Shatel: Watson wants to keep foes guessing

Nexus

Wait a second . . . are you really contending that Watson was running the offensive show in 2007? You are the ONLY person I've ever heard claim that.

It sounds like YOU are saying our OC in 2007 didn’t have anything to do with the offense, and doesn’t deserve any credit for their success. That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say THAT. For any team. You should have alerted the AD’s office back in 07. They could have eliminated the position and saved us $300k or so in salary. And I guess we screwed up when we fired Callahan. We could have just replaced Cosgrove with some top notch high salaried AD--you know, using all that extra salary we'd save not needing an OC and all.

I agree there were a ton of injuries on offense last year. However, Zac Lee looked utterly lost at times. I know he was injured . . . but his injury does not account for his lack of mobility, failure to check down, and general bad decisions with the ball. Sorry. That's coaching. Watson talked about how "young" Lee was . . . but he isn't young. He's a senior now with a full year of on field experience. He did not get better as the year went on. Watson gets the blame.

I agree that Zac Lee is not exactly a field general. He's more of a field mouse. But I'm not sure you can hang the QB's lack of composure on the coaching staff. That is what you're saying, right?

No way this is getting decided in the offseason. I guess we’ll find out in about October whether Wats has what it takes.

I would absolutely contend that Bill Callahan, for all of his faults, was much more responsible for our offensive success in 2007 than Watson. Callahan's biggest mistake among many was his loyalty to Kevin Cosgrove, NOT his inability to field an effective offense. Before anyone spins this the wrong way I am ecstatic that Callahan is gone and thrilled that Pelini is our HC.

Here is Watson's offensive legacy: (National rankings of Total Offense from ncaa website)

NU 2009 - 72nd

NU 2008 - 14th

CU 2005 - 61st

CU 2004 - 51st

CU 2003 - 65th

CU 2002 - 58th

CU 2001 - 20th

CU 2000 - 66th

This is the definition of mediocrity.

Add on the fact that Watson's offense is "multiple" almost to the point where we have no identity. In 2009 we came out in the fall wanting to be a run first team operating out of heavy sets. By midseason Watson totally revamped the philosophy and emphasized a spread offense. In 2009 we came out in a spread offense and then reverted to a power run team by mid season. Why???? Why is Watson apparently incapable of assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the offense during spring ball and fall camp? Why does he only realize there is a problem after mid-season losses? I've got more questions . . . but I have a feeling no one here has any answers for them.

carlfense,

Yes, this is what I am on about. Watson only figures out our offense after our first plan fails and fails in a horrid fashion. Take a look at 2008....we did not have an identity until the Texas Tech game. This year's identity was established close to midseason as well. That has to change or Nebraska will suffer many many middle of the road kind of seasons.

Add on the fact that Watson's offense is "multiple" almost to the point where we have no identity. In 2009(I assume you're talking about 08) we came out in the fall wanting to be a run first team operating out of heavy sets. By midseason Watson totally revamped the philosophy and emphasized a spread offense. In 2009 we came out in a spread offense and then reverted to a power run team by mid season. Why???? Why is Watson apparently incapable of assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the offense during spring ball and fall camp? Why does he only realize there is a problem after mid-season losses? I've got more questions . . . but I have a feeling no one here has any answers for them.

Injuries. They had to try to make something work for the players that they had who were healthy.

Here is Watson's offensive legacy: (National rankings of Total Offense from ncaa website)

NU 2009 - 72nd

NU 2008 - 14th

CU 2005 - 61st

CU 2004 - 51st

CU 2003 - 65th

CU 2002 - 58th

CU 2001 - 20th

CU 2000 - 66th

i agree. i am not sure why he is seen as an offensive mastermind. his play calling and identity seem highly variable and suspect. there is reason his raise was the smallest given to any coach on the team.

he must prove himself,for at least several seasons and damn soon too. :hellloooo

I know a lot of CU fans who used to be happy that Watson left. That was until the next guy sucked much, much more. Fans always think the grass is greener somewhere else.

