It ain't ALL about talent

I don't think you have to have the best talent to win. Look at the NC teams of NU in the 90's. Probably didn't recruit the top talent according to the so called experts but had classes that stayed in tact and worked hard together. Filled a couple of key positions with talented players, but had many walk-ons or former walk-ons contribute greatly. I think determination and hard work is better that the most talented, showboatin, all about me "top talent".

recruiting, leadership, coaching, wanting more than the other team, performing higher than what the coaches expect... i think any coach that can trust his backups... not just put them out there in the last five minutes of a blow out, and uses them frequently and can decipher talent from the not so talented that team should be a quality team. if the team does not have vocal leaders it wont win either

I don't think you have to have the best talent to win. Look at the NC teams of NU in the 90's. Probably didn't recruit the top talent according to the so called experts but had classes that stayed in tact and worked hard together. Filled a couple of key positions with talented players, but had many walk-ons or former walk-ons contribute greatly. I think determination and hard work is better that the most talented, showboatin, all about me "top talent".

:yeah:worship:horns2

Also, back in the early 90's we had the most state of the art weight training and nutrition program in the world, so we could do more with less. Everyone has caught up now, and it has become very difficult to win without talent. Only extremely gifted schemers have a chance to do so, such as Urban Meyer, but even then they cannot take on the top echlelon teams. I dare you to find a team that has finished top five nationaly, where we want to be, without alot of talent.

so how come we didnt win any more with frank solich then guys? if its not about talent then how come damn near every team that doesnt have talent get killed by the ones that do?

We didn't have the talent in the right positions. We also didn't have the proper leadership and chemistry. Maybe there were too many ego's on the team. I donno, I wasn't there, I think TO had a knack for getting the very best out of what he had.

If you don't think the teams of 94, 95 and 97 weren't loaded with talent you're nuts. I think the stat on the 95 Husker roster was 27 players contributing in the NFL. That's sick.

Rivals wasn't around at that time, and recruiting wasn't as easy to track and nationally exposed as it is now. The fans couldn't keep track like they can now. TO and staff still went outside of Neb to get really good, really fast players.

If you don't think the teams of 94, 95 and 97 weren't loaded with talent you're nuts. I think the stat on the 95 Husker roster was 27 players contributing in the NFL. That's sick.

Rivals wasn't around at that time, and recruiting wasn't as easy to track and nationally exposed as it is now. The fans couldn't keep track like they can now. TO and staff still went outside of Neb to get really good, really fast players.

:yeah

I'm glad someone finally said this. 9 of the 11 defensive starters on the 97 team played in the NFL also. Some of the non-starters as well.