Terrence Moore to replace Suh

Clearly we have far less concern about how well our Dline will play next year when compared to say...the QB position. Regardless, the competition among these Dlinemen in the spring will be just as fun to watch (if not more so) because it's so stacked. :bonez

What's the word on this Williams kid? Did either Bo or Carl have anything to say about his progress recently?

I haven't heard a peep about him. I know he was listed at #2 behind Allen for the Holiday Bowl, but he didn't record any official stats. I can't find a participation list that includes his name, either, but I'm just about positive he played.

This question got my curiosity pumped up enough to scroll through NCAA.org

Josh WIlliams Solo Assisted

FLA. ATLANTIC 1 1

ARKANSAS ST. "Participated without stats"

Virginia Tech No info

LA.-LAFAYETT 1 0

Missouri No info

TEXAS TECH No info

Baylor No info

OKLAHOMA No info

Kansas No info

KANSAS ST No info

Colorado No info

TEXAS No info

ARIZONA No info

Edit: Or espn has the info on one page. Dammit. Wasted 5 minutes on ncaa when all the info was right there.

What's the word on this Williams kid? Did either Bo or Carl have anything to say about his progress recently?

I haven't heard a peep about him. I know he was listed at #2 behind Allen for the Holiday Bowl, but he didn't record any official stats. I can't find a participation list that includes his name, either, but I'm just about positive he played.

This question got my curiosity pumped up enough to scroll through NCAA.org

Josh WIlliams Solo Assisted

FLA. ATLANTIC 1 1

ARKANSAS ST. "Participated without stats"

Virginia Tech No info

LA.-LAFAYETT 1 0

Missouri No info

TEXAS TECH No info

Baylor No info

OKLAHOMA No info

Kansas No info

KANSAS ST No info

Colorado No info

TEXAS No info

ARIZONA No info

Edit: Or espn has the info on one page. Dammit. Wasted 5 minutes on ncaa when all the info was right there.

It's the thought that counts.

Although I'm still wondering if the coaches have said anything about Williams' development, including his PT.

I believe that Steinkuhler saw more game action than Moore. According to my Husker Illustrated magazine Steinkuhler has participated in 13 games with 6 tackles, 11 assists w/ 1 tackle for a loss. Moore only participated in 4 with only 1 tackle, 1 assisted, w/ 0 tackles for a loss. By gathering all of that information and personally witnessing this on TV and Live, I'm almost certain that Baker will be our starter next to Crick next year unless Moore totally out plays Baker during practice.

I believe that our starting front four for next year will look like this: Allen, Crick, Baker, and Meredith. Both Baker and Meredith have an upper hand against Moore and Ankrah because of experience w/ Baker playing in 13 games and Meredith in 14 games. I know Ankrah was a redshirt last year but Meredith saw plenty of game time and experience but his performance had people talking about him.

I believe that Steinkuhler saw more game action than Moore. According to my Husker Illustrated magazine Steinkuhler has participated in 13 games with 6 tackles, 11 assists w/ 1 tackle for a loss. Moore only participated in 4 with only 1 tackle, 1 assisted, w/ 0 tackles for a loss. By gathering all of that information and personally witnessing this on TV and Live, I'm almost certain that Baker will be our starter next to Crick next year unless Moore totally out plays Baker during practice.

I believe that our starting front four for next year will look like this: Allen, Crick, Baker, and Meredith. Both Baker and Meredith have an upper hand against Moore and Ankrah because of experience w/ Baker playing in 13 games and Meredith in 14 games. I know Ankrah was a redshirt last year but Meredith saw plenty of game time and experience but his performance had people talking about him.

Again, not saying you're wrong, and agreeing that Baker is really good, but remember that Moore was hurt all last year (turf toe) and that in Spring practice last year he was neck-and-neck with Crick for the spot along side Suh.

This probably means nothing, other than the fact that we shouldn't write Moore off in this horse race.

Again, not saying you're wrong, and agreeing that Baker is really good, but remember that Moore was hurt all last year (turf toe) and that in Spring practice last year he was neck-and-neck with Crick for the spot along side Suh.

This probably means nothing, other than the fact that we shouldn't write Moore off in this horse race.

Ya your right I remember hearing Bo praising Moores football skills and stuff but you can't write of experience that Baker has put in. I remember hearing stories about Baker during practice where our offensive lineman had a hard time blocking him and they way he was developing as a player. Could Moore come in next year and start, you bet, but could Baker be our starter next year, absolutely. I think that Baker will be the starter with Moore getting a series in here and there throughout a game.

