Gavin's Point Dam

mitch7

I am planning a trip up to Gavin's Point for either this spring or summer and I was wondering if anyone on this board has been up there. The plan is to camp at Lewis and Clark Lake on either the NE or SD side. Does anyone know if one side is better than the other? But anyways, what I am really looking for is fishing tips for walleye and catfish. I have driven by the dam several times and it looks like it might be a hotspot for fishing and I also noticed that it holds several NE fishing records. If anyone has some good tips that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've fished below the dam at night and on the lake. I much prefer the lake. Below the spillway in a boat at night creeped me out. That's some deep scary current.

I know next to nothing about walleye fishing so I can't help you there. We were chasing catfish. We drift blood outside the mouth of Miller Creek on the Nebraska side. 2 years ago we caught 22 cats and the smallest was 5.5 pounds. The biggest was 14 pounds. Last year it was quite a bit slower . . . only 6 and the biggest was 9 pounds. Will you have a boat? I don't know anything about fishing lakes or the spillway from the bank.

Last word of advice, if you are camping stay either at the SD campground North and West of the dam. If you are staying on the Nebraska side the Weigand campground is the biggest and nicest. Also . . . if you have a boat avoid the Miller Creek boat ramp. It's terrible.

Been up there a lot, the NE side has nicer campsites, but don't allow boozing, in fact the last time i was there the park ranger was complete prick about it, unless they changed the laws I guess, but the SD is pretty good also and not as strict. Other than that it is a great lake for any type of recreation!