Hauptman Starting

LINCOLN — Nebraska junior Casey Hauptman developed a new pitch early in this new baseball season.

It helped land Hauptman a new role, starting Saturday as he leads off the weekend pitching rotation at 12:05 p.m. for NU against Houston Baptist at Haymarket Park.

The right-hander from Millard South refined a two-seam fastball, using it to rank as the most consistent Husker on the mound through three weeks. A hard-luck loser in both of his decisions, Hauptman owns a 1.69 earned-run average in a team-high 16 innings over four relief appearances.

Advertising

Houston Baptist at Nebraska

• Where: Haymarket Park, Lincoln

• When: Saturday at 12:05 p.m. (doubleheader)

• Pitching Saturday: NU, junior RH Casey Hauptman (0-2, 1.69 ERA) and junior RH Michael Mariot (0-2, 7.31); Houston Baptist, sophomore RH Dalton Schafer (1-1, 5.00) and junior LH Jamie Storey (1-1, 4.50)

He’s allowed just one extra-base hit, and has struck out 13 while issuing one walk.

“He’s been good every time out,” pitching coach Eric Newman said.

Rest of article is here

Mariot pitched circles around him today ;p Of course it's just Houston Baptist. Oh well, after losing to a god-awful Cal-Bakersfield team last season, I'll take any wins we can get :corndance

This team would run circles around last years, thankfully. And Mariot did pitch really, really well. I don't know who all was there but I was surprised at how he threw. He kept the ball down a TON more than last year (and from the sounds of the radio calls, this year too) and produced a lot more ground ball outs. After the 1st batter he walked i was thinkin oh sh#t here we go again :facepalm: but then he got the double play ball which was huge. Other than that, the guy that singled to right field had a nicely hit ball, but after 2 sac bunts Bubak bobbled then recoverd from short to throw the guy out at 1st. If he keeps his balls down like he did today, I think he'll be fine in the rotation. He certainly deserves it after a day like today. Throwing a 1-hitter against anyone is good, even if it is a bad team.

And again today, like Tuesday, we were hitting the ball hard. I know the wind was blowing strong to right, but the 4 home runs I think were gone no matter what. The only question IMO would be Bailey's, who cleared the fence into the parking lot, but that was the only one that even got up into the wind. DJ's was a rocket off his bat as well as Christensen's.. Asche's was a line shot that woulda easily cleared Bailey's had it gotten up into the wind. Khiry also hit a rocket to left field that their left fielder caught up against the wall, woulda been gone had the wind not kept it down.

Now time for Lemke to get the sweep.