1995 team the most dominant EVER

now someone else finally said it, the run based/option game would still be effective with the right personel. :thumbs get so tired of hearing about that style not being able to work anymore. 94' and 95' forever cemented in my mind that power football can dominate all with ball control, and just plain out whoopin ass on the line of scrimmage. thing that always got me about the florida game was that florida was favored, if im thinkin right? seems like espn and those type shows said the huskers would be to slow compete. its been almost 10 years now so my memory could be way off.

They were  the best, no doubt.  Just makes me miss the option even more.

The option isn't what made them great. If that were true, every team in the nation would run it.

more teams should run it imo. Passing=turnovers.

Let's see...Benard's opinion verses every D1 coach in the country. Hmmm..tough one, but I have to go with every D1 coach in the country. :blink:

now someone else finally said it, the run based/option game would still be effective with the right personel. :thumbs get so tired of hearing about that style not being able to work anymore. 94' and 95' forever cemented in my mind that power football can dominate all with ball control, and just plain out whoopin ass on the line of scrimmage. thing that always got me about the florida game was that florida was favored, if im thinkin right? seems like espn and those type shows said the huskers would be to slow compete. its been almost 10 years now so my memory could be way off.

The problem with that right personel is how hard it is to find. You can't just stick a running back behind center and expect to have a good option. It's so much easier to recruit good players for a West Coast offense that it's not even funny. If you want to eventually get to the NFL, which one are you going to want to be in?

The operative phrase being "...the right personnel". That's the trouble - it's tough to recruit top-notch talent that fits the option. Offensive linemen want to learn to pass-block. Receivers want to have more than a couple of passes a game. Quarterbacks want to pass.

You're right - with the right personnel the option can work. But getting the right personnel is an uphill climb with the option as your attack. I loved the option, and someday it will re-emerge - offenses are cyclical. But right now isn't the time.

Lets not forget it was Uncle Tom's Offense that dominated the option can work but finding a coach to run it is more of a problem. Nebraska didn't need those top talent recruits they needed willing minds to mold and it works but it actually takes more time to develop than a WCO. Uncle Tom's only come around so often. Frank didnt have the skills to keep it rolling. Now we must live in the present and accept that the option is dormint for now at NU.

sorry kinda got rambling, ive been in major debates about that on here, and your both right, cant get the talent to come play plow the other fat guy, plus it seems like the lineman didnt have good longevity in the NFL, dont know if that was the weight training or technique or what, but seemed like they all got broke pretty quick. skilled players on offense seem kinda hit an miss out of that system too, some adjust and some of them floped.

It's always just fun to watch that 95 team play. They were remarkable. Nameless had a post a while back about the "Reflection of Perfection" video which chronicled the game against Florida, and it is a must-watch for all Husker fans. A good 45 minutes of goosebumps to re-live those moments.

Honestly, it doesn't matter the offense, the defense, the special teams, the players, etc....It matters that it's the Huskers, they dominated, they were the best EVER and probably will always be considered that until we're all gone from this earth. I can't imagine a team ever being put together like that again.

Any offense could work with the right personnel. but as stated earlier no pro team runs an option offense and thats what all these kids want is to go to the pros to make MONEY.

face it (hint hint) that when Dr. Tom retired, the option retired with him. yes urban meyer runs the "SPREAD" option and all that business but yippee a lot of teams still use the option but not even in the same UNIVERSE as we used to.

In the FSU board somebody said that the miami defense stopped the option. True. Could have they stopped the 94 or 95 team's option? Hell no. Could anybody? HELL NO! But what about 96? yes and so on after that all the way till 2004 when we switched to the WCO. Today's perimeter defense is extraordinary ( except the dump-off screen pass to the running back is still unbelievably effective). Nowadays you watch a highlight and the big runs today are rushing inside.

Hell I dont care what system we use as long as we get top talent in to use that system and get back to the BIG XII Championship and potentially a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! But in order to get top talent we need a system that top talent will play in (not the power-I option offense).

Even if Callahan doesnt succeed here at NEBRASKA, we still wont go back to the Option. Not for a long time. One day the option might become effective again (what has happened before will happen again) and then we will utilize it. Nebraska needs to be a trend-setter, not a follower, and we fell into that groove when frank took over.

IMO the option lacked the quick strike that many of today's offenses have. It was proven when NU would get down by more than a touchdown or two and were unable to come back. Yes, I know that we had some big runs during the option time and some big passes, but it took time to tire the defense and put them to sleep and then, BOOM a big run would happen. The WCO gives us the option to get down field in a hurry with one or two big pass plays.

In a championship game, who would win? Frazier and NU or USC and Matt Lienart? In my opinion, I think NU wouldve steamrolled the current USC team. In 94 and 95, the huskers were just so physical with that option and a shutdown defense. The 95 huskers imo are the best team ever, imo.

Who they hell would want that??? Physical dominance and the option suck, they arent good for anything. :sarcasm

I just remember watching 95 games on film, seeing a 7 or 8 yard run and going, man, that was a bad play, because the lineman had moved the line of scrimmage so far back that I though it was a 1 or 2 yard run. By far, that was the best team of all time.

No doubt, I couldnt agree with you more :thumbs

I have a tape of a UCLA game in Lincoln (I think 94??) where it seemed like every single run was for 7-13 yards, with the occasional big hitter mixed it. It was awesome!