First Husker Game

When was your first Husker game?

My dad took me to the ISU-NU game in...1981...sat in north-west endzone. I'll never forget it, heard after the game Turner Gill was hurt...soon thereafter they thought he may never play again.

I only had two jackets for a cool day...a very light Husker jacket, and a heaver Denver Broncos coat. Wore the Husker jacket over the DB coat, but got hot and had to take it off.

When was your first game at Memorial Stadium?

My dad was sitting in the south end zone in the first row and saw Gayle Sears pf KU rip off a 90-something yard run right in front of him. Not his first game, but a memory.

My grandfather said he leapt the fence and saw the Huskers beat the Four Horsemen from ND...not sure about the truth to that one, though...my ol' grandpappy had a penchant for telling tall tales! Said it was his first game, tho...

1995 team vs then ranked 8th kansas state. I was 11 years old, and got a game ball stuffed into my gut by Frank Solich as the team was running through the tunnel. It gives me goosebumps just to think about it.

I was also at that game - we rocked those PP's if memory still serves.

Thats pretty cool about the ball. So did you tuck it & hit the hole or what?? :horns2

1995 team vs then ranked 8th kansas state. I was 11 years old, and got a game ball stuffed into my gut by Frank Solich as the team was running through the tunnel. It gives me goosebumps just to think about it.

Funny story about that game. I have it on tape, and I was watching it one day probably back in 1999, I noticed that my aunt and uncle were at the game, and they showed them on TV coming back from a commercial break, which was pretty funny. Also, that was the game that Luther Hardin made an INT return for a touchdown, off a ball that I believe Kelsay tipped. Well, about a week after watching that game, I went to a Super Bowl party (Falcons v Broncos) and who showed up but Luther Hardin. It was pretty damn funny, I said, "Man, I just watched the 95 KSt game a couple of days ago" and he said "Oh man, did you catch my TD!!" The whole lot of us was :wasted

In 1959 my Dad and I watched NU break the OU conference win streak. (I was a frosh at Nebr Wesleyan). I believe it was a week after ND broke their national game consecutive streak. Although we won, that Sooner team was like watching a ballet. They jogged to the huddle, stopped for maybe one second, then jogged to the formation and without more than a count snapped the ball. Their sweeps were a thing of beauty. Bud Wilkinson was a one in a kind. He had the knowledge, the organization and a lot of class. Following the game the students tore down the goal posts (in concrete) and paraded them down O ST. I read later that the crowd noise, in the movie Ben Hur, was recorded at that game.

My Dad was a frosh at NU in '29 and worked concessions in the stadium to make ends meet. He saw the great ND team and also saw the great Army team get defeated. Because the depression hit he was forced out of school. The next time you are in the stadium or see pictures, try to envion the size it was then!

In 1959 my Dad and I watched NU break the OU conference win streak.  (I was a frosh at Nebr Wesleyan).  I believe it was a week after ND broke their national game consecutive streak.  Although we won, that Sooner team was like watching a ballet.  They jogged to the huddle, stopped for maybe one second, then jogged to the formation and without more than a count snapped the ball.  Their sweeps were a thing of beauty.  Bud Wilkinson was a one in a kind.  He had the knowledge, the organization and a lot of class.  Following the game the students tore down the goal posts (in concrete) and paraded them down O ST.

That would have been a heck of a game to see. Probably one of the last real upsets the Huskers have pulled off. After Devaney came, the Huskers couldn't sneak up on many teams. My dad has told me about that game lord knows how many times. He said Wilkinson wouldn't even shake Jennings hand after the game. That was a completely different era in Husker football. My dad would tell me that they gave away football tickets at markets and filling stations. My how the times have changed.

Roy CO HSKR - my first game was also the 1959 NU - OU game when we broke the Sooner's Big 8 win streak (at 59 games?). I was in boy scouts and sat in the "knot-hole" section in the end zone. I remember that the stadium was no where near full at the start of the game, but that changed when local fans started thinking upset. The stadium was full and crazy by the end of the game.... and yes I remember seeing the goal posts being torn down and walking with the crowd down O St.

It was one of my fondest childhood memories!