Shatel: Watson wants to keep foes guessing

Nexus

What gets me is the idea that we can evolve into winning games. Husker fans should be shaking their heads at that one. In order to win the National Championship, and for Bo to be happy, we have to win ALL of our games. We can't lose a couple to a bad game plan while Wats is working to get the offense to "evolve." This statement by Wats leads me to believe that each season will start with a number of games where the offense is "finding its way." This is why I got so mad at Callahan. He had the same mentality. I feel good about the strong finish to our season this year, but we can't lose three or four games every year and reach our goals. We need to EVOLVE right now. We can't spend five games in 2010 looking for the answers, then take off. In the NFL, you can do that. NOT in College Football. Dang it Wats. Figure that out. PLEASE

The transition from year to year will be easier once we have sufficient depth on both sides of the ball, especially in the trenches. We haven't been this deep at the lineman position on both sides of the ball in a long time. This will be the difference between retooling and reloading every year.

Q: You mean like Cody Green? Were you concerned that he wasn't ready?

A: Most coaches would tell you that when you recruit a (quarterback), you hope to bring him in as the third guy, let him sit behind a starter, and gain experience and compete the next fall. Cody got thrown into a tough situation. Cody is going to be a heck of a football player. I believe in his talent, his football intelligence, all those things will come together. He just needs time. If you remember the Oklahoma game, those lights were too bright there. Had we left him in there we might have ruined him and ruined our chances to win. He's 17. There's emotions involved. Everyone handles those different. Emotionally, he wasn't quite ready for that.

It's always good to see your OC believes in arguably his best recruit from the '09 class, in spite of how he did last year. And by goly, I think Wats did the right thing with Green in that OU game. Could turn out to be the difference in how successful Green becomes over the next couple years.

We're not going to be like some of these teams in our league that are pass first, run second. We are going to be run first, pass second. We believe we have to run the ball to win championships and run physically. Where people get lost is they think you can't run physically out of the shotgun. You can.

And there you have it.

:clap

The very, very finest music to my ears!

Q: Zac was taking a lot of heat from us, from fans, all season. He gets benched. Did you ever think about telling people that he was playing hurt?

A: No, because you don't want that information out to opponents. We're in management mode at that time.

We had a lot to manage. We lost Rex. Roy and his shoulder, he was never right, it chronically got worse as the season went on. In the Baylor game, one shot and he's done. The whole thing began with losing Jaivorio (Burkes) and Quentin (Castille) before the season, to Roy's situation. We lose Jacob Hickman in the Iowa State game. Mike Smith. Keith Williams, Marcel Jones, D.J. (Jones) had bad high ankles, both of them. We were battered in the offensive line.

I think people forget this... and he didnt mention spano and Witt. we didnt lose as much as OU, but we sure did lose a lot. compound that with the senors that we lost last year...... watson did not a have a group hat was even remotely close to full force.

How could anyone forget this? It's only been mentioned about a half million times in the last two months! :rolleyes:

and yet people still crucify watson. he lost his 1st,2nd and 4th string qb,his 1st and 2nd WR, his his 1st and co 2nd string rb plus all off the line issues. oh yeah and the only QB left with any experience was hurt most of the year. so yeah..... its still seems to be forgotten... I dont know how.

Gee, I wouldn't have guessed that NU is the only offense that had injuries. In 25 years I wonder how many TO offenses ranked worse than SW's 99th? Wow....none?? I guess TO just had unbelievable good luck with injuries. 25 years worth! How about that....

How about Frank's 7 years? Any as bad as 99th? None? Ok....just good luck again. In Clownahan's 4 years? None? Hmmmm......I guess he was just lucky too.

As SW stated, "a punt was a good play". Well, I guess when your offense is that putrid, then a punt isn't a bad call indeed. I'm sure worried that he wants to be a HC. No doubt everybody wants him badly.

Q: Zac was taking a lot of heat from us, from fans, all season. He gets benched. Did you ever think about telling people that he was playing hurt?

A: No, because you don't want that information out to opponents. We're in management mode at that time.