Go read what they were saying when he was at CU. See if it sounds familiar. The fans and media talked repeatedly of seemingly random play calls, bubble screens in 3rd and long situations, etc. The same things we've seen from Watson for years.

Naturally, Watson fans point to the Arizona game while coaching at Nebraska and the 2001 CU/NU game while Watson was at CU. However, they ignore the history of mediocrity (at best!) that are generally the hallmarks of his offenses.

I think you're actually making my point for me. CU fans thought the grass would be greener after Watson - that turned out not to be true. NU fans like yourself think the grass will be greener if Watson is gone. I simply see more grass. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Add on the fact that Watson's offense is "multiple" almost to the point where we have no identity. In 2009(I assume you're talking about 08) we came out in the fall wanting to be a run first team operating out of heavy sets. By midseason Watson totally revamped the philosophy and emphasized a spread offense. In 2009 we came out in a spread offense and then reverted to a power run team by mid season. Why???? Why is Watson apparently incapable of assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the offense during spring ball and fall camp? Why does he only realize there is a problem after mid-season losses? I've got more questions . . . but I have a feeling no one here has any answers for them.

Injuries. They had to try to make something work for the players that they had who were healthy.

I agree somewhat about 2009. What injuries forced the change in 2008?

I know a lot of CU fans who used to be happy that Watson left. That was until the next guy sucked much, much more. Fans always think the grass is greener somewhere else.

Go read what they were saying when he was at CU. See if it sounds familiar. The fans and media talked repeatedly of seemingly random play calls, bubble screens in 3rd and long situations, etc. The same things we've seen from Watson for years.

Naturally, Watson fans point to the Arizona game while coaching at Nebraska and the 2001 CU/NU game while Watson was at CU. However, they ignore the history of mediocrity (at best!) that are generally the hallmarks of his offenses.

I think you're actually making my point for me. CU fans thought the grass would be greener after Watson - that turned out not to be true. NU fans like yourself think the grass will be greener if Watson is gone. I simply see more grass. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

The decline of CU after Barnett is a story for a different thread. I started one about how terrible of a coach Dan Hawkins is a few weeks back in the Other Big 12 teams forum. That has nothing to do with how mediocre Watson's offense is.

Anyways. Don't get the wrong impression . . . I have nothing personally against Watson. He seems like a good guy and I think he genuinely works hard to be a better coach. Personally, I think he is inadequate. Hopefully he proves me wrong and Nebraska's offense is consistently good from here onwards.

Wait a second . . . are you really contending that Watson was running the offensive show in 2007? You are the ONLY person I've ever heard claim that.

It sounds like YOU are saying our OC in 2007 didn’t have anything to do with the offense, and doesn’t deserve any credit for their success. That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say THAT. For any team. You should have alerted the AD’s office back in 07. They could have eliminated the position and saved us $300k or so in salary. And I guess we screwed up when we fired Callahan. We could have just replaced Cosgrove with some top notch high salaried AD--you know, using all that extra salary we'd save not needing an OC and all.

I agree there were a ton of injuries on offense last year. However, Zac Lee looked utterly lost at times. I know he was injured . . . but his injury does not account for his lack of mobility, failure to check down, and general bad decisions with the ball. Sorry. That's coaching. Watson talked about how "young" Lee was . . . but he isn't young. He's a senior now with a full year of on field experience. He did not get better as the year went on. Watson gets the blame.

I agree that Zac Lee is not exactly a field general. He's more of a field mouse. But I'm not sure you can hang the QB's lack of composure on the coaching staff. That is what you're saying, right?

No way this is getting decided in the offseason. I guess we’ll find out in about October whether Wats has what it takes.

I would absolutely contend that Bill Callahan, for all of his faults, was much more responsible for our offensive success in 2007 than Watson. Callahan's biggest mistake among many was his loyalty to Kevin Cosgrove, NOT his inability to field an effective offense. Before anyone spins this the wrong way I am ecstatic that Callahan is gone and thrilled that Pelini is our HC.

