Cable/Internet Provider

I'm thinking of finally getting off my ass and buying an LCD TV and actually paying for the Internet instead "borrowing" my neighbors. I don't need any phone service, just looking to get the fastest Internet and best HD picture for my buck.

As far as I know, the service providers in my area are Comcast, AT&T, Verizon (not 100% sure), SureWest and any dish provider. I was leaning towards SureWest, but don't know anyone out here who has used them. Just wondering who you all would recommend and if you've had any experiences (good or bad) with a particular provider. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with Surewest or AT&T(at least when it comes to cable), but stay away from comcast if you have another option. Verizon's FiOS(which is what I think you are talking about) I have read very good things about the speed of the internet from them.

Also, if you are after satellite, you can't have the best internet. Your options with satellite are in most areas adding a landline and DSL from the phone company. And cable is almost always faster than DSL, and as for sat internet, just say no if there is any other option.

I'm not familiar with Surewest or AT&T(at least when it comes to cable), but stay away from comcast if you have another option. Verizon's FiOS(which is what I think you are talking about) I have read very good things about the speed of the internet from them.

Also, if you are after satellite, you can't have the best internet. Your options with satellite are in most areas adding a landline and DSL from the phone company. And cable is almost always faster than DSL, and as for sat internet, just say no if there is any other option.

I've hear nothing but bad things about Comcast and thats the main provider where I'm at. I've also heard good things about FiOS, but again, never met anyone who actually uses it.

If FiOS was available in Omaha I would have it. Technologically superior from everything I have heard and read. Too bad they have to sue their way into each new market, gonna be a long time before they hit NE.

I would say start with FiOS and if it is bad move to something else. Assuming there are no nasty contract to worry about. Another bad thing with Dishes actually.

If FiOS was available in Omaha I would have it. Technologically superior from everything I have heard and read. Too bad they have to sue their way into each new market, gonna be a long time before they hit NE.

I would say start with FiOS and if it is bad move to something else. Assuming there are no nasty contract to worry about. Another bad thing with Dishes actually.

Just found out Verizon doesn't offer service here yet. I'll look into SureWest some more. They both offer networks via fiber lines, but SureWest offers symetrical Internet speeds (5Mb up and down).

I'm thinking of finally getting off my ass and buying an LCD TV and actually paying for the Internet instead "borrowing" my neighbors. I don't need any phone service, just looking to get the fastest Internet and best HD picture for my buck.

As far as I know, the service providers in my area are Comcast, AT&T, Verizon (not 100% sure), SureWest and any dish provider. I was leaning towards SureWest, but don't know anyone out here who has used them. Just wondering who you all would recommend and if you've had any experiences (good or bad) with a particular provider. Thanks.

I have Surewest and I have to say it is very nice. Internet works really fast and you get a lot of channels while watching cable. The only two negatives are no ESPN360 or no Metro sports. Besides that its a good deal.

I have Surewest and I have to say it is very nice. Internet works really fast and you get a lot of channels while watching cable. The only two negatives are no ESPN360 or no Metro sports. Besides that its a good deal.

Thanks for the heads up. Metro isn't a big deal since they mainly show highschool sports.

I've had AT&T U-Verse and internet for about a year now. Only one issue and they were there the same afternoon to fix it. I've had to call a few times for non-complaint issues and each time they have offered something for free, i.e. HBO for 3 months, $10 off my bill for 6 months, etc. Good quality service and customer care.

Good luck :thumbs

i live out in the boonies currently, if you will, and have had experience with most available forms of internet, as ive lived in an actual cities as well. stay away from satellite internet. if you have access to cable, its old reliable. i prefer satellite TV over any cable service ive used, and if you like HD, i just switched from DirecTV to dish network...the amount of HD content/channels dwarfs anything out there IMO.

for internet, i have an all encompassing plan with verizon, and use the MiFi. Its completely rooster. I carry it in my pocket and have Wifi everywhere i go, or throw it on the desk and have wifi wherever im at. its as fast as anything ive used commercially available.

