Place your bets!

GSG

Meme Watch: Oddsmakers latest to cast their lot for 'Bama repeat

By Matt Hinton

Human predictions follow a reliable formula: What's Going To Happen Next ≈ What Just Happened. What just happened in college football? Alabama won the mythical championship, Ohio State won the Rose Bowl and Boise State finished undefeated. What's going to happen next, according to the oddsmakers? Pretty much the exact same thing:

Early Odds to Win 2011 BCS Title (Bodog.com)

• Alabama (7-2)

• Ohio State (13-2)

• Boise State (12-1)

• Oregon (12-1)

• Texas (14-1)

• Nebraska (15-1)

• Southern Cal (15-1)

• Florida (16-1)

• Virginia Tech (17-1)

• Oklahoma (18-1)

• TCU (18-1)

• Iowa (20-1)

It helps, of course, that Alabama returns the Heisman Trophy winner, Ohio State features the most hyped/visible quarterback in the nation going into the season and Boise State returns essentially the entire roster from its second Fiesta Bowl-winning team in four years. Usual powers hit by more attrition (see: USC and Florida, both racked by early departures for the draft and unexpected coaching turmoil) won't be saddled by quite the same expectations. Add another notch to the tidal wave of opinion for a Crimson Tide repeat, already well on its way to cementing itself as the near-unanimous preseason consensus despite overwhelming losses (nine departing starters, including all but one member of the front seven) on defense. All those top-ranked recruiting classes have their benefits.

For the record, Bodog isn't drinking any of the Brian Kelly Kool-Aid on offer in South Bend -- Notre Dame is listed at 70/1 to take home the title, worse than Arkansas (30/1), Oregon State (35/1), Pittsburgh (40/1), Michigan (60/1), North Carolina (60/1) and Washington (65/1) and much worse than the entire field of 67 teams not even worth considering for the list (30/1). I would suggest an extremely competent coach taking over a still-talented roster deserves slightly more credit than that, but I've also vastly overrated the Irish in the preseason each of the last four years based on an allegedly blue-chip depth chart (projecting an ND national championship was not crazy in August 2006, I promise), so what do I know?

Link

I know it's just more hype and doesn't really mean much, but as I see it, the more I see the words "Nebraska Cornhuskers," the better it is for the program. Well, unless it's like the news Oregon has been generating, but you get what I'm saying.

i gotta say, betting on the huskers can only make the season that much longer and more stressful. i wish i could, but it would be too much stress for me to stand.

My personal well being is already invested...what's the difference if we add a little money into the equation? :lol:

true. but it only makes it harder to rationalize a loss, or see the 'silver lining.' but just imagine, after every win, you are that much closer to a huge payout, the pressure mounts as we enter into the big XII championship, we survive and we are actually in the MNC! we lose in the fourth qtr. because of a fumble after a pass to get a first down and secure the win (or any other one of the plethora of heartbreaking loses NU has faced). personally, i just could not deal with the loss and the loss of a huge payout. it is not the initial investment that bothers me, just coming close to winning all that money and having it slip away, along with a huskers' loss (most likely a close loss). i wish the best of luck and will hopefully regret my decision to sit on the sidelines.

btw: this would be the year to gamble on the huskers. favorable odds, and from a practical standpoint, as good of chance as anyone else.

So based on those odds, if I put $1000.00 on the Big Red, and they win it all, how much money do I get? (Not much of a gambler)

or a math guy?

$15,000

If that was the case, then I wouldn't have a job. When I looked for it earlier, I came across this site. There it says a $2 bet on 15-1 odds would pay $32, which would be 16 times, not 15 which didn't make sense to me. (I did that 16 times thing all by myself!)

So based on those odds, if I put $1000.00 on the Big Red, and they win it all, how much money do I get? (Not much of a gambler)

or a math guy?

$15,000

If that was the case, then I wouldn't have a job. When I looked for it earlier, I came across this site. There it says a $2 bet on 15-1 odds would pay $32, which would be 16 times, not 15 which didn't make sense to me. (I did that 16 times thing all by myself!)

sorry I didn't mean for it to sound critical. fyi though you receive $32 on a $2 bet because the $2 counts as the bookie returning your $2 that you bet with. you are still only making a $30 profit. so if you placed $1000 on Nebraska winning the title and say they do (cross your fingers!) you would receive $16,000 which makes your profit $15,000

also out of curiosity, what is your job?

betusa.com (the one I have used before to place wagers) has NU at 12-1 odds which is tied with Boise State for the 4th best odds. You can check it out here.

http://www.betusa.com/odds/2010_bcs_championship_592.html

2011 BCS National Championship - Odds To Win01/10/11 8:00 PM

Name Odds

Alabama 7-2

Ohio St 7-1

Oregon 10-1

Boise St 12-1

Nebraska 12-1

TCU 15-1

Texas 15-1

Virginia Tech 15-1

Florida 20-1

Iowa 20-1

USC 20-1

LSU 25-1

Oklahoma 25-1

Arkansas 30-1

Georgia 30-1

Miami FL 30-1

Pittsburgh 30-1

Georgia Tech 40-1

Oregon St 40-1

Wisconsin 40-1

I'm not sure yet if I'll be doing any betting, but its pretty cool to see Nebraska getting the respect they are getting. Preseason polls, odds, Suh last year, Big 12 Championship (even with the loss), Holiday Bowl, etc... All helps with recruits for the future and how NU is viewed. I'm excited about how everything is turning out! Trying to keep expectations of what I see as reaslistic, but it's been a long time since I've had this sort of feeling prior to a season. One thing is for sure... Bo's got us headed back in the right direction.