Terrence Moore to replace Suh

What's the word on this Williams kid? Did either Bo or Carl have anything to say about his progress recently?

I haven't heard a peep about him. I know he was listed at #2 behind Allen for the Holiday Bowl, but he didn't record any official stats. I can't find a participation list that includes his name, either, but I'm just about positive he played.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If he were as involved in Husker football as we are, then he'd know Baker is the more likely candidate at this point.

Considering T. Moore only played in 4 games compared to 13 that Baker played in, I'd have to say it's Baker's spot to lose. That's not to say that Moore or someone else could take it. This coaching staff preaches competition in everything, so nothing is a given. Just saying what I saw from looking at the stats.

Again, let's not forget that Moore played a portion of last year injured. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I'm just saying Stein isn't a lock for the spot.

I'm not saying he is either. I'm just saying Baker is the more likely candidate at this point given the fact that he had more playing time and was healthy the whole year, as far as I know.

But the Baker to OL talk has been ended. I believe the coaches said he is staying on defense.

Link? The thread discussing it never reached a conclusion, and I haven't seen anything about it on the major sites since then.

Steinkuhler to remain on D Line

Also in that article they discuss Cole Pensick heading from the DL to Center.

Thanks for the link here. I think Bo's decision to keep Baker on the Dline speaks volumes about what the coach envisions for 2010 - Baker will be one of our best.

I think Griffin barely scratches the surface of the teams he covers. I think his knowledge is generally less than that of a more-informed-than-average college football fan. How he got that gig is beyond me. If I got paid to cover college football, you can bet I'd have WAY more insight into the teams I cover than he provides.

Be that as it may, I think Moore has as good a chance to start as anyone else. He was slowed by injury (turf toe) in 2009, remember. This time last year Moore and Crick were neck-and-neck for the spot aside Suh. When Suh was "injured" during the Oklahoma game, Moore went in for one play. The Sooners ran right at him... and he stonewalled the play.

Moore seems like no slouch, but I think competition between Moore and Steinkuhler will be fierce. There are worse things than to have two guys in close competition for a starting spot.

Glad to hear that Moore can be a good one. What really makes this even better is that the coaches have said that another guy coming off of a redshirt as a freshman --- a guy named Thadeous Randel --- has the quickest first step they have seen and that he is as well projected to be really good. So....

with Crick (Jr), Baker Steinkuhler (So), Moore (So?) and Randle (RFR) we are loaded and young. Not to mention that Rome and Guy are coming in too. The defensive interior may never again see a Suh --- but will likely be really, really, really good nonetheless.

From what i've read on this board, it seems Meredith won't even start, and Ankrah will get the nod....based on that, griffin got 2 of our four defensive line starters right...I hope Meredith does start, with Ankrah subbing in for both the DE's quite a bit.

Meredith --- per unit time on the field -- outplayed Barry Turner. He looks really, really good and has experience. Ankrah has yet to take a college snap. The odds of Ankrah winning the starting job from a healthy Meredith is very, very, very low indeed. It will be Meredith and Pierre Allen --- Ankrah will be a very able backup (we surmise) --- but bacvk-up as a freshman he will be.

• Fire 1

I have very high hopes for Cam Meredith. I was impressed with him in limited action this year. With full season under his belt, I expect a leap forward.

Ankrah will keep Meredith honest if Meredith has any inclination to slack off. Anytime you have three guys vying for two spots, competition shouldn't be a problem. I expect whomever wins those starting RE spots to be fierce this year.

I would be shocked if Ankrah wasn't starting next year. He's real good.

I have very high hopes for Cam Meredith. I was impressed with him in limited action this year. With full season under his belt, I expect a leap forward.

Ankrah will keep Meredith honest if Meredith has any inclination to slack off. Anytime you have three guys vying for two spots, competition shouldn't be a problem. I expect whomever wins those starting RE spots to be fierce this year.

Prepare to be shocked then.

Why would you expect an unknown who has not played a snap to beat out an already proven and experienced player who played very, very well. Experience is a huge thing. Meredith has experience and has proven himself to be a legit and very good DE. Ankrah is but potential based upon recruiting analysis. Ankrah may be better in the long haul than Meredith --- perhaps --- or perhaps not. But... Meredith with 13 games experience versus Ankrah with the same number of college snaps as you an I at this point (exactly zero).. well Ankrah puts in his time an learns as Meredith holds down the fort at DE.

Why would you expect an unknown who has not played a snap to beat out an already proven and experienced player who played very, very well. Experience is a huge thing. Meredith has experience and has proven himself to be a legit and very good DE. Ankrah is but potential based upon recruiting analysis. Ankrah may be better in the long haul than Meredith --- perhaps --- or perhaps not. But... Meredith with 13 games experience versus Ankrah with the same number of college snaps as you an I at this point (exactly zero).. well Ankrah puts in his time an learns as Meredith holds down the fort at DE.

I agree with you that Meredith is the more likely starter but the coaches did mention how well Ankrah had been playing in practice. Perhaps that is what Michael is referring to?

He may be, but so is Meredith. What I wonder about is, what about Ankrah AND Meredith starting? I love me some Pierre Allen, but last year he didn't have a stellar season. Maybe Suh gobbled up all the tackles, or maybe Allen's role was different than the Rush End I typically think of, but statistically neither Allen nor Turner were high-impact players last year.

Both Turner and Allen started all 14 games last year. Both finished with 51 total tackles. Turner had five sacks, Allen had 5.5. Turner had 15 tackles for loss; Allen had 12.

In limited duty Meredith had 21 tackles, 1.5 sacks and five tackles for loss. If you watched him he clearly seemed faster than Turner, and his numbers are respectable for a guy who didn't get a start. With another year under his belt, I can see him challenging Allen for the other starting spot, presuming Ankrah is good enough to earn one on his own.

My best guess is it'll be Allen and Meredith starting with Ankrah getting many reps.

Nah, I don't think I will be shocked. Experience is great, but Ankrah would have been on the field THIS YEAR as a true freshman if the depth hadn't been so good allowing him to gain an extra year. He has been practicing with the ones since just before mid season.

So yeah, from what I hear, it is more than just recruiting analysis. He has proven himself in practice and may not start for the first six games until he gets up to game speed, but will be the starter by the end of the year. Whether that's over Allen or Meredith, I'm not sure, but he will be starting.

Nah, I don't think I will be shocked. Experience is great, but Ankrah would have been on the field THIS YEAR as a true freshman if the depth hadn't been so good allowing him to gain an extra year. He has been practicing with the ones since just before mid season.

So yeah, from what I hear, it is more than just recruiting analysis. He has proven himself in practice and may not start for the first six games until he gets up to game speed, but will be the starter by the end of the year. Whether that's over Allen or Meredith, I'm not sure, but he will be starting.

See, this is the kind of thing that brings out Evil knapplc. 99% of the time I'm this very mild-mannered, kind-hearted guy, out in the world doing good deeds for strangers and the like.

But every once in a while Evil knapplc scratches his way to the surface. Most often he shows up when a rush end has beat the tackle and is drawing a bead on a QB's blind side, or when a bubble screen is about to get blown the hell up by a head-hunting safety. Most often those DE's and safeties are wearing scarlet and cream. Rather than feeling concern for my fellow men the WR or the QB, I feel an all-consuming glee at their impending destruction. It's a good feeling.

Stuff like Michael's post makes me think that, regardless of who starts, Evil knapplc will have plenty of times to rear his ugly head this season.

That's a good thing. :thumbs

• Fire 1