NU 2009 - 72nd

NU 2008 - 14th

CU 2005 - 61st

CU 2004 - 51st

CU 2003 - 65th

CU 2002 - 58th

CU 2001 - 20th

CU 2000 - 66th

Add on the fact that Watson's offense is "multiple" almost to the point where we have no identity. In 2009 we came out in the fall wanting to be a run first team operating out of heavy sets. By midseason Watson totally revamped the philosophy and emphasized a spread offense. In 2009 we came out in a spread offense and then reverted to a power run team by mid season. Why???? Why is Watson apparently incapable of assessing the strengths and weaknesses of the offense during spring ball and fall camp? Why does he only realize there is a problem after mid-season losses? I've got more questions . . . but I have a feeling no one here has any answers for them.

This is the definition of mediocrity?

Big 12 Championships while OC at CU: 1

Big 12 North Champion as OC at CU : 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005

Wins over ranked opponents while at CU: #2 Nebraska, #3 Texas, #12 KSU, #13 KSU, #20 UCLA, #24 CSU, #25 TAMU

Outscored Nebraska 199-166 during those years while having a defense whose highest rank was #44 in 2001. Put 39 points up on #1 ranked defense (Texas), and racked up 62 points on #8 ranked defense (Nebraska) in a blowout.

Had Top 10 rushing offenses in 2001 and 2002.

As for Bill Callahan : 1 Big 12 North Championship, and beat 3 teams ranked #20 - #25 in four years. Color me unimpressed.

I guess I'll take mediocrity over Callahan any day.

Why is Watson catching hell for having one bad year, but I didn't hear the same criticism against the Pelinis when Watson's offense was pulling their asses out of the fire in 2008? And don't give me the first year for the defense bullcrap, unless you're going to extend the same courtesy to Watson, because most all the skill positions on offense in 2009 for the exception of RB were all first year starters.

If there's no improvement in 2010, then I'll change my tune. Until then, I'm going to support him and the offense.

• Fire 1

NU 2009 - 72nd

NU 2008 - 14th

CU 2005 - 61st

CU 2004 - 51st

CU 2003 - 65th

CU 2002 - 58th

CU 2001 - 20th

CU 2000 - 66th

This is the definition of mediocrity?

Big 12 Championships while OC at CU: 1

Big 12 North Champion as OC at CU : 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005

Wins over ranked opponents while at CU: #2 Nebraska, #3 Texas, #12 KSU, #13 KSU, #20 UCLA, #24 CSU, #25 TAMU

Outscored Nebraska 199-166 during those years while having a defense whose highest rank was #44 in 2001. Put 39 points up on #1 ranked defense (Texas), and racked up 62 points on #8 ranked defense (Nebraska) in a blowout.

Had Top 10 rushing offenses in 2001 and 2002.

As for Bill Callahan : 1 Big 12 North Championship, and beat 3 teams ranked #20 - #25 in four years. Color me unimpressed.

I guess I'll take mediocrity over Callahan any day.

Why is Watson catching hell for having one bad year, but I didn't hear the same criticism against the Pelinis when Watson's offense was pulling their asses out of the fire in 2008? And don't give me the first year for the defense bullcrap, unless you're going to extend the same courtesy to Watson, because most all the skill positions on offense in 2009 for the exception of RB were all first year starters.

If there's no improvement in 2010, then I'll change my tune. Until then, I'm going to support him and the offense.

Why is Watson catching hell for last year when Pelini didn't in 2008? Maybe because Pelini has shown significant improvement each year from the WORST DEFENSE IN SCHOOL HISTORY. You can't just look at team W/L records when evaluating an offensive coordinator. We had 10 wins last year . . . but it sure as hell wasn't because of our offense. With even an average offense we have 1 loss. If our defense were average last season we would have only 7-8 wins total. I have a feeling people will be changing their tune after a few more years of Watson. Sure hope I am wrong.

I guess pardon me for expecting better than the 75th ranked offense in the country. I don't expect to be the best in the nation . . . but I don't think it is out of line to expect at LEAST average production from a coach making close to $400,000 a year.

Carlfense, I'll take your :boxosoap and raise you :rant .

