Virginia Tech Offense

I know this is off topic, but will someone please explain to me what the Mythical National Championship is? They mentioned it during the AAA game yesterday too. I hope I am not making myself look too stupid. But yeah I would take VTECH's offense along with a solid defense. Haven't they won 10 games every year in a row for forever?

I'm pretty sure they where talking about the mythical recruiting title yesterday during the AAA game. But the Mythical national championship or MNC usually refers to the old AP and now current BSC selected national champions, who's title game appearances where not decided by a tournament. Therefore making the winner of these games a "mythical" national champion. Or as Clubber Lang would say, "They's paper champions!"

Actually I’ll take whatever Offense scores touchdowns and eats up the clock to keep the opposing team’s offense on their sideline. Whether that be passing or running it’s all the same. If we keep the pressure on their defense most of the game it eliminates the opposing team’s threat to score outside of a rare pick 6 or a fumble recovery. With a fully rested defense the opposing offense is less likely to burn your defense for a big one. So as stated above whatever offense scores touchdowns and eats the clock is the best.

Actually I’ll take whatever Offense scores touchdowns and eats up the clock to keep the opposing team’s offense on their sideline. Whether that be passing or running it’s all the same. If we keep the pressure on their defense most of the game it eliminates the opposing team’s threat to score outside of a rare pick 6 or a fumble recovery. With a fully rested defense the opposing offense is less likely to burn your defense for a big one. So as stated above whatever offense scores touchdowns and eats the clock is the best.

Running O tends to eat more clock..due to the game clock stopping after each incompletion.

Makes me wonder if that's why Bo stated our Defense will be better next year..Maybe he's expecting more help from the Offense in keeping the opposition on the sideline. :dunno

Running O tends to eat more clock..due to the game clock stopping after each incompletion.

Makes me wonder if that's why Bo stated our Defense will be better next year..Maybe he's expecting more help from the Offense in keeping the opposition on the sideline. :dunno

Well in 2008 the Huskers ranked 2nd in the nation in Time Of Possession with 34:01. Yet we were also a 38% rush - 62% pass unit. I guess this is what Watson means when he says he wants a "ball control spread offense."

Well in 2008 the Huskers ranked 2nd in the nation in Time Of Possession with 34:01. Yet we were also a 38% rush - 62% pass unit. I guess this is what Watson means when he says he wants a "ball control spread offense."

Yeah.

We did seem to buck the trend on that one.

I blame the short passes that were caught for little or no gain..and not taken out of bounds. :dunno

Yeah.

We did seem to buck the trend on that one.

I blame the short passes that were caught for little or no gain..and not taken out of bounds. :dunno

Furthermore our 2008 offense ranked nationally at 107th in Turnover Margin with -.85 in comparison to 2009 where our Turnover Margin was .33 for a national rank of 33rd even with the horrendous Iowa St. performance figured into that ranking. Granted this years offense was more conservative for the obvious reasons.

Yeah, I'd hate for that kind of production. :sarcasm

1988 1/2 vs. Miami (Florida) (11-1) L 3 23 @ Miami, FL Orange Bowl

1989 1/1 vs. Florida State (10-2) L 17 41 @ Tempe, AZ Fiesta Bowl

1990 1/1 vs. Georgia Tech (11-0-1) L 21 45 @ Orlando, FL Citrus Bowl

1991 1/1 vs. Miami (Florida) (12-0) L 0 22 @ Miami, FL Orange Bowl

1992 1/1 vs. Florida State (11-1) L 14 27 @ Miami, FL Orange Bowl

Yeah that was great :sarcasm

Didn't 4 of those teams win the MNC? Serious question.

I think 3. FSU didn't win until the 93 season.

Those teams were really frustrating because we passed so poorly and FSU and Miami stacked the line and had the speed to cover our receivers 1:1. We just had no chance whatsoever in those games. I would not start that stretch at 1980, because Gill was an outstanding passer. There wasn't a better one after him in Osborne's tenure. Frazier and Frost were serviceable passers, but mostly our O-Line was so incredible that even being nearly one-dimensional we couldn't be stopped. If you want to take the air out of the ball and pound the rock, you'd better get that level of line back, plus the same quality of coaching.

Watson was using short passes as an extension of the running game. Quick outs, screens, and shuttle passes are all passes, but really function more like running plays. Old WCO principles.

I think too much emphasis is being put on simply not being able to pass during that stretch at to why those games were lost. We didnt become an amazingly better passing team in the 90's to finally win those games...we became faster overall, mainly on Defense ourselves.

I mean, we couldnt pass (or run) this year, and our stiffest competition wasnt scoring 24-45 points on us.

Yeah, I'd hate for that kind of production. :sarcasm

1988 1/2 vs. Miami (Florida) (11-1) L 3 23 @ Miami, FL Orange Bowl

1989 1/1 vs. Florida State (10-2) L 17 41 @ Tempe, AZ Fiesta Bowl

1990 1/1 vs. Georgia Tech (11-0-1) L 21 45 @ Orlando, FL Citrus Bowl

1991 1/1 vs. Miami (Florida) (12-0) L 0 22 @ Miami, FL Orange Bowl

1992 1/1 vs. Florida State (11-1) L 14 27 @ Miami, FL Orange Bowl

Yeah that was great :sarcasm

Didn't 4 of those teams win the MNC? Serious question.

I think 3. FSU didn't win until the 93 season.

Those teams were really frustrating because we passed so poorly and FSU and Miami stacked the line and had the speed to cover our receivers 1:1. We just had no chance whatsoever in those games. I would not start that stretch at 1980, because Gill was an outstanding passer. There wasn't a better one after him in Osborne's tenure. Frazier and Frost were serviceable passers, but mostly our O-Line was so incredible that even being nearly one-dimensional we couldn't be stopped. If you want to take the air out of the ball and pound the rock, you'd better get that level of line back, plus the same quality of coaching.

It was 4. GT and Colorado in 1990 and Miami and Washington in 1991

The second part was what I originally posted about - what we needed to do to get to the next level. We were great, just not the best.

Run the ball and play great defense....

AND have the option to pass the ball effectively when 9 in the box, 3rd and long or, heaven forbid, when we're behind in the fourth quarter. This was from 1980 to 1992 the biggest issue with TO's offense.

Good point!!

That's why we dumped the power/option offense for the dazzling WCO!! In four years, Callahan was an awesome 0 - 19 when behind at halftime. Even better, just this year SW had our offense steamrolling people to rank 102nd in the nation!

Thank God we dumped smashmouth!!

Run the ball and play great defense....

AND have the option to pass the ball effectively when 9 in the box, 3rd and long or, heaven forbid, when we're behind in the fourth quarter. This was from 1980 to 1992 the biggest issue with TO's offense.

Good point!!

That's why we dumped the power/option offense for the dazzling WCO!! In four years, Callahan was an awesome 0 - 19 when behind at halftime. Even better, just this year SW had our offense steamrolling people to rank 102nd in the nation!

Thank God we dumped smashmouth!!

I am not in favor of dumping smashmouth offense. I am in favor of not having a one-dimensional offense.