#2 SS leaves team

from the husker board on HI :  safty leaves

can someone confirm?  and what is the story?  :wtf

:bad ?

Yes he left the team on sunday. It's not really that big of news, he just had to much stress to deal with at the moment with a kid and all and it just seems to have caught up with him. Unlike the story reported that it has to do with the position coach. No big loss either way since he hasn't even played a down in college football and i think with Leon moving to the safety position, the stress of not being able to play at all this year just got to him.

No big loss either way since he hasn't even played a down in college football

If he hasn't played a down then how did he get three letters? He was a special teams player and played SS a few times last year.

Yup you are right, my bad. I was thinking of somoene else. He did start 1 game last year against Texas Tech (when bullocks was injured during the KU game). Other then that, he has basically played mop up duty in other games and also on special teams. With leon going to the backfield now, some guys might get switched around. We should know more when the final roster is out

According to the radio he did leave because of something with Busch. I don't care what anyone says this is a loss. How big I don't know, but we are pretty thin at Safety. I know Jackson and Brothers moved there but this dude was a three year letter winner and neither of the other two haven't played a down at Safety. Hopefully one of them will step up(or Bullocks doesn't get hurt) and take his place.

According to the radio he did leave because of something with Busch.

I read the opposite. Anyone have the real story? I am especially curious to see if he is quitting school as well?

I agree this will hurt in terms of depth at the saftey position.

If he hasn't played a down then how did he get three letters? He was a special teams player and played SS a few times last year.

Yup you are right, my bad. I was thinking of somoene else. He did start 1 game last year against Texas Tech (when bullocks was injured during the KU game). Other then that, he has basically played mop up duty in other games and also on special teams. With leon going to the backfield now, some guys might get switched around. We should know more when the final roster is out

No wonder Tech put up 70 on us.

Shocking... <_<

LJS article

Nebraska No. 2 strong safety Shane Siegel has left the team, his dad said Tuesday.

"The only thing I can say as a parent is there are some issues between Shane and his position coach," said his father, Robert Siegel, referring to Bill Busch. "Shane was dinged up with an injury, and then something transpired between Shane and his coach and it just didn't work out."

Siegel, a senior from Grand Island, met with Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan both Sunday and Monday before deciding that leaving the team was the best course of action for him, Robert Siegel said.

Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell, designated as team spokesman Tuesday, declined comment on the matter, deferring to Callahan.

Callahan, however, wasn't scheduled to address reporters Tuesday. He'll likely address the Siegel situation today, a team spokesman said.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Siegel played in all 38 games with two starts the past three seasons. He was listed No. 2 on the depth chart behind classmate Daniel Bullocks.

A business administration major, Siegel was carrying a 3.825 cumulative grade-point average. He was a three-time academic All-Big 12 pick who came to Nebraska in 2001 as a walk-on.

Siegel and his wife, Jessica, have an infant daughter. Shane couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday night.

"He had a good career there," said Robert Siegel, who played basketball for the Huskers from 1974-77. "I'm proud of him."

GANZ IMPRESSIVE: Joey Ganz's performance in practice apparently is no fluke. In fact, Ganz has thrown for the highest percentage among NU quarterbacks in some practices, quarterbacks coach Jay Norvell said Tuesday. "He plays within the offense, and he doesn't try to freelance, which is exactly what we ask," Norvell said. "He's accurate with the ball. He throws a very catchable ball. He makes good decisions." Norvell said Ganz "is a snap away" from being the No. 1 quarterback, meaning that if Zac Taylor were injured, Ganz would be the first one off the bench. Ganz, a redshirt freshman, was NU's scout team quarterback last year. "It's not about having the biggest arm," Norvell said. "It's about getting the ball to the right guy with great timing."

MAKING STRIDES: As for Taylor, Norvell said the junior college transfer has made strides, that his comfort level has increased. "He has stepped up his game," Norvell said. "We challenged everybody now after being in camp for a couple of weeks, and he started really zeroing in on his reads and accuracy and started to lead our offense. It is good to see, and he needs to continue that progress."