I'm in total agreement with all that your saying about Watson. I think the one thing hurting him most is the fact that his offense's identity is "multiple." Wats has explained that a "multiple" offense is one that evaluates defenses from one week to the next & hits them where they're weakest based on those evaluations. I understand the concept of saying "this week's opposing defense is weakest vs the pass, so we'll hit them with the spread & west coast playbook" or "next week's defense sucks vs the run, so we'll take it to 'em with the 22 set & wildcat." But, actually carrying out that gameplan with all these different sets with consistent execution is much harder in reality. As we've seen, this approach can backfire so quickly b/c when the gameplan doesn't work, the offense doesn't have a clue what offensive set is its true bread 'n butter, which leaves us scrambling for an identity that isn't there. How can it be if your offensive attack changes every single game? :dunno

Our defense has an identity. It's had one since Bo took the job, and we've seen the obvious benefits of having one true identity. Why then don't we have one identity on offense? The nation's best teams know exactly what their identity is on both sides of the ball. When all else fails, those teams know they can depend on their go-to formations & plays to succeed. That's what our offense needs most, and I hope that's what Bo & Watson are working to produce in the seasons to come.

I guess miracle worker must have been in Watson's contract somewhere. I'd challenge anyone to try to get decent production out of an offense that had injuries to the extent they had, and the number of first year players that were inserted in the lineup. OU is stacked with talent and they couldn't do it either.

I guess miracle worker must have been in Watson's contract somewhere. I'd challenge anyone to try to get decent production out of an offense that had injuries to the extent they had, and the number of first year players that were inserted in the lineup. OU is stacked with talent and they couldn't do it either.

So the injuries excuse works for 2009 . . . what about the other years of below average Watson offenses?

So the injuries excuse works for 2009 . . . what about the other years of below average Watson offenses?

If we exclude his stint with Colorado, then overall he's had 2 good years and 1 bad year as an OC at Nebraska.

2007 - 9th in Total Offense

2008 - 12th in Total Offense

2009 - 99th in Total Offense

Here's his Colorado stint as OC.

2000 - 66th in Total Offense

2001 - 20th in Total Offense

2002 - 58th in Total Offense

2003 - 66th in Total Offense

2004 - 85th in Total Offense

2005 - 87th in Total Offense

Can't really explain why he had such a dismal career at Colorado, but he did turn it around when he came to Nebraska.

If we exclude his stint with Colorado, then overall he's had 2 good years and 1 bad year as an OC at Nebraska.

Can't really explain why he had such a dismal career at Colorado, but he did turn it around when he came to Nebraska.

If you want to attribute 2007 to Watson, do so. To me, he gets 10% credit, at best, for that year. It was Callahan's playbook and Callahan called the plays.

Watson has had one good year at Nebraska and one terrible year. Therefore, his average at Nebraska is mediocre.

At Colorado, Watson had 6 below average years and one above average year. Therefore, his average at Colorado is mediocre.

I fully expect more of the same as long as he is at Nebraska. Maddening inconsistency, a penchant for entirely changing the offense mid-season, and a litany of "inexperienced" and "injured" excuses.

If you want to attribute 2007 to Watson, do so. To me, he gets 10% credit, at best, for that year. It was Callahan's playbook and Callahan called the plays.

Therefore, Watson has had one good year at Nebraska and one terrible year. Therefore, his average at Nebraska is mediocre.

At Colorado, Watson had 6 below average years and one above average year. Therefore, his average at Colorado is mediocre.

I fully expect more of the same as long as he is at Nebraska. Maddening inconsistency, a penchant for entirely changing the offense mid-season, and a litany of "inexperienced" and "injured" excuses.

During his Nebraska stint, he's coached 4 different starting QB's in 3 seasons, so there's bound to be some inconsistencies. However, with that in mind, he and Callahan managed to stay productive even while switching out different QB's late in the '07 season. Furthermore, there wasn't a significant drop-off the following season in '08 when Ganz was the full-time starter and Watson was the full-time play caller. Going from 9th to 12th is plausible.