Big 10+1 expansion

huKSer

Why does everyone assume that our recruiting will suffer due to us joining the Big Televen? Someone please explain this to me.

First off, Nebraska has DECADES of ties to the state of Texas for recruiting. Funny, we had no problem recruiting the state in the 50 yrs prior to Texas joining the Big 12. If your program is committed to winning National Championships, athletes will come. The TV will be better with more people watching ESPN and ESPN2 than stupid FSN and Versus. The Pelini's have natural ties to hot bed recruiting states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, plus Louisiana and Texas.

I just don't buy the argument that athletes only come to Nebraska because of playing the occasional game in Texas. At most, we play 1 game a year in Texas. This is like Obama still blaming Bush for his failures. It makes no sense. It's like wiping before you poop.

That said. If you asked me 4 years ago, I'd a said no way. Now, I LOVE the idea of joining the Big 11. Playing Iowa (instantly becomes NU's biggest Rival) Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State would excite the fans. Toss in the fact we are now FREE to schedule Oklahoma EVERY YEAR instead of 2 times every 4 years. NU/OU could now be played YEARLY on the Friday following Thanksgiving or in the 4 weeks before conference season starts. How is this not a win/win situation?

At least entertain the offer Osborne/Perlman. Like another poster said, it may at least buy NU some more power in the Big 12. Osborne was the lone dissenter of the Big 12 because of the conference becoming Texas-centric...guess what? It is Texas-centric now...

Why does everyone assume that our recruiting will suffer due to us joining the Big Televen? Someone please explain this to me.

First off, Nebraska has DECADES of ties to the state of Texas for recruiting. Funny, we had no problem recruiting the state in the 50 yrs prior to Texas joining the Big 12. If your program is committed to winning National Championships, athletes will come. The TV will be better with more people watching ESPN and ESPN2 than stupid FSN and Versus. The Pelini's have natural ties to hot bed recruiting states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, plus Louisiana and Texas.

I just don't buy the argument that athletes only come to Nebraska because of playing the occasional game in Texas. At most, we play 1 game a year in Texas. This is like Obama still blaming Bush for his failures. It makes no sense. It's like wiping before you poop.

That said. If you asked me 4 years ago, I'd a said no way. Now, I LOVE the idea of joining the Big 11. Playing Iowa (instantly becomes NU's biggest Rival) Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State would excite the fans. Toss in the fact we are now FREE to schedule Oklahoma EVERY YEAR instead of 2 times every 4 years. NU/OU could now be played YEARLY on the Friday following Thanksgiving or in the 4 weeks before conference season starts. How is this not a win/win situation?

At least entertain the offer Osborne/Perlman. Like another poster said, it may at least buy NU some more power in the Big 12. Osborne was the lone dissenter of the Big 12 because of the conference becoming Texas-centric...guess what? It is Texas-centric now...

Ties to Texas don't matter when players don't want to play in the Big 10. There is a national perception out there that the Big 10 just isn't as good a conference as the Big 12 or SEC. Which, in all actuality, is true. Considering the Big 10 only won 1 national championship in the last decade, there is a different perception of that conference then there is the Big 12 or SEC.

Didn't we just talk about this? It's the offseason so we can hash it out again. I don't think you'll ever see NU end up in the little 11. We have no reason to leave the Big XII now, so what would be the benefit? I don't ever see ND going to a conference until their deal changes that they have right now. I guess I will agree that the little 11 seems to get more television time than the Big XII, but it helps when they have their own channel.

All the other threads that i remember talked about what one team would/should join little 11. This was the first proposal that grouped NU, KU and MU together. I was just thinking about reactions to this.

Ah, okay, I didn't pick up on that, carry on then. :thumbs

I agree with a lot of what you said, but still think that recruiting in Texas will be a lot more difficult, we don't just play Texas, we also play Baylor, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech. Players like the fact that they get to go back and play in their home state a couple of times per year, and several times throughout their career, in front of their friends and family. Players like Burkhead, with that whole deal with Texas, I think that was one of the things that appealed to him, he knew he was going to get a shot at Texas a couple of times throughout his career.

The more I think about it, the more I think it could be a good thing for academics and all sports (its not just football, nebraska has a pretty good volleyball program and womens bball seems to be doing pretty good), because of the tv deals, bowl games, trying to schedule Oklahoma every year etc. Doubt it happens, but if the opportunity comes up I think it should be looked at very hard especially if they are trying to pull 2 other north teams out of the big 12... What would we be left with, the swc 2.0 when texas adds 2 more teams? we'd be turning down tons more money, better tv deals, better bowl game deals to stick around in that mess?

I don't think it'd hurt pulling players out of Texas as much as you might think. The stigma of the old slow big 10 would go away pretty quick if it was a super conference like that with a championship game. Only downside would be trading colorado fans for penn st fans but I guess that is more a question of what you'd want thrown at you beer cans or batteries...

I heard some where that they could be looking at adding 3-5 teams making it 14-16 all together. If they take a KU and MU, (you definitely have to look at what's going to happen with the Big 12). Then if they add Pitt/Rutgers/UCONN (2 out of the 3), Neb needs to look strongly at this! Now you have a quality conference Ohio State, PSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, KU, MU, Pitt, Rutgers/UCONN. Those would be very exciting games. And with the level of competition in that conf, it could surpass the Big 12 and rival the SEC as the top conference.