We had a lot to manage. We lost Rex. Roy and his shoulder, he was never right, it chronically got worse as the season went on. In the Baylor game, one shot and he's done. The whole thing began with losing Jaivorio (Burkes) and Quentin (Castille) before the season, to Roy's situation. We lose Jacob Hickman in the Iowa State game. Mike Smith. Keith Williams, Marcel Jones, D.J. (Jones) had bad high ankles, both of them. We were battered in the offensive line.

I think people forget this... and he didnt mention spano and Witt. we didnt lose as much as OU, but we sure did lose a lot. compound that with the senors that we lost last year...... watson did not a have a group hat was even remotely close to full force.

How could anyone forget this? It's only been mentioned about a half million times in the last two months! :rolleyes:

and yet people still crucify watson. he lost his 1st,2nd and 4th string qb,his 1st and 2nd WR, his his 1st and co 2nd string rb plus all off the line issues. oh yeah and the only QB left with any experience was hurt most of the year. so yeah..... its still seems to be forgotten... I dont know how.

Gee, I wouldn't have guessed that NU is the only offense that had injuries. In 25 years I wonder how many TO offenses ranked worse than SW's 99th? Wow....none?? I guess TO just had unbelievable good luck with injuries. 25 years worth! How about that....

How about Frank's 7 years? Any as bad as 99th? None? Ok....just good luck again. In Clownahan's 4 years? None? Hmmmm......I guess he was just lucky too.

As SW stated, "a punt was a good play". Well, I guess when your offense is that putrid, then a punt isn't a bad call indeed. I'm sure worried that he wants to be a HC. No doubt everybody wants him badly.

Can you name any of TO’s offenses that had *that* many injuries? I didn’t think so. Sure, every team has injuries and attrition every single year. But not like the perfect storm of injuries and attrition we had last year. Last year we had a freakish amount--worse than any other year I can recall.

If our 2009 problems weren’t due to injuries, attrits or graduation, then what happened? Did Shawn lose his notebook? Or just forget how to coach? Do you remember that in 2008 our offense under Wats was ranked 12th.

And what is your point about comparing Wat’s offense last season to the offenses fielded under “Clownahan”? You do realize that Wats was Callahan’s OC when we had a top-10 offense in 2007, right?

Sure, our offense did SUCK last year at times. Especially in B12 play. But look what Wats did in the bowl game. He owned Arizona, mineral rights and all. They had no clue what was coming. No clue whatsoever.

Unfortunately Watson doesn't have a month to prepare for most games . . . and equally unfortunately Watson will seldom be able to produce an entirely different offense than the opposing team defense prepared for.

Injuries, inexperience, etc. all contributed. However, much of the blame still rests squarely on Watson's shoulders. The sooner he is gone the happier I will be.

Sure, our offense did SUCK last year at times. Especially in B12 play. But look what Wats did in the bowl game. He owned Arizona, mineral rights and all. They had no clue what was coming. No clue whatsoever.

Unfortunately Watson doesn't have a month to prepare for most games . . . and equally unfortunately Watson will seldom be able to produce an entirely different offense than the opposing team defense prepared for.

Injuries, inexperience, etc. all contributed. However, much of the blame still rests squarely on Watson's shoulders. The sooner he is gone the happier I will be.

:yeah

The two years before last season Wat’s offenses were ranked 8th and 12th in the nation. So I guess last season he just forgot how to coach, huh?

I wasn’t happy with our offenses either this past October/November. But based on Watson’s past performances (2007-2008) I don’t think you should throw him under the bus just yet. Or if you are going to throw Wats under the bus, I think he at least deserves for some Cotton to be thrown in there too so he is comfortable.

The two years before last season Wat’s offenses were ranked 8th and 12th in the nation. So I guess last season he just forgot how to coach, huh?

I wasn’t happy with our offenses either this past October/November. But based on Watson’s past performances (2007-2008) I don’t think you should throw him under the bus just yet. Or if you are going to throw Wats under the bus, I think he at least deserves for some Cotton to be thrown in there too so he is comfortable.

Watson doesn't get credit for 2007. Everyone knows that was Callahan's offense. I believe Watson only called plays a few games and the playbook was Callahan's.

