RB/DB Major Culbert

By getting this guy, does this push Danzell Issac out the door?

I believe the coaches backed off of Issac a while ago because of his grades.

I read an article a couple weeks back that said that he wanted to think it over christmas break and would make a decision after he took his visit to Michigan St. He took his visit last weekend or the weekend before, but still haven't heard anything.

With the commitment of Major Culbert, that gives Nebraska as of now 24 scholarships recruits (Spain will be getting a scholarship). Nebraska will also be giving a scholarship to Jacob Hickan from last year, putting Nebraska at the NCAA max 25. However, since Jacob Hickman is from last years recruiting class, he will take over Dyches scholarship, putting NU back at 24.

Nebraska only had 22 available scholarships to hand out, so they are already over the limit. Most likely, Ben Martin will become a possible greyshirt candidate, Matt Slauson also will likely take over Corneilus Thomas's scholarship slot (i don't see the coaches pursuing a medical redshirt for him honestly).

Nebraska currently has 68 players on scholarship, and only 17 actual scholarships to hand out for this recruiting class.

Some Non-qualifiers in the eyes of the coaches?

Where does that leave Deas and Lee who are visiting this weekend?

Just some thing to think about since NU is tapped out on scholarships as of right now

By getting this guy, does this push Danzell Issac out the door?

I believe the coaches backed off of Issac a while ago because of his grades.

I read an article a couple weeks back that said that he wanted to think it over christmas break and would make a decision after he took his visit to Michigan St. He took his visit last weekend or the weekend before, but still haven't heard anything.

Sounds like he has waited too long now.

hello, so when the coaches were in ca during the last couple of days did they stop & speak to culbert, (& mouton & thenarse) & if they did was it then that he committed?

p.s. why does rivals have him as a soft verbal - & everyone else who has posted no matter the site has him as solid, & what is w/ his 40 x of 4.79?

The official was already scheduled before he committed to Nebraska. Plus, he was going down there with his family to visit his aunt and cousins, and Chuck Long took advantage of that and asked him to visit, and Culbert told him he would swing by and check it out. It's free food and a chance to stay at a nice hotel during his visit to San Diego, so it's no big deal. It just goes to show you that even though he committed to NU, he is a man of his word and didn't just cancell his visit.

Issac never waited too long. He never had the grades and will not have the grades for NU.

I really feel sorry for him. You go to JUCO because you have academic issues, but yet you don't buckle down and cost yourself a chance to play at a D1 school, again? Just boggles my mind.

My bad.

I agree with you. He sounds like a great athlete. Pretty wasteful.

Please don't start with the 4.79 forty time. If you've been on RSS, that story has been beaten to death.

Palo Alto times for that event were extremely slow for everyone. He was at a camp the very next week and ran a 4.5 forty.

Heck, Daniel Bullocks only ran a 4.75 just before his sophmore year. I would guess we would all like to have another Daniel Bullocks for a safety. :)

Couldn't get the link to work, so i just searched for it in todays news:

161_DailyBreeze.com.jpg

Narbonne star's pick is a real scream in Nebraska

Major Culbert will continue his football career with the Cornhuskers, probably as a defensive back.

By Bob Holtzman

Daily Breeze

Major Culbert made a phone call Thursday morning that elicited a somewhat bizarre but obviously positive reaction.

The Narbonne High senior told Nebraska assistant football coach Bill Busch that he planned to accept a scholarship offer to play football for the Cornhuskers

He went outside to scream," Culbert said of Busch's reaction.

Culbert, the 2005 Daily Breeze Player of the Year, visited Nebraska in September and then enjoyed a tremendous senior season for the Gauchos, rushing for 1,914 yards and 13 touchdowns on 244 carries. He had 62 tackles and six sacks on defense.

College decisions are not final until student-athletes sign a national letter of intent. The official college football signing period does not begin until Feb. 1.

The 6-foot, 195-pound running back and defensive back made the decision between visits to other programs. He visited Oregon last weekend, but Narbonne coach Manuel Douglas said the Ducks didn't extend an official offer while Culbert was on the trip.

Culbert was supposed to visit Washington this weekend, but passed on the opportunity when he learned that Coach Ty Willingham would be in Hawaii, coaching the Hula Bowl, a college senior all-star game. Instead, Culbert said he would visit San Diego State. Culbert could change his mind but insisted it would be his final decision.

"It's nothing big, I'm just visiting. I already scheduled it," said Culbert, who graded his commitment to Nebraska as "100 percent. I would never commit if I would not live up to it. I feel like that's a waste of my time and the coach's time."

Douglas said that Culbert realized that Nebraska's devotion to him throughout the recruiting process was too good to pass up.

"They were the first school to offer him and they offered him before the season started," Douglas said. "Their coach told me their attitude is that when you know who you want to take to the dance, you don't wait until the last minute to ask."

Culbert said he wants to major in theater and that if he can't play football professionally, he would like to become an actor or a model. He also said that Nebraska coaches like him as a defensive back but would give him an opportunity to play running back. Greg Biggins, a recruiting analyst for Student Sports, said that Culbert is probably one of the top 10 safety prospects on the West Coast.

"He's a heck of a safety, a physical kid who likes contact," Biggins said. "He's not a softy. He's a smash-mouth guy who should fit in well in the Big 12."

link