CU Fan Support

The following is from rojo on another site:

CU attendance.... 6,500 unsold tickets for opener against CSU.

At ~50,000 capacity Folsom Field is an average-sized stadium by Big 12 standards.

--If Texas, Oklahoma or Nebraska aren't in town, they can't fill the stadium.

--Three years ago, CU built 29 skybox luxury suites and 1,900 club-seats with alcohol access. Neither have ever been sold out.

--Last year CU had the distinction of having the two most poorly attended games in the Big 12.

As CSU and CU students return, surely those 6,500 unsold tickets will go.

Some in Boulder think that Colorado should leave the Big 12 to join the Pac-10 and embrace a "culture" that is more compatible with CU.

Elsewhere others think CU should just leave. They are an embarrassment on several different levels.

CU's getting the talk this year in the Big 12-North. We'll see about the wins... and the empty seats.

http://bouldernews.net/bdc/blogs/blog.cfm/790

Last edited by rojo on 08-22-2005 at 03:35 PM

PS I have heard, first hand, of many ugly incidents to the Huskers fans atternding games in Boulder. Why the mean spirit if they can't even fill the stadium? Roy

everytime the subject of CU's power scheduling or their lack of attendence comes up (the two are VERY much related)- i'm always reminded of this quote from Barney:

"It's the philosophy of your program. Each school has a different set of situations. Nebraska, for example, can schedule Boulder High School and it's going to sell out. That's the beauty of Nebraska, it doesn't make a difference, those fans are going to go there and watch the game. That's not true of every place; that's not true here. We want our players playing in front of as many people as we can get in the stands. If it means we have to schedule Notre Dame, Washington State and UCLA, then that's who we'll schedule. If we schedule Boulder High School, we wouldn't have anybody show up.

What NU has with fans selling out every game IS special, and he's right, not every school has that luxery. But while NU may be above average in that respect, CU is undoubtably well below what should be expected from a program at that level.

-Only a 50k stadium?

-North Division title the previous year

-At least decent expectations this year

and on top of that, the CSU game is a rivalry- and yet they still have 6,500 seats left?!

there is no excuse for the lack of attendence IMO. oh wait, i guess there is one. an unfortunately large bulk of their fanbase/students aren't worth $4it for fan support apparently.

everytime the subject of CU's power scheduling or their lack of attendence comes up (the two are VERY much related)- i'm always reminded of this quote from Barney:

"It's the philosophy of your program. Each school has a different set of situations. Nebraska, for example, can schedule Boulder High School and it's going to sell out. That's the beauty of Nebraska, it doesn't make a difference, those fans are going to go there and watch the game. That's not true of every place; that's not true here. We want our players playing in front of as many people as we can get in the stands. If it means we have to schedule Notre Dame, Washington State and UCLA, then that's who we'll schedule. If we schedule Boulder High School, we wouldn't have anybody show up.

What NU has with fans selling out every game IS special, and he's right, not every school has that luxery. But while NU may be above average in that respect, CU is undoubtably well below what should be expected from a program at that level.

-Only a 50k stadium?

-North Division title the previous year

-At least decent expectations this year

and on top of that, the CSU game is a rivalry- and yet they still have 6,500 seats left?!

there is no excuse for the lack of attendence IMO. oh wait, i guess there is one. an unfortunately large bulk of their fanbase/students aren't worth $4it for fan support apparently.

Acctualy, a big reason why the seats are selling so poorly for the CSU game is because the game isn't going to be at Invesco. I know a lot of people who don't want to go to tthe game because being a CSU fan in Folsom means getting your a** kicked whether you win or loose.

Big Jake - So your telling me come turkey day no NU fans will show up cause they think their asses will get beat. I will try and make it and if one of those hippies touches me i am gonna make them drink their bong juice :horns2

Never been to Boulder, is it really a bad place? Do they throw urine on the opposing fans/team? What goes on I am curious now...

