Mike McNeil to Try Out Wide Receiver

Player A: 6'4", 240 lbs

Player B: 6'4", 215 lbs

The obvious difference here is weight (25 lbs). Both A & B are big targets who run solid routes & have great hands in traffic. Both are solid blockers & have a knack for making big plays when they're needed most (possession receptions & TDs). Both have eerily similar speed & agility, with a slight advantage to Player A when it comes to breaking tackles & making tacklers miss.

Player A: Mike McNeil

Player B: Todd Peterson

I'd say a comparison to Todd Peterson is the most relevant comparison we should make for McNeil the WR, not a Dallas Clark to MM comparison. We've already seen what a TP can accomplish in Watson's offense. So, who's to say the same cannot be accomplished with MM?

I think you're right on, ESPY. If we have other, solid contributors waiting in the wings at TE, I see moving McNeill to WR as a big positive.

Of course, that's predicated on getting him the ball, which is predicated on a healthy (and competent) QB and a healthy O Line. The problem is, we could move him there and still not get a lot more out of our passing game. Those two facets have to improve before the passing game improves.

I like how Mike is taking on the role of a slot WR. He doesn't feel like there is much of a difference between his role last year and the role going into 2010. It seems as if the move will be to provide more mismatches with him blocking smaller guys or drawer LB's more on him.

One thing I am noticing is that 3 TE's have indicated moving to a different position. Mike McNeill and Kyler Reed to WR and Ryan Hill is moving to FB.

I have to say this move is one of the things I am most excited to hear. McNeil was under used last year. The one guy on the team if you get the ball close to him you know he will bring it in. Yes he isn't the typical Receiver build but since when has that mattered to the huskers. Perhaps it is not going to take until half way through the season to determine the best way to use people this year.

Maybe the coaches see a lack of talent at the WR department. If we had good depth at WR, do you still see this happening?

Probably not. I think one thing that was painfully obvious from last year is that we had no solid Todd Peterson like guy to go in the slot. McNeil touched on the fact that when he was getting brought into the game, he'd usually come in to run block or in a situation where he more than likely would not get the ball. His best game of the season was the ASU game. After that, he wasn't given the ball much.

I think this has more do to with McNeil than anything, though. Back in the old days, a TE complaining about not getting the ball enough would probably get slapped upside the head. He was recruited to be a versatile, route-running, ball-catching tight end. He realized after last year that he wasn't getting the ball or that he wasn't getting the ball in situations where he could make big plays. He just wants to contribute and position himself better for the NFL, I'm sure.

I just wonder who was the one who decided it was time to finally try to get McNeil the ball. This is great news. I also wish they would have did this last year. (Looking at you Shawn Watson...)

absolutely spot on, Wats has always been a dollar late and a day short IMO. facepalm.gif

We didn't try in 2008?

McNeil was seriously injured and played through it for a lot of 2009. And, we had no legit WR playmaking threats for most of the year, allowing teams to take away the TE without worrying as much on the outside. Not to mention we had less able QBs...but yet, people still want to see QBs that will just be fast and run with the ball, which would entail even less getting the ball to our TEs and WRs. It doesn't make sense to me.

McNeil had 28 receptions to Paul's 40. And he had 32 in his breakout 2008 campaign. Though his 2009 campaign had less TDs and much less yardage, it was no less short of incredibly clutch catches on 3rd down and TDs (Mizzou) that really were really game-defining.

McNeil was seriously injured? What was his serious injury????

Regardless McNeill should have been our go to guy last year after what he showed in 2008. (that he is one of our best receivers) Besides Kansas and his one catch against Missouri that happened to be a huge TD his stats in some of our bigger games speak volumes.

Florida Atlantic: Started 13th career game, tying for team lead with four catches... posted 51 yards, including long of 29 yards.

Arkansas State: Posted second straight four-catch performance for 57 yards... caught first two TDs of season on 13- and 32-yard tosses from Zac Lee... first multi-TD game of career.

Virginia Tech (L): Recorded just one catch for four yards.

Louisiana-Lafayette: Posted two receptions on the night.

Missouri: Only catch of the game was an eight-yard TD reception.

Texas Tech (L): Posted two catches for 14 yards.

Iowa State (L): Had two catches for 22 yards.

Baylor: Did not have a catch, snapping streak of 17 straight games with a reception.

Oklahoma: Recorded one catch for two yards.

Kansas: Had four catches.

Kansas State: Had three catches for 26 yards.

Colorado: Posted one catch for three yards.

Texas (L): Played. Did not have a catch.

If he did have an injury then I will definitely agree, that would have a huge impact obviously on his touches. It just seems to me like when we needed him the most he was sort of a forgotten man.