Husker article

So have any of you readers been on a "real" roller coaster. I don't mean one of those kiddy ones that you rode when you were the age of ten at your local county fair. A real coaster is one that is built for insane speed, intense drops, and ulitmate loops. Well you can say you rode on one now: The Bo Pelini Express v2009. This season was quite a roller coaster, probably the most stressful I have ever been on since the Millenimum 2000 at Cedar Point. The season started out with two easy victories against Sun Belt opponents. One with a coach with a championship ring, the other with a coach who didn't know what a championship was. This team was flying high. People thought we had a defense AND an offense at the time. Then this team was flown to Blacksburg hoping to get a signature win over a tocuh Hokie squad who by the way held with one Alabama. The game felt like Nebraska's for the taking. Field goal after field goal after field goal made this game look like winnable but not quite a victory when Virgina Tech got the ball back with two minutes left and a five point deficit. I was in the endzone where the Hokies scored their final touchdown. As I saw the ball fly into the sunny Virginia sky, I saw a maroon figure running down the sideline uncovered. As the ball slipped into this player's hand, I thought that this could not be true. Well we all know the rest of the story, and although I meant it (at the time) I uttered two famous words hoping (at the time) Matt O Hanlon would hear them. "Choke job."

But we all eventually got over this loss, and it made this team better. Then Memorial stadium decided to throw a party of September 26, 2009. Former players and coaches could be seen left and right. Even a few appearance on the big board by Turner Gill and Frank Solich. Two husker coaches who helped Nebraska become a prestigious program. Nebraska cruised on in thie 55-0 drubbing of Louisiana-Lafayette. After this game the state still felt that the Virginia Tech loss could be forgetten for good after a good win over the Tigers of Missouri. For three quarters we couldn't have felt any worse.

Nebraska came into Columbia with a 3-1 record and top 25 ranking on the line against the Blaine "My Family Switches Their Mind Like Brett Farve" Gabbert. For the first three quarters this game looked like one of the ugliest losses in Nebraska history. But then, "Lee on 3rd and 8...steps up...takes a shot down the middle of the field...and has a man wide open...Niles Paul...Touchdown!" (courtesy of Chris Fowler). Then after two interceptions by Suh and Gomes there was 27-12 final scored, and Nebraska had reeled off 27 consecutive points in the fourth quarter to defeat the Missouri Tigers. The Huskers flew high...for about...9 days.

The following week this team was crushed by Texas Tech and the quarterback murmurring started and who would start the next week against Iowa State. Well people were more worried about the starting quarterback then their actual opponent that week. The media said it was a trap game but who actually believed we would lose to Iowa State. As I watched Zac Lee throw an interception for the 8th turnover of the day. I couldn't help but look to the sky and wonder if this actually happened. My father and I walked out of the stadium and I was silent. I wasn't mad, sad, or anything that rhymes with pad. I was stunned.

We needed a change at quarterback, so we thought.

The whole next week, I just wanted to make a bowl game...6 wins I said...6 wins. Get Baylor and then get Colorado and we'll be bowling. That is probably what most of Husker nation thought. Well we got our man Cody Green to start the Baylor game. After a 20-10 win, I wondered is our offense really this bad. Well then came the big bad Sooners of Oklahoma into Lincoln. The crowd was ecentric. The In the Deed the Glory game got us pumped up quick. Oour defense absolutely dominated them. I felt like how I felt two weeks before...stunned. When the last pass of the night came out of the sky and dropped into Matt O'Hanlon's arms for this 3rd interception, all I could think was "Sooner Magic...Phh". Then we reeled off 3 more wins in a row...a comeback against Kansas, a north division clinch against Kansas State, and a tune up game against our "rival" Colorado, we were up against a task like no other. The number three Texas Longhorns.

As I made my way into Cowboy Stadium...I kept thinking to myself that something special is going to happen tonight. We shut down their offense for the entire game and when alex Henery made his last of four field goals I couldn't help but want to cry. I'll always remember before Adi kicked off, I took my shoe off as some fans do, and one Texas fan said a few rows above me..."Put your shoes back on!" Well I don't know is that was just irony but we all know how the rest of the game turned out. I would love to into detail about my celebration of the win, my family's tears, and then the loss, but we have all heard way too much about that. So then came the Arizona Wildcats.

These Wildcats weren't quite as big of tools as the other Power Cats we all know and love. We dominated them in both ways. Are you ready for the Cornhusker Express v 2010?

I am 16 and hoping to be a sportwriter when I am older.