Kirwan Explosiveness Index (KEI) breaks down Suh vs. McCoy performance numbers

Nexus

All these analysts comparing McCoy to Suh doesn't make any actual sense. It has to be simply for something to talk about because Suh's stats are considerably better than McCoy's. McCoy ran a slightly faster 40 at the combine, but he had a worse average between the two times he ran than Suh. So really the only thing McCoy beat Suh at was the Broad Jump at the combine. Suh's stats for just the 2009 season are better than McCoy's career stats. Throw in Suh's other seasons and it's not even close! These analysts are just looking for something to talk about or they are all morons... Course it could be both! :facepalm:

AND COMPARE THE HARDWARE!!! :bonez

You know, this seems obvious to me...I'm not sure I understand why there is a debate about between Suh and McCoy when you compare stats, awards, etc. It's either because 1) sports writers want to stir up some debate and get page views or 2) scouts genuinely believe that while Suh was a better college player, McCoy will be a better NFL player. If it's the latter, what is it about McCoy that makes him the better NFL prospect?

(I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard any good reasons why McCoy is a better than Suh)

In a nutshell, Kirwan looks for a score of 70 when combining the results of a player’s vertical jump, broad jump and bench press.

linky

I think that a lot of the information from "official" team reps is in the form of disinformation - If we say we are interested in Suh, others will try to get him before us, so lets say we want someone kinda worthless to us, like Bradford. Even the #1 pick doesn't want to look too strong to keep the contract down.

Coach Schwartz from the Lions brought up an excellent point here and this has been my thought all along since this whole debate kicked off.

The Lions would ask Suh or McCoy to play the run on the way to the quarterback, and the trick is to project how well they would do that.

"You pick up amateur scouts' reports on Suh and McCoy, they say, 'Hey, if you want a penetrator, you go McCoy. If you want a stout guy, you go with Suh,' "

Schwartz said. "It's like, 'Well, is that what they are or what they're asked to do?' There's a difference there. …

"You look for different characteristics and I think that both of those guys fit what we're looking for and I think both of them would do well in what we would ask them to do."

LINK

It really comes down to offseason blabber. That is the only way anyone could argue about this. Even IF and that's a big if McCoy has the first step on Suh what will he do with that first step. Suh has proven time and time again that even if he could get into the O-line sometimes it is the best to hold back and play the wait game. Look at how many batted passes he is responsible for. The guy isn't special b/c he the biggest or the fastest. He IS the best b/c of his head and dedication to be the best. I think the only thing that would stop him from getting #1 is the same thing that stopped him from getting the Heisman. They may be afraid to put the big pay check in the hands of a lineman instead of a skill player.