The recipe for a championship?

With all the arguments over what kind of offenses to run I looked up all the national champions since 1990. If you look back most of the teams favored running the ball and playin defense.

1990: colorado/georgia tech, both teams had a good running game and a good defense.

1991: miami/washington

Miami threw the ball quite a bit but were also very good at running it. Don't know much about that washington team.

1992: alabama

Saun Alexander was a really good back and their defense was crazy good.

1993: florida state

I think everyone remembers how this team played.

1994: Nebraska

Obviously followed the recipe

1995: Nebraska

See 1994

1996: florida

Air attack obviously under Spurrier

1997: Nebraska/Michigan

We know what Nebraska did but Michigan also had a good power running attack with a really good oline not to mention a really good defense.

1997: Tennessee

T. Martin ran the offense and was a very good running QB

1999: Florida State

Sorry guys for some reason I barely remember this team. Some help on this year please

2000: Oklahoma

Really good running team and great defense.

2001: Miami

They had probably the most rediculous stable of running backs in recent memory.

2002: Ohio State

Maurice Clarret was awesome this year and the sweater vest always has a good d

2003: LSU/USC

Nick Saban was the coach at LSU so they played much like Bama this year. USC had Bush and White so they ran the ball well.

2004: USC

See 2003

2005: Texas

Vince young was a lot better running than throwing and the defense was good.

2006: Florida

Their offense is so wierd but even then much of it was based on speedy running backs and reverses and shuffle passes.

2007: LSU

The hat had lester at running back and the offense was a power running style.

2008: Florida

Once again wierd offense but rushing stats from that year are really impressive.

2009: Bama

Power running and probably the best defense besides us last year.

Looking at all those teams you can see a lot of trends amurge. The thing that surprises me the most is the amount of mobile qbs. Obviously you can't win without a good defense but almost all of those teams ran the ball very well. This is just proof that we need to run the ball downhill and control the clock. Sorry if you think this post is pointless and sorry for any mistakes or false statements I made. I typed this on my phone so didn't get much research in.

• Fire 1

Nice thread, but still I prefer some actual stats-not just memory. I mean actual percentages like number of carries, yards per run,etc. Tom Osborne said that when you run the ball two things could happen, one of them bad. When you pass the ball three things could happen and two of them bad. I guess it makes since.

I think we'll have a "real" running game when we don't get stuffed like sardines vs BigXII & other ooc stiff defenses. For the last several years we've padded our annual running stats on ooc patsies and garbage time blowout losses. Hardly the real deal.

I think this year Bo has developing a punishing run game in his sights. I don't doubt that in a couple of years he'll get it done. When that happens, NU is "back".

The Ravens and the Buccaneers won Super Bowls with QB's that I would consider below average in the league. However, their QB's weren't asked to do very much besides not turn the ball over. They won with strong D's and mistake football. In all reality, this is how Pittsburgh has won a couple Super Bowls as well. Although Big Ben is a better QB than Dilfer or Johnson ever thought of being.