What years did NU play in title game

theneguy95

In 1994, would Miami have won the NC if they would have beat us or would Penn State have been the NC? I know the Penn State fans are still bitter about all that.

Miami was ranked 3rd, so there only chance to win the NC would have been to beat us and then have Penn State lose to Oregon the next day.

There was no "title game" until the BCS. In a true title game, whichever team wins is #1. Pre-BCS, the bowls didn't line that up very often for a bowl game.

You can look at is as "if team X won their bowl game, would they have finished #1", or the easier "going into the bowls, could team X finish #1?"

Miami 1994 only meets the latter, but Penn State didn't lose.

Nebraska 1981 probably meets both criteria, because both Georgia and Alabama lost, assuming the vote would've come out right.

There's no way I'd say that losing to the team that finished #1 counts as playing in the title game, as we did in 1990 and 1991.

Here's some trivia for you. Name the team that went into the bowls rated #3; #1 and #2 lost while that #3 team won their bowl game; yet in the final poll that #3 team finished ... #3.

1970 Nebraska team.

Texas was #1 and Ohio St. was #2.

Don't forget that a similar situation happened to the '65 Husker team with opposite results. We were undefeated and ranked #3 going into the Orange Bowl against #4 Alabama. #1 Michigan St. and #2 Arkansas both lost their bowl games earlier in the day and the National Title was up for grabs for Nebraska. Unfortunately we lost the game 39-28. :facepalm:

No, I'm not talking about 1970 Nebraska, I'm talking about a team that finished #3, not #1, despite the #1 and #2 teams losing their games and #3 winning.

Nexus is technically correct - The UPI did not have a post-bowl game vote, only regular season counted. So the rankings were "frozen" and Texass was a split national champion with NU

No, I'm not talking about 1970 Nebraska, I'm talking about a team that finished #3, not #1, despite the #1 and #2 teams losing their games and #3 winning.

In what poll are we talking about? Is this pre or post BCS?

#1 and #2 can't both lose since they play each other in the BCS, so obviously it was before. And to make it clear, I'm talking about the AP rankings immediately before and after the bowl games.

Nebraska

81-played for NC (Lost to Clemson)

:yeah

:clap

I wondered if you might get in on this thread when I looked all this up (as best I could) and saw that.

To tell you all the truth I started this hoping to get a little information for a debate/argument with a Miami fan, but have in turn learned a lot thanks to your insight. I was born in '86 so much of the 80s and early 90s I was either not born yet or was a blurr since I was so young at the time. Thanks all for the information.

prior to the bcs style, its impossible to say what years (especially in the 80's) which games were truely national championship games, in that decade we usually played in the orange bowl if we won the big 8 there was no true 1 vs 2, however sometimes this worked out. And the arguement against about nebraska vs miami being better in the decades i would say that in the '80s miami had our number, we did play in a tougher conference with the matchup against ou basically determined who went to miami, however in the 90's no question nebraska was the team of the decade and i would take our 90's team against miami's '80s team. No one would come close to the 95 team, many believe this to be the best team ever. You look at the way we killed teams and also were classy about it. I dont know how many of you guys saw the u documentary on espn, it was sickening. Guys were straight thugs and played backyard ball. Our 90 teams were amazing and you look at the 94 orange bowl against florida state, if the refs would let our guys hit ward instead of bogus roughing the passer calls we would have easily won that game, 96 texas was a fluke and i think we still had the best team that season, and 99 texas just had our number or else we had another national championship.

Nebraska

I wondered if you might get in on this thread when I looked all this up (as best I could) and saw that.

To tell you all the truth I started this hoping to get a little information for a debate/argument with a Miami fan, but have in turn learned a lot thanks to your insight. I was born in '86 so much of the 80s and early 90s I was either not born yet or was a blurr since I was so young at the time. Thanks all for the information.

I was born in '85, so I unfortunately missed that game. I made the Gator Bowl though!

Nebraska

I was born in '85, so I unfortunately missed that game. I made the Gator Bowl though!

Yeah i was born in '85 also but every thing i have heard about this game says clemson cheated! :sarcasm something about bogus holding calls on nebraska? :dunno . I thought that i would put in my input here.