Do we really need another young QB?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100104/BIGRED/701049884

I would think at this point we could use that spot to fill a different position.

I would like to see us build more experience at QB this year. I really got the feeling this year of the blind leading the blind at QB. Of course having Ganz running around will help for sure.

it's always in our best interests to have someone ready to step up in 2013 or 2014....If coaches only looked to the next season they wouldn't keep their jobs too long.

I don't remember Joe Ganz getting a lot of stars as he was recruited either. What if they had passed on him? Sometimes it's not the hype. I wonder what Joe would have accomplished if Keller wouldn't have shown up. I remember Callahan throwing scholarships around like candy to any qb interested. I doubt we'll see that with Bo. It'll be a good choice or will go to a spot that we need.

I would think at this point we could use that spot to fill a different position.

I would like to see us build more experience at QB this year. I really got the feeling this year of the blind leading the blind at QB. Of course having Ganz running around will help for sure.

Honestly, I would like to see us sign 2 QB's each season. If we ever want to be an elite team, we need ELITE play at the QB position. I think its safe to say we did not receive that level of play this season.

I also believe teams don't need 5-Star QB's to receive Elite production from that position. That's pretty well documented.

The gravitation towards more athletic QB's gives us some flexibility as well. Barry Switzer used to recruit 5 QBs per season with the sole intention of moving a couple of guys to other positions.

I find it hard to believe that with 6 or maybe 7 QB's on the roster, we can't find a true winner, leader, and playmaker.

We don't NEED another young QB, it would just be nice to have one so its not a big issue next year.

Because if you look at it next year, how important it would be to recruit a young QB or two next year if we dont get one this year.

We lose Lee and Washington. We have Cody Green, Kody Spano, Taylor Martinez, Ron Kellog Jr., and that Joe Broekemeier. Broekemeier plays baseball, Spano is injury prone, Kellog hasn't proven much yet. That leaves Green and Martinez at the plate after next season ends. So it doesn't look bad for 2010, but if we don't get a good QB in the recruting class by the end of 2010, we might have some difficulties at the QB spot.

We don't NEED another young QB, it would just be nice to have one so its not a big issue next year.

Because if you look at it next year, how important it would be to recruit a young QB or two next year if we dont get one this year.

We lose Lee and Washington. We have Cody Green, Kody Spano, Taylor Martinez, Ron Kellog Jr., and that Joe Broekemeier. Broekemeier plays baseball, Spano is injury prone, Kellog hasn't proven much yet. That leaves Green and Martinez at the plate after next season ends. So it doesn't look bad for 2010, but if we don't get a good QB in the recruting class by the end of 2010, we might have some difficulties at the QB spot.

Actually, 2011 could be VERY bad for us if we don't get a QB in this class.

I'm not holding my breath for any of the walk-ons (sorry - if they do come through it would be an extreme surprise/bonus). Martinez, let's just suppose he stays at QB. That's Martinez, Green, Spano. And a freshman or two (2011 class). So unless we pluck a dependable starter out of Green, Spano, and maybe Martinez, we're looking at maybe thrusting another freshman project into the spotlight.

I wonder if we will be looking into the JUCO route again.

predictionking, recruiting dual threats gives us flexibility but only if we recruit a lot of them as you say. Right now we don't have a lot of guys. And it just hamstrings us because we end up with a couple of projects and nothing else.

Honestly, I would like to see us sign 2 QB's each season. If we ever want to be an elite team, we need ELITE play at the QB position. I think its safe to say we did not receive that level of play this season.

I also believe teams don't need 5-Star QB's to receive Elite production from that position. That's pretty well documented.

The gravitation towards more athletic QB's gives us some flexibility as well. Barry Switzer used to recruit 5 QBs per season with the sole intention of moving a couple of guys to other positions.

I find it hard to believe that with 6 or maybe 7 QB's on the roster, we can't find a true winner, leader, and playmaker.

2 QB recruits per year means we'll have 8 quarterbacks on the team. What do we do with those other 7 QB's who aren't starting? There would be some pretty PO'ed players, and I think it would be hard to draw recruits knowing they have to compete with 7 other people for the starting role.

Hate to say this, but if Lee (with his arm injury) was the best that we could put on the field, there is something wrong at the QB position. Maybe we need to be looking for some more talent there. Either that, or we need to make the decision that we are going to put Green out there and let him take some lumps to learn.

If Lee is the starter next season, and Green sees little or no action, we are going into 2011 with basically a QB with no experience. I personally am hoping that Green will come in and beat out Lee for starting QB, just so that we do have experience moving on past next season.

And in reality, you get past Green, we don't know what we have really...so it may not be a bad idea to get some more QB's into the fold and open up the competition for backup positions. Honestly, I don't see Martinez ever starting a game...he is merely a emergency backup in my mind. Spano is totally unproven. All the other QB's on the roster are merely taking up spots IMHO and playing solely practice squad fodder. We need maybe a couple serious contenders to come in over the next couple years that can challenge the real contenders for a starting position. We need freshmen QB's coming in every year that can seriously compete for a position. Honestly, I think we have a lot of dead wood on the bench when it comes to QB.

Actually, 2011 could be VERY bad for us if we don't get a QB in this class.

I wonder if we will be looking into the JUCO route again.

I don't think 2011 will be that bad, i think Green will step up and be that leader we want him to be, I do agree with you on Martinez, i don't see him going WR, unless something unexpected happens, maybe switching to S or CB down the line, but i hope he stays QB. Spano would be a good backup, but god help us if he starts.

Kinda like with the Steelers, when Big Ben takes the field its cool, but when old Batch came on, it was cover your eyes and start running out of the stadium. Spano is like Batch.

If we don't have a good young 3rd string QB by 2011, who is going to replace Green when he leaves? Its too later to redshirt Green and keep him here for 5 years, least an injury occurs. I hope not.

As for the JUCO route, i hope not, last time we did that, we got Zac Lee.....wait i shouldn't have said that.