Kody Spano

And I just hope one of our QB candidates takes that role by the reigns this year. Someone in that group has to own that position & the leadership responsibilities that come with it. That's the only way our offense turns into a championship-caliber weapon.

i disagree, it wasn't so much Lee didn't understand the offense, he just could seldom make the throws he needed to make. i can't once remember when he even attempted to really stretch the field. none of our opponents ever feared getting burned deep, never.

now, this year his elbow will be healed and we will see what he can do, no more excuses, time to produce and put up some numbers!

And it wasn't that Lee doesn't have those throws in his game.

Whether it was just breaking down in games, or injury related...don't know.

i disagree, it wasn't so much Lee didn't understand the offense, he just could seldom make the throws he needed to make. i can't once remember when he even attempted to really stretch the field. none of our opponents ever feared getting burned deep, never.

now, this year his elbow will be healed and we will see what he can do, no more excuses, time to produce and put up some numbers!

I wish I could cite specific games, but I remember him throwing the long ball a few times last year. I hated it, too, because he always threw off his back foot and put WAY too much air under the ball. He consistently underthrew his receivers and I was amazed more of his passes weren't picked off.

Of course it's possible that his injury messed up his mechanics. I guess we'll find out this Fall. A lot of questions about Lee will be answered in the first couple of games, I think.

just want to add something about Lee

remember when we heard that his father told bo to "be hard on him"?

I am expecting Lee to be a completely different QB next year.

why?

he has support from his team

he has had success, so he is quite capable

he handles the media well

he understands the expectations

he has gone through it now, the fishbowl, the criticism.

he has shown he can do it, and after the heart to heart, ran very well, on multiple occasions.

he was initially coached into NOT running, so you have to laugh when now the coaches want him to run

all of this and more

there is serious potential that this kid will become a man in 2010

it is really up to him though, do or die

scott frost did it, so can zac

Well, the 97 Frost could run circles around Lee and with much, much more authority. Add to that he was arguably the best option qb we ever had and we're comparing mountains to molehills.

I think Martinez, Green or Spano have boatloads more potential than Lee. With an improved and deeper OLine, those running differences between Lee and the other three will just be greater. We'll see....

I like Cody Green's potential, I think he will make big strides this offseason; However I think it will depend on how Lee bounces back from surgery. We've seen flashes of how well Lee can throw the ball, he throws a really nice deep ball, but is hesitant to throw the ball down field at times, and most of the season he didn't seem to run the ball with much authority when he chose to pull it down. We finally saw that in the bowl game. If Zac Lee continues to play the way he did in the Arizona game, (he made decisive decisions, ran with determination, and threw the ball well) he will start, but I think we will still see a lot of Cody Green.

Here's the big question: did he hesitate to throw/run because of the injury? If so...I say let's start fresh with Lee and see what he can do. If he was hesitant last year for other reasons (e.g., didn't want to make a mistake, wasn't sure what to do, etc.), then I am concerned. This is a fast game, and those half second hesitations had an impact.

Also, Lee was noticeably off on most of his throws. Most were too high/low, behind the receiver, etc. If our receivers were better, they could've brought a lot of Lee's passes in, but alas...Was that due to injury as well? Again...I'm hoping so.

If all of Lee's "faults" were due to that injury, he could be a heck of a QB next year.

Lee is a mature, well-spoken young man with a good head on his shoulders. It doesn't mean he will be great next year, but he's definitely someone I'll be rooting for. I think he could use a little more love from the Husker fans :)

Yep. And in my anecdotal experience running into him at a sandwich shop some random Sunday, he took time to shake my hand, say hi to my wife and daughter and be pleasant overall. My very brief experience with the guy has been positive, and on the field I never thought he was half so bad as his worst critics said. He has some polish to put on his game, but I'm thinking he has as good of a chance to do that as anyone.

We tend to be too harsh on our young QBs.....remember what we did to Frost? Lee is a good kid, and a good young player. I hope he comes back from this injury next year and lights things on fire.

I do too. I'll say this for the guy, we never saw him complain or anything when he was benched for Green. I remember a couple of huge hits he took running the ball, knocked his helmet off, and he got up with a huge grin on his face. I like his attitude. Honestly, I don't wanna make excuses for him, I remember how good he looked in non-conference play. I know that was against sun-belt teams, but it's not like he needed to make way harder throws, or faces way different coverages. I think it could be that his arm had been bothering him since basically the beginning of the season, and that's why we saw such a huge drop in his play.

I think that the raw uncoachable talent Green has comapared to Lee isn't even close. Green had a long ways to go LAST season. Lee has more time in the system and is probably more mature, but I would hope that both Green and Spano (if healthy) would give Lee a run for his money. Overall Green has the measurables, speed, and strength that you would want for the leader at QB. All he has left to do is study extremely hard and learn all he can before spring ball and I believe then the job will be his. It is all up to how bad they want it, and that should make all of us excited about where this program is heading.

Like I said earlier, I just hope one of our QBs steps up to take the reigns of this offense. We need a field general who is a team leader on & off the field, and one who can do everything Watson needs him to do to make this offense succeed on a consistent basis. That has always been the mark of a great QB - consistently solid performances that put the defense on their heels.