I'm not ruling out Rome either. Kid has stated that he's going to come into spring ball expecting to play his first year. He's already enrolled into Lincoln has started working out with the Huskers during winter conditioning getting ready for Spring practice. Rome could come it and give both Baker and Moore a run for their money. We also have Jay Guy who enrolled early just like Rome and is doing winter conditioning getting ready for Spring practice.

Nah, I don't think I will be shocked. Experience is great, but Ankrah would have been on the field THIS YEAR as a true freshman if the depth hadn't been so good allowing him to gain an extra year. He has been practicing with the ones since just before mid season.

So yeah, from what I hear, it is more than just recruiting analysis. He has proven himself in practice and may not start for the first six games until he gets up to game speed, but will be the starter by the end of the year. Whether that's over Allen or Meredith, I'm not sure, but he will be starting.

See, this is the kind of thing that brings out Evil knapplc. 99% of the time I'm this very mild-mannered, kind-hearted guy, out in the world doing good deeds for strangers and the like.

But every once in a while Evil knapplc scratches his way to the surface. Most often he shows up when a rush end has beat the tackle and is drawing a bead on a QB's blind side, or when a bubble screen is about to get blown the hell up by a head-hunting safety. Most often those DE's and safeties are wearing scarlet and cream. Rather than feeling concern for my fellow men the WR or the QB, I feel an all-consuming glee at their impending destruction. It's a good feeling.

Stuff like Michael's post makes me think that, regardless of who starts, Evil knapplc will have plenty of times to rear his ugly head this season.

That's a good thing. :thumbs

Yeah... isn't it nice to be arguing over who will be the best of a really good array of players? For years it has been more an issue of "can we put someone out there who can play?" Now --- at least on defense --- it is more an issue of which beast gets the most snaps.

Nah, I don't think I will be shocked. Experience is great, but Ankrah would have been on the field THIS YEAR as a true freshman if the depth hadn't been so good allowing him to gain an extra year. He has been practicing with the ones since just before mid season.

So yeah, from what I hear, it is more than just recruiting analysis. He has proven himself in practice and may not start for the first six games until he gets up to game speed, but will be the starter by the end of the year. Whether that's over Allen or Meredith, I'm not sure, but he will be starting.

See, this is the kind of thing that brings out Evil knapplc. 99% of the time I'm this very mild-mannered, kind-hearted guy, out in the world doing good deeds for strangers and the like.

But every once in a while Evil knapplc scratches his way to the surface. Most often he shows up when a rush end has beat the tackle and is drawing a bead on a QB's blind side, or when a bubble screen is about to get blown the hell up by a head-hunting safety. Most often those DE's and safeties are wearing scarlet and cream. Rather than feeling concern for my fellow men the WR or the QB, I feel an all-consuming glee at their impending destruction. It's a good feeling.

Stuff like Michael's post makes me think that, regardless of who starts, Evil knapplc will have plenty of times to rear his ugly head this season.

Yeah... isn't it nice to be arguing over who will be the best of a really good array of players? For years it has been more an issue of "can we put someone out there who can play?" Now --- at least on defense --- it is more an issue of which beast gets the most snaps.

I think so, but for some reason someone gigged my post. Go figure. :)

Oh yeah, great point!

It's simply wonderful to have such brutal depth with the DLine. In a year or two hopefully with the OLine too. I love the direction we're going!!

• 1 month later...

I have very high hopes for Cam Meredith. I was impressed with him in limited action this year. With full season under his belt, I expect a leap forward.

Ankrah will keep Meredith honest if Meredith has any inclination to slack off. Anytime you have three guys vying for two spots, competition shouldn't be a problem. I expect whomever wins those starting RE spots to be fierce this year.

I would be shocked if Ankrah wasn't starting next year. He's real good.

He may be, but so is Meredith. What I wonder about is, what about Ankrah AND Meredith starting? I love me some Pierre Allen, but last year he didn't have a stellar season. Maybe Suh gobbled up all the tackles, or maybe Allen's role was different than the Rush End I typically think of, but statistically neither Allen nor Turner were high-impact players last year.

Both Turner and Allen started all 14 games last year. Both finished with 51 total tackles. Turner had five sacks, Allen had 5.5. Turner had 15 tackles for loss; Allen had 12.

In limited duty Meredith had 21 tackles, 1.5 sacks and five tackles for loss. If you watched him he clearly seemed faster than Turner, and his numbers are respectable for a guy who didn't get a start. With another year under his belt, I can see him challenging Allen for the other starting spot, presuming Ankrah is good enough to earn one on his own.

My best guess is it'll be Allen and Meredith starting with Ankrah getting many reps.

Allen was pretty banged up all season. Its not that i dont like allen it that ankrah is a beast!! Look for three to share time this year. With meredith and ankrah to be starting by the end of the year