Cornholer" as hack said. NO LUBE!!

Its actually a Double Wing formation. We run it in our youth football league here in Texas. One of the reasons it works so well at the College and NFL level is because it pits 11 offensive players vs 11 Defensive players. At the High School level and up, they start to not count the QB as a viable threat to run the football. Many people have long considered an NFL offense 10 players with a QB vs 11 defensive players. The "wildcat" changes that by making the QB a viable running threat. Couple that with the misdirection that comes in with the motion back and the quickness of the direct snap to the running back, defenses say the play almost happens to fast for them to read and react to it.

The NFL defenses are having to change their formations to account for this by bringing the safety up to the LOS, which accounts for the extra man on offense.

Personally, Im waiting to see a team pass out of it, once they see the safety is brought up to the LOS. But even in the NFL, I dont believe Ive seen that happen yet...

Anyway, it was a blast to watch them run the same offense we youth football coaches run :)

LanceM

It was really refreshing to see some innovation on offense in the game. Also, seeing that innovation on the running game brought a real smile to my face (well, that and the total domination of a decent opponent on a national stage!) In any case, Burkhead looked amazing all night, especially out of the Wildcat, and Lee even looked like a QB with legs at various times. The extra time for preparation seems to have been a real God-send...

I commented on here, only halfway joking after the Iowa State game, that the Huskers started losing when Burkhead got hurt.

Burkhead is the perfect back for that. Lee was killing them with the zone read runs too.

We looked very good and the new wrinkles looked like just what the DR ordered.

The second biggest surprise I got out of last nights game, the biggest being the blowout, was learning Jenna Lee on Fox News is Zac's sister.

I don't care what they call it. Just run the darn thing! I couldn't believe my eyes. Our offense was actually getting CHUNKS of yards! Burkhead......wow...I love that freshman. BTW, where the heck did Lee get his legs (and balls) this week??

It was really refreshing to see some innovation on offense in the game. Also, seeing that innovation on the running game brought a real smile to my face (well, that and the total domination of a decent opponent on a national stage!) In any case, Burkhead looked amazing all night, especially out of the Wildcat, and Lee even looked like a QB with legs at various times. The extra time for preparation seems to have been a real God-send...

^^^ I'm with you on that. I thought it was awesome that Watson had Burkhead on the field in basically every play, even during the few snaps that Helu played. We had Rex playing as a slot receiver at times, and he looked really comfortable doing that too. I was just really happy to see that Watson realized that Burkhead is a weapon and needs to be used like one.

The second biggest surprise I got out of last nights game, the biggest being the blowout, was learning Jenna Lee on Fox News is Zac's sister.

I don't care what they call it. Just run the darn thing! I couldn't believe my eyes. Our offense was actually getting CHUNKS of yards! Burkhead......wow...I love that freshman. BTW, where the heck did Lee get his legs (and balls) this week??

They showed her in the stands earlier this season. So when she can make it with her parents, she goes to the games. Parents must be proud. Their kids are doing great. I have been critical of Zac on these boards but last night he played very well.