QUICK TURNER: Senior offensive tackle Seppo Evwaraye has faced true freshman defensive end Barry Turner many times in practice, and he has formed a favorable opinion. "At this point, I would say he's one of our quicker guys," Evwaraye said. "He's a guy who has extremely good quickness off the edge. Hopefully, we can use him a lot in the nickel and pass-rush situations, just kind of bring a spark." Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said last week that Turner, a 6-foot-3, 245-pound native of Antioch, Tenn., will play this season.

PRACTICE REPORT: The Huskers practiced Tuesday afternoon inside Cook Pavilion and held a short scrimmage, focusing on short-yardage and goal-line situations. "We banged pretty good the last two days," Norvell said. "We hit much more than we did last year in camp. We are going to continue to hit." Nebraska has its third two-a-day session today and has one more two-a-day practice on Friday. Classes begin Monday. "We are going to bang 'em pretty good (this week) and see what we have," Norvell said. "We'll find out a lot about our young players and really get our continuity going with our first unit."

INJURY UPDATE : Among those sitting out with injuries Tuesday were middle linebacker Lance Brandenburgh and defensive back Jeff Souder.

Siegel leaves NU program

In this article it states that: Father says injury, disagreement with Busch major factors

By Terry Douglass

terry.douglass@theindependent.com

LINCOLN -- Shane Siegel's Nebraska football career has come to a surprising end.

Poised for his senior year with the Cornhuskers, Siegel left the program. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Grand Island Senior High graduate entered fall camp No. 2 on Nebraska's depth chart at strong safety behind Daniel Bullocks.

Siegel's decision was confirmed by his father, Bob Siegel, who now lives in Lincoln.

Bob Siegel said his son was apparently prompted to leave the program due to a combination of factors: an injury and a difference of opinion with Nebraska safeties coach Bill Busch.

"I've talked with Shane just a little, but I got the impression that he got injured and then something transpired between him and his position coach (Busch)," said Bob Siegel, who played basketball at Nebraska from 1974-77. "That's about all I know -- just the facts."

Nebraska officials declined to confirm that Siegel was no longer with the team following Tuesday's afternoon practice. When asked about Siegel's status, offensive coordinator Jay Norvell deferred to head coach Bill Callahan, who is scheduled to address the media Wednesday morning.

The elder Siegel said Shane had "a couple of meetings" with Callahan on Sunday. The decision apparently became final on Monday, Bob Siegel said.

Attempts to reach Shane Siegel Tuesday night were unsuccessful.

Siegel played in all 38 games over the past three seasons for Nebraska and earned a start last year against Texas Tech, recording a season-high seven tackles. The former Islander also had a sack in 2004 against Kansas and finished his career with 35 tackles, including two for loss.

The three-year letterman was a three-time first-team academic All-Big 12 selection and was named to the Big 12 Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll for eight semesters. Siegel has a 3.825 cumulative grade-point average and is on track to graduate in December as a business administration major.

Siegel and his wife, Jessica, have a four-month old daughter, Mae Nicole. Siegel missed the spring game last April due to the birth of his daughter.

However, Bob Siegel said he didn't think his son's family commitments had much to do with him leaving the program.

"A lot of people might want to think that it was because he has a young child, but he was handling all that very well," Bob Siegel said. "That wasn't a problem."

In an interview last Thursday, Shane Siegel said that he had a good session of summer workouts, but suffered a groin injury early in fall camp that kept him from being full speed.

"I want to be out there bad because it's my senior year," Siegel said last week. "It's so frustrating right now. Summer went well, I was ready to go and then this happens.

"I just want to get out on the field and go out on a good note."

Bob Siegel said he supports and respects Shane's decision.

"We bleed red in this family and we were looking forward to the program continuing to develop and Shane being a part of that, so I'm disappointed as a parent," Bob Siegel said. "But at the same time, when your son is 23 years old and he makes a decision, you have faith in him that he's making the right move.

"I'm really proud of Shane. He's done well."

Siegel was the third member of his family to play football at Nebraska. Brothers Stuart and Scott were both walk-ons for the Huskers. Scott Siegel now plays football at Nebraska-Kearney.