Big 10+1 expansion

huKSer

It doesn't make a lot of sense for NU to go, because we'd have to start a new poll about who our rivals going to be (just kidding). I wouldn't want to go to the Little 11. One of the big reasons may sound dumb, but, I like the fact that our conference has a title game. Perfect example, this year. If we'd have been in the little 11, we'd have not had a chance to play for a conference title, and really "shock" the world, so to speak.

Uh...just curious as to why you think the B10 is wanted to add a school(s)? Very few schools would add much to their profits or prestige, but any school would add a conference title game.

For the record, I would fully support NU in the B10. More money, potential rivals, (since we haven't established a real rival in the north even after playing them for decades) and a conference that isn't completely controlled by one state.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for NU to go, because we'd have to start a new poll about who our rivals going to be (just kidding). I wouldn't want to go to the Little 11. One of the big reasons may sound dumb, but, I like the fact that our conference has a title game. Perfect example, this year. If we'd have been in the little 11, we'd have not had a chance to play for a conference title, and really "shock" the world, so to speak.

Uh...just curious as to why you think the B10 is wanted to add a school(s)? Very few schools would add much to their profits or prestige, but any school would add a conference title game.

For the record, I would fully support NU in the B10. More money, potential rivals, (since we haven't established a real rival in the north even after playing them for decades) and a conference that isn't completely controlled by one state.

I think they're looking at a CCG foremost, but also they're looking at the availability of the BIG TEN Network. The more cable systems they can get to carry it, and the more that carry it on the "basic" tier, the more money they make. And of course they'd like more eyeballs where it is already carried (Directv for example).

Notre Dame is of course the first choice, but I'd be surprised if they were interested. The talk after that is about getting into the east coast, especially the New York market. Thus, UConn and Rutgers. If they ignore geography, and I think they would be willing to, they may look at Texas. That would be the whale of the college football world, after ND. Texas brings a slew of good athletic programs, a bunch of eyeballs, and several big cable outlets. And of course it would get the Big Ten into the Texas recruiting game. I'm still betting on Texas to be the choice, if thye're interested.

Didn't we just talk about this? It's the offseason so we can hash it out again. I don't think you'll ever see NU end up in the little 11. We have no reason to leave the Big XII now, so what would be the benefit? I don't ever see ND going to a conference until their deal changes that they have right now. I guess I will agree that the little 11 seems to get more television time than the Big XII, but it helps when they have their own channel.

Huge things would have to change for ND to go to the "Little 11". Their TV deal being first and formost.

If UCONN or Rutgers would go, they'd be going to a conference where they'd have a better chance to get railed on a more regular basis for more money.

The teams that make the most sense to me...

Mizzou - Natural rival in Illinois, wouldn't hurt their recruiting (may end up improving it), and we wouldn't have their moronic fans bombarding our board

Pitt - Them making the jump would improve the competition, they'd be going to a more legit conference and that would be welcome news to the teams in the big east.

A couple "dark horses" I just thought of...

Cincy - I know they just had it handed to them in their bowl game, but would they take the chance moving to the Little 11??

ISU - (mainly I did this, to hopefully get a reaction from Cy) They improved greatly this year, but would they take the chance, a la Cincy?

exactly the whole point of adding a team would be to create a title game which is huge. My way of thinking is in a perfect world yes there choice would be Notre Dame but that does not seem like its gonna happen so next on the list is going to be a big east school (rutgers/uconn/pitt) im pretty sure one of them will be the pick. It would make the most sense IMO to be UCONN. Either way id expect some sort of changes to be in place by the 2013 season.

So, we'd want to leave a conference that already has a conference title game to go to a another conference, so they can have one? To me that doesn't make a lot of sense either. I'm sure somebody will post the numbers opposing what i'm about to say, but I think the strength of our conference is better than the Little 11. So, with strength of schedule always coming up in the conversation, wouldn't that make a difference?

I think they're looking at a CCG foremost, but also they're looking at the availability of the BIG TEN Network. The more cable systems they can get to carry it, and the more that carry it on the "basic" tier, the more money they make. And of course they'd like more eyeballs where it is already carried (Directv for example).

Notre Dame is of course the first choice, but I'd be surprised if they were interested. The talk after that is about getting into the east coast, especially the New York market. Thus, UConn and Rutgers. If they ignore geography, and I think they would be willing to, they may look at Texas. That would be the whale of the college football world, after ND. Texas brings a slew of good athletic programs, a bunch of eyeballs, and several big cable outlets. And of course it would get the Big Ten into the Texas recruiting game. I'm still betting on Texas to be the choice, if thye're interested.

Notre Dame likes being an Independent. It all about the money. They don't have to share their revenue with anyone since they do their own licensing agreements.

Texas would never bolt in a million years. They tailor made the Big 12 conference to their advantage.

Why would Texas give up systematic control of the Big 12 to be just another member university of the Big 10? I just don't see Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio State giving up their strangleholds to let Texas share in their spoils.

I'm still baffled as to why everyone thinks it's going to be ND or Texas? Neither school really has that much to gain going to the Little 11. As the aforemention poster stated, the Big XII is custom fit to UT, and ND would have to have so much money and concessions (not food smartasses) thrown at them, it could end up screwing the conference.

I really don't think that they could get that prestigous of a team to come in, except for maybe Pitt. I think they'd have to shoot for a "2nd tier" program, maybe on the verge of becoming a respectable power.

Notre Dame likes being an Independent. It all about the money. They don't have to share their revenue with anyone since they do their own licensing agreements.

Texas would never bolt in a million years. They tailor made the Big 12 conference to their advantage.

Why would Texas give up systematic control of the Big 12 to be just another member university of the Big 10? I just don't see Michigan, Penn State, or Ohio State giving up their strangleholds to let Texas share in their spoils.

To repeat, I'd be surprised if ND was interested. I have read that Big 10 teams actually make more from their share of the conference revenue than ND gets from NBC but even if that's true, ND takes pride in being independent so they probably aren't interested. As I said before.

As for Texas, I don't know which way they'd jump. Yes, the Big 12 works to their advantage, but the Big 10 provides a bigger national stage, and the Big Ten considers itself to be about more than just athletics. Texas has to like the idea of being included from a prestige/academic perspective. I suspect that the athletic interests at Texas would carry the day and say no, but they'd give it a lot of consideration.

I'm not sure most of us, viewing things from our parochial, fanboard, easy chair perspective, really understand the weight the Big 10 carries in academic/education circles. We may not all appreciate their athletics (I do, btw) but don't be surprised at the universities that end up jumping at this opportunity. In the end, the Big Ten may decide to stay at 11, but if they decide to go to 12 or bigger I don't expect them to have any problem finding prospective members willing to join.

It's interesting, but I haven't seen any opinion from Perlman on this issue. I know TO has said he's not interested, but Perlman might be wetting himself at the idea of getting his university into that prestigious club. I'll be watching this whole process with great interest. If by some miracle they do come after Nebraska, I think it would be a great thing for the Huskers, financially, athletically and academically.

The Big 10 is a secure home for the foreseeable futre. I don't believe that to be true of the Big 12.

There is circumstantial evidence and a growing rumor that Pitt will be the newest member of the Big 10 and announced sooner rather than later. We'll see...this would be a lot quicker than the 12-18 months the conference said was their timeline for a decision.

really? whered you hear this from?

i wouldnt look too much into the pitt thing

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/02/bogus-report-has-pittsburgh-set-to-join-big-ten.html