If there was a way they could get ND interested, it would be very cool to see them in that conference, along with Pitt, Neb, MU, and KU!

And like redblooded said schedule Oklahoma every year and you got your self an action packed season. who wouldn't get excited about any of those games?!

Heard this discussed on KC radio - quoted some writer in Ohio, I think. I did a search but couldn't find a link so....

The proposal is Big 10+1 adds THREE teams - Nebraska (for football), Kansas (for basketball) and Missouri (for TV sets). Being KC radio - Kansas is added to keep the Border War going and NU makes it an even number.

I would personally like to the status quo, if the Big 12 fixes the revenue sharing

Thoughts?

This would never happen...pure fantasy. Nothing but the result of a bored mind.

Ties to Texas don't matter when players don't want to play in the Big 10. There is a national perception out there that the Big 10 just isn't as good a conference as the Big 12 or SEC.

Which, in all actuality, is true. Considering the Big 10 only won 1 national championship in the last decade, there is a different perception of that conference then there is the Big 12 or SEC.

However, perception is not the reality. The Big 12 as a whole, has the most appearances in the NC game, but they are second to the ACC with the worst win/loss percentage in the BCS National Championship game the last ten years. Also, the Big 12 is tied for second with the SEC for BCS qualifying teams (Big 10 ranks #1), but ranks toward the bottom again in total wins.

No. Appearances in BCS NC Games L10Y

• BIG 12 (7) - 4 Oklahoma, 2 Texas, 1 Nebraska
  • SEC (5) - 2 Florida, 2 LSU, 1 Alabama
  • BIG 10 (3) - 3 Ohio St.
  • BIG East (2) - 2 Miami
  • PAC 10 (2) - 2 USC
  • ACC (1) - 1 Florida St.

No. BCS National Championships L10Y

• SEC (5)
  • Big 12 (2)
  • Big 10 (1)
  • Pac 10 (1)
  • Big East (1)
  • ACC (0)

Conference Record in BCS NC game (# wins / # appearances) L10Y

• SEC (1.000)
  • Pac 10 (.500)
  • Big 10 (.333)
  • Big East (.333)
  • Big 12 (.286)
  • ACC (.000)

BCS Bowl Qualifiers L10Y

• Big 10 (17)
  • SEC (15)
  • Big 12 (15)
  • PAC 10 (12)
  • ACC (10)
  • Big East (10)

Win/Loss Record BCS Bowl Games L10/Y

• SEC (12-3) (.800)
  • PAC 10 (9-3) (.750)
  • Big East (6-4) (.600)
  • Big 10 (8-9) (.471)
  • Big 12 (5-10) (.333)
  • ACC (1-9) (.100)

So going by the numbers, the Big 10 is nearly equal to, or surpasses the Big 12 in every category.

No way the Big 11 takes away 3 teams. I do believe that taking Missouri is a very real posssibility just because of the tv audience/money situation. If this were to happen, and the Big 12 has to pick up TCU or someone else to get back to 12, there would really have to be some sort of re-alignment, maybe to an east-west oreintation as opposed to just throwin OSU to the North or their would be some serious animosity.

the more i think about it the more i think UCONN will be the team added to the Big 10....they fit the big 10 requirements for academics and every year they have a solid basketball program and are now building a serious football probram

I have to believe the Big East will do every thing in their power legal or otherwise to keep that kind of move from happening. Losing Pitt would be bad enough for them, but just losing UConn's men's basketball alone could bankrupt the whole conference. If you ask me the Big East would fight harder to keep the Huskies than any of their other teams, without them they might as well be the MAC.

Didn't we just talk about this? It's the offseason so we can hash it out again. I don't think you'll ever see NU end up in the little 11. We have no reason to leave the Big XII now, so what would be the benefit? I don't ever see ND going to a conference until their deal changes that they have right now. I guess I will agree that the little 11 seems to get more television time than the Big XII, but it helps when they have their own channel.

Huge things would have to change for ND to go to the "Little 11". Their TV deal being first and formost.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for NU to go, because we'd have to start a new poll about who our rivals going to be (just kidding). I wouldn't want to go to the Little 11. One of the big reasons may sound dumb, but, I like the fact that our conference has a title game. Perfect example, this year. If we'd have been in the little 11, we'd have not had a chance to play for a conference title, and really "shock" the world, so to speak.

If UCONN or Rutgers would go, they'd be going to a conference where they'd have a better chance to get railed on a more regular basis for more money.

The teams that make the most sense to me...

Mizzou - Natural rival in Illinois, wouldn't hurt their recruiting (may end up improving it), and we wouldn't have their moronic fans bombarding our board

Pitt - Them making the jump would improve the competition, they'd be going to a more legit conference and that would be welcome news to the teams in the big east.

A couple "dark horses" I just thought of...

Cincy - I know they just had it handed to them in their bowl game, but would they take the chance moving to the Little 11??

ISU - (mainly I did this, to hopefully get a reaction from Cy) They improved greatly this year, but would they take the chance, a la Cincy?