What happens had we won those 3 close games last season?

theneguy95

First off I am over (mostly lol) our losses from last year, but it's the offseason so I'm interested in discussion of what might have been and what it would mean for last year and for this next season...

If Nebraska had won those 3 games that they lost by a combined 4 points...

Where would NU have ended up in the polls? Who would NU have played in the Fiesta Bowl? Would NU have jumped the other undefeated teams to get into the National Championship? Where would NU be sitting going into next season? How much better would the country's opinion of Nebraska football be different from where it is today?

I think NU would have lost some of the underdog persona that I think we will still see, in big games, next season. People are starting to believe that Nebraska is back, but they might also beleive NU can't win the big game or have the consistency to win week in and week out. I'm very excited for this next season. Pretty week schedule, defense should still be top 10, and offense has no where to go, but up.

Last year, if NU had won at #13VaTech (lost 16-15), vs Iowa St. (lost 9-7), and #3UT (lost 13-12) I think NU would have been sitting to play in the Fiesta Bowl after ruining the BCS system. If NU would have won that game vs their opponent (not sure what team would have been there) I think the final polls end up 1. Bama 2. NU 3. Florida or swap NU and Florida for 2 and 3.

In a sense I'm glad, in a way, that NU will not have the pressure that they might have had if things had turned out that way. I think NU would be preseason top 4 if those 3 losses had been wins, especially how it looks as though they will be right around preseason top 10. It seems like NU has gained more respect the last 2 seasons than the previous era. This will help NU in recruiting and we will hopefully get to see more nationally televised games which is great for us!!!

What do you all think?

GBR!!!

I think if we had won just 2 of those 3 heartbreakers we would've at least gotten to a BCS bowl game. Among the teams that played in the BCS bowls, I think we would've beaten the following: Iowa, Georgia Tech, Cinci, Boise St, Oregon & Texas. You'll notice that's 6 of the 10 - the other 4 (Bama, Florida, TCU & Ohio St) would've had the upperhand based on how our offense stacked up against their defenses.

I think if we had won just 2 of those 3 heartbreakers we would've at least gotten to a BCS bowl game. Among the teams that played in the BCS bowls, I think we would've beaten the following: Iowa, Georgia Tech, Cinci, Boise St, Oregon & Texas. You'll notice that's 6 of the 10 - the other 4 (Bama, Florida, TCU & Ohio St) would've had the upperhand based on how our offense stacked up against their defenses.

More I think about it, if we'd have won all three games, i'm not so sure we'd have gotten some NC game consideration...

More I think about it, if we'd have won all three games, i'm not so sure we'd have gotten some NC game consideration...

That's what I was wondering. Even though we got beat pretty bad against TTech it might have been far enough in the season's past that we might had a chance at the NC game. But then I wondered if it would have been the year that Boise or TCU; maybe Cinci gets in... I'm not sure but fun to ponder! So we may have been just 4 points away from possibly being in the NC game? That's a crazy thought! Gets me even more anxious for the season to start and even more pumped on :koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

That's what I was wondering. Even though we got beat pretty bad against TTech it might have been far enough in the season's past that we might had a chance at the NC game. But then I wondered if it would have been the year that Boise or TCU; maybe Cinci gets in... I'm not sure but fun to ponder! So we may have been just 4 points away from possibly being in the NC game? That's a crazy thought! Gets me even more anxious for the season to start and even more pumped on :koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

I dont think we would have been in the NC, I really think that the voters would have voted for Florida to play Bama for an SEC CG rematch. They wouldnt want an non-BCS school and lets face it, Cinci isnt much bigger than Boise and TCU. I think if we would have won those three games, we would have been third, ahead of Cinci, Boise, and TCU, but the lost to TTech would hurt us. Thus, there would have been an SEC CG rematch and the possible end of the BCS.

That's what I was wondering. Even though we got beat pretty bad against TTech it might have been far enough in the season's past that we might had a chance at the NC game. But then I wondered if it would have been the year that Boise or TCU; maybe Cinci gets in... I'm not sure but fun to ponder! So we may have been just 4 points away from possibly being in the NC game? That's a crazy thought! Gets me even more anxious for the season to start and even more pumped on :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

I dont think we would have been in the NC, I really think that the voters would have voted for Florida to play Bama for an SEC CG rematch. They wouldnt want an non-BCS school and lets face it, Cinci isnt much bigger than Boise and TCU. I think if we would have won those three games, we would have been third, ahead of Cinci, Boise, and TCU, but the lost to TTech would hurt us. Thus, there would have been an SEC CG rematch and the possible end of the BCS.

I would have loved to have seen the BCS forced to pick from Cinci, Boise, or TCU to be in the NC Game. To have a game that would have been so lopsided in Alabama's favor finally putting the nails in the coffin for the BCS would have been a dream come true. The ratings disaster alone would have put a smile on many faces.

That's what I was wondering. Even though we got beat pretty bad against TTech it might have been far enough in the season's past that we might had a chance at the NC game. But then I wondered if it would have been the year that Boise or TCU; maybe Cinci gets in... I'm not sure but fun to ponder! So we may have been just 4 points away from possibly being in the NC game? That's a crazy thought! Gets me even more anxious for the season to start and even more pumped on :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

I would have loved to have seen the BCS forced to pick from Cinci, Boise, or TCU to be in the NC Game. To have a game that would have been so lopsided in Alabama's favor finally putting the nails in the coffin for the BCS would have been a dream come true. The ratings disaster alone would have put a smile on many faces.

Cincy in that scenario wouldn't change anything since they're already in a BCS conference.

Cincy in that scenario wouldn't change anything since they're already in a BCS conference.

I know, but you get the gist. Every time a scenario pops up that could embarrass the BCS, somehow they always slither out of of harms way.