Big Jake - So your telling me come turkey day no NU fans will show up cause they think their asses will get beat. I will try and make it and if one of those hippies touches me i am gonna make them drink their bong juice :horns2

Never been to Boulder, is it really a bad place? Do they throw urine on the opposing fans/team? What goes on I am curious now...

I've never had a problem either, and I think it's because there's usually as much red and white there as there is black and yellow.

It's a whole lot different for the Nebraska game. They're like little scared puppies come game day then, but the CU-CSU game os different. Any CSU fan is going to have a much better time watching the game from a bar anywhere but Boulder.

Not to mention Boulder isn't really a place most people in Colorado want to visit anyway. That town just plain blows.

They took their beer away a few years ago so its not as bad these days. but their still annoying. at least per my experience. you can tolerate "Lawrence Phillips was only suspended for one game", "62-36!!!", and "Huskers Suck!" only so many times.

So CSU fans won't show up in Boulder? that's one game. that excuse may apply to CSU fans(?)- but it doesn't give CU fans an excuse for not showing up for the rest of the season except for a couple select games.

They had to go Door-to-door selling season tix for god sake! :blink:

the excuse they usually give, and its my personal favorite, is the "we have other teams to support in Colorado" excuse. You know that one? the one that says CU has to compete with the Denver pro teams for fans? If its a butts-in-the-seats competition then you would assume then that the Denver teams compete with eachother as well.

Amazing then, that the Broncos and Avalanche still manage to sell out every game. and throw in the Noogets too. CU just coincidentally happens to be the one left out in the cold for the local sportsfan race.

They took their beer away a few years ago so its not as bad these days. but their still annoying. at least per my experience. you can tolerate "Lawrence Phillips was only suspended for one game", "62-36!!!", and "Huskers Suck!" only so many times.

So CSU fans won't show up in Boulder? that's one game. that excuse may apply to CSU fans(?)- but it doesn't give CU fans an excuse for not showing up for the rest of the season except for a couple select games.

They had to go Door-to-door selling season tix for god sake! :blink:

the excuse they usually give, and its my personal favorite, is the "we have other teams to support in Colorado" excuse. You know that one? the one that says CU has to compete with the Denver pro teams for fans? If its a butts-in-the-seats competition then you would assume then that the Denver teams compete with eachother as well.

Amazing then, that the Broncos and Avalanche still manage to sell out every game. and throw in the Noogets too. CU just coincidentally happens to be the one left out in the cold for the local sportsfan race.

I'm just here to defend the Coloradans who are CSU fans. CU has just plain bad fans. I'm not sure why. Like you said, every other team in the state (except the Rockies, but who can blame them) has utterly fantastic fan support.

I prefer defending Coloradoans who are Broncos/Avs/Nuggets/CSU/etc/etc fans.

I have seen many instances, mostly on message boards, where my fellow Husker fans will confuse the everyday "Colorado sports fan" or Coloradoans in general with the CU ilk.

You need to know that the media plays a large role in the hate Nebraska bit and supports the Buffs overwhelmingly in comparison to CSU

would it be fair to say the ultra hatred of Nebraska somewhat began with Bill McCartney and was then picked up by the media and CU fans?

As for CSU, "overwhelmingly" would be one way to put it. Watching the CU vs CSU hype this week, its almost like CSU is nothing more than CU's little early season rival. Like parents saying "This is our son! (cu)... oh, and this is his little brother, we didn't really intend on having two kids (csu)".

It really is amazing what a completely different breed of fan CSU folks are compared to CU.

Most CSU fans i know actually love Nebraska. For one thing, we all tend to have a mutual disgust of CU.

I agree w/HuskerGJ except on one point. Bill McCartney did,in fact, establish the Red Letter day for NU to get his team turned around from the abyss. But he never was derogatory or mean spirited. You're right that the media picked that up, but it had been going on for years before. The Joe Williams' and Woody Paige's hate speech remarks in columns and on talk shows went beyond the pale of sportsmanship. Bill McCartney told me, while he was head coach, that he and Tom Osborne were friends and that the fans got carried away with the competitive spirit of the game. Go CSU!