I've had Cox, Comcast, Time Warner and AT&T. As far as cable, AT&T U-Verse was by far the best service for the price and quality. They provide you with a box for every room so that you can watch different recorded shows anywhere, you can record 3 HD shows at one time which is 2 more than any other provider I believe, and the system as a whole is much better designed and functioning. One thing I really liked was the ability to preview other channels, other than the one you are currently watching, in the guide view. I have Time Warner at the moment (AT&T is not yet servicing our area) and the guide view is slow, unaesthetic and seems completely obselete program-wise.

The only complaint I had with AT&T, which they took care of promptly and fairly, pertained to licensing for the sports package. I was paying an extra $15 a month for the sports tier which included every ESPN, all FSN affiliates, Setanta, Horseracing, Golf, the Yankees Network and tons of other channels. Anyways, one of the reasons I bought it was to watch baseball games, but when baseball reason rolled around all the games were blacked out, even the ones on YSN. I called customer service and came to find out that AT&T did not have a license to broadcast MLB games, therefore they couldn't play them. Of course I bitched that they shouldn't advertise for something they can't broadcast and they promptly refunded (credited) me for a years worth of the Sport Tier. I was still pissed that I was missing games, but at least I got my money back. I don't know if they have fixed the glitch. Other than that, no complaints. Go with AT&T, you won't be disappointed.

OPHusker...you should have Time Warner as an option in your area too, don't you? Or are you in one of the zones that it's either Time Warner or SureWest?

I have Time Warner (in Prairie Village) and although the internet is fine...I'm not a huge fan of their cable. OR their HD-DVR boxes. Also, I don't like their HD channel line up. Can we really not get Comedy Central HD yet?! C'mon!

If I could change it would be to go with AT&T or or Direct TV.

Although, I think AT&T charges you extra if you use their DSL line and don't want the phone line. So watch out for that.

OPHusker...you should have Time Warner as an option in your area too, don't you? Or are you in one of the zones that it's either Time Warner or SureWest?

I have Time Warner (in Prairie Village) and although the internet is fine...I'm not a huge fan of their cable. OR their HD-DVR boxes. Also, I don't like their HD channel line up. Can we really not get Comedy Central HD yet?! C'mon!

If I could change it would be to go with AT&T or or Direct TV.

Although, I think AT&T charges you extra if you use their DSL line and don't want the phone line. So watch out for that.

I recently bought a house on the East side of Olathe, so I'm not longer in OP (as my name implies) and the main cable provider is ComCast. If I was still in Time Warner land I'd probably go with them, but I've heard so many bad experiences with ComCast that I'm not sold on them. My only complaint with AT&T is their Internet service, which seems really slow to me for the price you pay. I like the cable they provide, and as SOCAL pointed out their DVR setup, but SureWest just recently came out with the same setup. I think for now I'm going to start with SureWest (really wish Verizon was out here, heard nothing but good things) and if it sucks probaby switch to either AT&T or Dish Network and live with DSL.

Can't really give you any imput for an internet provider as I'm in Chicago, but I will put a plug in for Directv as your cable option.

Most HD channels and best packages available. It's not the cheapest option but it is the best in my opinion. I've had Dish Network, Time Warner, Comcast, etc in the past. One of my favorite things about Directv is the user interface. The way the guide, the channels, and everything you have to do with the remote work SO MUCH better than other providers.

Can't really give you any imput for an internet provider as I'm in Chicago, but I will put a plug in for Directv as your cable option.

Most HD channels and best packages available. It's not the cheapest option but it is the best in my opinion. I've had Dish Network, Time Warner, Comcast, etc in the past. One of my favorite things about Directv is the user interface. The way the guide, the channels, and everything you have to do with the remote work SO MUCH better than other providers.

I have Dish right now. If possible, I'd definitely recommend Dish or Directv... Currently, my Dish service is through Windstream (here in Lincoln) to also get my internet bundled into one bill. Any place out your way that has this type of deal?