Watson gets partial credit for 2008. More credit goes to Joe Ganz than Watson, imho. As much as Ganz audibled it seemed like he was calling more plays than Watson.

I fully agree that Cotton should be joining Watson under the bus. Here's hoping I'm wrong about them. (note: CU fans are quite happy that Watson is at Nebraska . . . if that tells you anything.)

Watson doesn't get credit for 2007. Everyone knows that was Callahan's offense. I believe Watson only called plays a few games and the playbook was Callahan's.

Watson gets partial credit for 2008. More credit goes to Joe Ganz than Watson, imho. As much as Ganz audibled it seemed like he was calling more plays than Watson.

I fully agree that Cotton should be joining Watson under the bus. Here's hoping I'm wrong about them. (note: CU fans are quite happy that Watson is at Nebraska . . . if that tells you anything.)

I know a lot of CU fans who used to be happy that Watson left. That was until the next guy sucked much, much more. Fans always think the grass is greener somewhere else.

Let’s see if I understand this. If the offense sucks in a year when we have a ton of injuries and attrition it’s Watson’s fault. But if the offense is good, then either the QB or HC gets credit for its success instead of the OC. There is something highly suspicious about your logic.

But at least we agree on Cotton. I would love to see Cotton prove all the naysayers (like me) wrong, and field an O-line worthy of being called a Pipeline. Last year we had more of a leaky garden hose than a Pipeline.

Let’s see if I understand this. If the offense sucks in a year when we have a ton of injuries and attrition it’s Watson’s fault. But if the offense is good, then either the QB or HC gets credit for its success instead of the OC. There is something highly suspicious about your logic.

But at least we agree on Cotton. I would love to see Cotton prove all the naysayers (like me) wrong, and field an O-line worthy of being called a Pipeline. Last year we had more of a leaky garden hose than a Pipeline.

Wait a second . . . are you really contending that Watson was running the offensive show in 2007? You are the ONLY person I've ever heard claim that.

I agree there were a ton of injuries on offense last year. However, Zac Lee looked utterly lost at times. I know he was injured . . . but his injury does not account for his lack of mobility, failure to check down, and general bad decisions with the ball. Sorry. That's coaching. Watson talked about how "young" Lee was . . . but he isn't young. He's a senior now with a full year of on field experience. He did not get better as the year went on. Watson gets the blame.

I know a lot of CU fans who used to be happy that Watson left. That was until the next guy sucked much, much more. Fans always think the grass is greener somewhere else.

Go read what they were saying when he was at CU. See if it sounds familiar. The fans and media talked repeatedly of seemingly random play calls, bubble screens in 3rd and long situations, etc. The same things we've seen from Watson for years.

Naturally, Watson fans point to the Arizona game while coaching at Nebraska and the 2001 CU/NU game while Watson was at CU. However, they ignore the history of mediocrity (at best!) that are generally the hallmarks of his offenses.

Wait a second . . . are you really contending that Watson was running the offensive show in 2007? You are the ONLY person I've ever heard claim that.

It sounds like YOU are saying our OC in 2007 didn’t have anything to do with the offense, and doesn’t deserve any credit for their success. That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say THAT. For any team. You should have alerted the AD’s office back in 07. They could have eliminated the position and saved us $300k or so in salary. And I guess we screwed up when we fired Callahan. We could have just replaced Cosgrove with some top notch high salaried AD--you know, using all that extra salary we'd save not needing an OC and all.

I agree there were a ton of injuries on offense last year. However, Zac Lee looked utterly lost at times. I know he was injured . . . but his injury does not account for his lack of mobility, failure to check down, and general bad decisions with the ball. Sorry. That's coaching. Watson talked about how "young" Lee was . . . but he isn't young. He's a senior now with a full year of on field experience. He did not get better as the year went on. Watson gets the blame.

I agree that Zac Lee is not exactly a field general. He's more of a field mouse. But I'm not sure you can hang the QB's lack of composure on the coaching staff. That is what you're saying, right?

No way this is getting decided in the offseason. I guess we’ll find out in about October whether Wats has what it takes.