ESPN: Weak and Strong on Nebraska

Fuzzy

I wish ESPN would have kept Tim Griffin, he certainly knew his stuff. But I agree on RB being strong, but safety isnt the weakest at this point. With PJ Smith, Corey Cooper, Cassidy, Thenarse I think safety will be fine. bones.2.gif

Based on returning starters, we have 100% of our CB's, 66% of our LB's, 50% of the D-Line, 0% of our safeties. Our returning safeties had 15 tackles a piece last year, a majority on special teams. I would agree on paper, our safeties are the weak link of experience, but due to talent, as mentioned at the end of the section, they could become a strength. Even last year after the VT game safety play was pointed out constantly as the D's weakness, but by the end of the year they were solid

• Fire 1

I wish ESPN would have kept Tim Griffin, he certainly knew his stuff. But I agree on RB being strong, but safety isnt the weakest at this point. With PJ Smith, Corey Cooper, Cassidy, Thenarse I think safety will be fine. bones.2.gif

Based on returning starters, we have 100% of our CB's, 66% of our LB's, 50% of the D-Line, 0% of our safeties. Our returning safeties had 15 tackles a piece last year, a majority on special teams. I would agree on paper, our safeties are the weak link of experience, but due to talent, as mentioned at the end of the section, they could become a strength. Even last year after the VT game safety play was pointed out constantly as the D's weakness, but by the end of the year they were solid

good point sir. :thumbs

What about Hagg? He may be the most talented guy we got coming back this year. And he can play both safety spots.

The safety spots are not our weakest positions. LBs are.

I agree, but the coaches have said that Hagg is just too valuable at nickel to move.

On a side note, putting Corey Cooper in next to P.J. Smith might be the best scenario. The way I see it, Cooper's going to be a star one day. With the extreme amount of talent and experience and we'll have at corner, nickel, and dime, pressure on the safeties will be minimal. Maybe Cooper gets a year of experience this year when expectations are low, and he'd be able to develop. Then a few years down the road, him and P.J. could be beastly. Thoughts?

What about Hagg? He may be the most talented guy we got coming back this year. And he can play both safety spots.

I agree, but the coaches have said that Hagg is just too valuable at nickel to move.

On a side note, putting Corey Cooper in next to P.J. Smith might be the best scenario. The way I see it, Cooper's going to be a star one day. With the extreme amount of talent and experience and we'll have at corner, nickel, and dime, pressure on the safeties will be minimal. Maybe Cooper gets a year of experience this year when expectations are low, and he'd be able to develop. Then a few years down the road, him and P.J. could be beastly. Thoughts?

I would like to see Corey Cooper get on the field and contribute, even if its on special teams. But I also would like to see him redshirt to be able to get a grasp of the defense mentally. PJ Smith will be a beast, and for years to come the Smith Cooper duo will strike fear into recievers across the Big 12. :koolaid2:

I agree with David here, on paper.

Personally, the one spot I want to see a lot of improvement is the linebacking corp. Last year, that was arguably the weakest spot (consistently) on the entire defense. The good news is that these safeties won't really be tested till the Washington game.

I would like to see Corey Cooper get on the field and contribute, even if its on special teams. But I also would like to see him redshirt to be able to get a grasp of the defense mentally. PJ Smith will be a beast, and for years to come the Smith Cooper duo will strike fear into recievers across the Big 12. :koolaid2:

I agree Cory Cooper will be a star. Someday. I doubt he'll be ready this year though, as a true frosh. I’d say we would be better off moving one of our corners to safety. Like Gomes or West to FS. I think either would work out fine.

Personally, the one spot I want to see a lot of improvement is the linebacking corp. Last year, that was arguably the weakest spot (consistently) on the entire defense.

Exactly. How can this author think NU is weaker at safety than LB? Linebacker was by far our weakest point last year. By far. And we graduated our sole bright spot, Dillard. Unless Fisher brings some game this year we might be boned at LB. I’m still up in the air with Compton—-don’t know whether he’s a player or not. Eric Martin might just step in and be the man. Might have to.

My opinion is that the weakest spot on the team is QB. Last spring we knew the QB spot would come down to Zac Lee and LT Washington. This spring, it seems there is a much more wide open race for the starting QB. Zac Lee won't be participating in spring ball until the end. They won't risk playing him in the Spring Game. So we are probably going to see Green, Washington, Martinez and Spano take the field on April 17.

Offensively, I'm a bit concerned at WR. I mean yeah we got Paul and Kinnie, but who else is going to step up? We have a nice looking prospect in Enunwa, but what guy is going to be a solid and consistent third option this year? Gilly? Bell? Who is going to be the threat on the short routes and in the slot?

I think safety is absolutely a weak point. We just lost O'Hanlon and Asante. O'Hanlon had developed into a fierce playmaker. Asante always had all the talent and the tools, but didn't really turn it on until this year. We say their understudies have talent, which is true, but so did Asante when he was struggling. So did Florida CB Joe Haden when he was in his first year struggling.

So we do have guys like PJ and Courtney back there, but it's going to be a learning process and very likely a big step down from the field general status our two graduating seniors obtained over the years.

I didn't know about Cassidy seriously being in that equation either.

As far as strong goes, hard to make an argument for any group other than CB or RB. I think CB is head and shoulders above RB at this point.

Another weakness is QB. We got Zac Lee, an able player who hasn't yet lived up to his talent on the field, and then what else behind that? If Lee stays down, things could turn real ugly. Green is just a true sophomore, after all.

Dijon Washington is supposed to be really good and so too is Andrew Green. We have ample, albeit inexperienced people to plug in. Safety will be no problem by seasons end.

• Fire 1