Hockey

WVhuskerXX

Second generation hockey player here. My dad played for UNL and then in Omaha's senior league til about 10 years ago.

I started following Lancers way back in the 80's when my dad would take me to games. I would also always have a pair of skates for the Lake in my neighborhood. Started playing/being interested in a specific team in 91. I needed a pro team to root for and ended up choosing the Sharks. Since they had just formed and I am phobic of sharks, I decided, eh why not? Many days were wasted on the sharks dynasty in the NHL 92/93 video game. I ended up playing goalie my whole career up through college freshman year (yes UNL has a team!), until I broke my leg skiing. Haven't played since. Still miss it and have my pads in the basement.

Been some good years and some bad ones as a sharks fan. My worst memory is the 94 playoffs - the first time they made the playoffs. They had just upset the heavily favored Red Wings. They were tied in game 6 with Toronto with a few minutes to play, and one of their best players, Pat Falloon, gets a 2 man break away. The goalie bites on a deke, and WHAM! CROSSBAR! :bang I think I cried that night. They went on to lose the game and then the series in game 7.

Favorite player all time is Arturs Irbe - the guy was a beast for the Sharks in that first playoff run. Ron Hextall is my second favorite - I mean come on, a goalie who scores goals and gets in fights!

Can we agree to hate the Red Wings and Avalanche? :dunno I have nothing against Pittsburgh, I went to one of their games when I was younger.

With a passion for as long as I shall live