ESPN-Nebraska back to Frazier-ish roots

I think most of us have seen what Bo has done with his D, and how it adapts game to game depending on the offense. One thing always remained, though, and that was the ability for 4 down lineman to cause problems no matter what was going on behind them. I see us totally heading towards a spread type offense that has an emphasis of running at will being the rock, a la our defensive line. You can do a bunch of things out of the spread, including the option, but primarily if you have the ability to line up and get 4 yards whenever you want. Bo seems to be the type that would value such a thing. Im stoked and hope Watson can give us some of that Colorado type tight-end based run game that gave us a problem, without Colorado type results. ;)

Tommie was a dual threat QB. It was a threat if he pitched it, or if he kept it.

I remember someone back then say that Frazier could run like a deer, BUT he also through like one. That always cracked me up. Honestly though he wasn't all that bad in throwing against man coverages, I think it was the zones that gave him trouble.

And I would take anohter 100 qb's just like him..............

Good post.

Personally, I wouldn't classify him as a dual threat quarterback. I would classify Tommie Frazier as an option threat. He really wasn't that good of a passer, at any account. His numbers looked good, but you have to consider the offense he ran. When he passed, it was usually for pretty big gains, and it was usually because of play action. Those play action plays always left his receivers and tight ends wide open.

Not to say he couldn't thread the needle here and there, but I look at it kind of like how I look at TT quarterbacks. Generally, they aren't the best of quarterbacks, it just so happens that their system allows them to throw for 5,000 yards every year.

Frazier, Frost and Crouch were marginal passers at best. All they did was win.

While this is true, none of them were considered dual threat QB's. The closest thing to a dual threat QB to ever wear a Nebraska uniform was Berringer. This might be why he was the only one that would have been drafted to play QB in the NFL had it not been for his accident. I don't know that we ever go back to running the offense we did when TO was coach, but I bet we do go back to a power running team. I'm guessing the QB's we go after will look similar to Cody Green. Big kids with a strong arm that can if called upon run the football. Unlike TO's teams, we'll have to start burning scholarships to get elite fullbacks in here along with up to 4 great running backs. Cotton had better get his OL fired up.

Tommie was a dual threat QB. It was a threat if he pitched it, or if he kept it.

I remember someone back then say that Frazier could run like a deer, BUT he also through like one. That always cracked me up. Honestly though he wasn't all that bad in throwing against man coverages, I think it was the zones that gave him trouble.

And I would take anohter 100 qb's just like him..............

Good post.

Personally, I wouldn't classify him as a dual threat quarterback. I would classify Tommie Frazier as an option threat. He really wasn't that good of a passer, at any account. His numbers looked good, but you have to consider the offense he ran. When he passed, it was usually for pretty big gains, and it was usually because of play action. Those play action plays always left his receivers and tight ends wide open.

Not to say he couldn't thread the needle here and there, but I look at it kind of like how I look at TT quarterbacks. Generally, they aren't the best of quarterbacks, it just so happens that their system allows them to throw for 5,000 yards every year.

Frazier, Frost and Crouch were marginal passers at best. All they did was win.

While this is true, none of them were considered dual threat QB's. The closest thing to a dual threat QB to ever wear a Nebraska uniform was Berringer. This might be why he was the only one that would have been drafted to play QB in the NFL had it not been for his accident. I don't know that we ever go back to running the offense we did when TO was coach, but I bet we do go back to a power running team. I'm guessing the QB's we go after will look similar to Cody Green. Big kids with a strong arm that can if called upon run the football. Unlike TO's teams, we'll have to start burning scholarships to get elite fullbacks in here along with up to 4 great running backs. Cotton had better get his OL fired up.

Could not have said it better. I'll also add that saying Frazier not being a dual threat is in no way an attempt to discredit his abilities or accomplishment. It's not what he was.