Martin looks to rise to the occasion

Nexus

Eric Martin is losing sleep, and that’s a good thing.

Now a sophomore, Martin knows he can be a much more integral part of Nebraska’s defense at linebacker.

Therefore, no more dozing off in the film room.

“I’m actually awake in films every day now,” Martin said. “First one there, last one to leave. Film is actually enjoyable now. It’s not my sleepy time.”

Martin played last season as a true freshman, but mostly on special teams, where he displayed his hard-hitting skills and collected 15 tackles.

When the season ended, Martin took a look around the defense and noted that Nebraska was losing its top three tacklers.

Time to wake up.

“I realized there were a lot of open spots, and it’s just time to step up, because everybody’s expecting our defense to be ranked among the top,” Martin said. “That’s a lot of weight for us, as football players that are still young.”

So Martin did two things during winter conditioning. He increased his weight to 245 pounds, and he befriended the film room. Martin spent 2 or 3 hours a day watching film with linebackers coach Mike Ekeler, learning different positions, and learning the ins and outs of Nebraska’s defense.

Now that Nebraska is back on the field for spring practices, Martin makes certain to apply what he’s learned from film.

“I’ve got something to pay attention to now,” Martin said, “because when I mess up in practice, Coach is the first to bring it up (on film).”

Sophomore linebacker Will Compton said he loves Martin’s motor, and that Martin’s outspoken personality can give the defense an extra spark.

Yes, the guy who early last season earned the nickname “Caveman” because he rarely spoke didn’t take long to break out of his shell.

“It kind of rubs off when he’s out there doing his thing,” Compton said. “Everybody just gets more into everything. You have Pierre (Allen), who does this little thing, too, and everybody just kind of feeds off each other.

“When everybody gets excited, then it’s hard to stop us.”

Compton, noting he’s trying to be less hesitant and more aggressive on the field, said he can learn from Martin.

When it comes to the mental part of the game, Martin turns to Compton.

“He’s really trying to learn the system and things like that,” Compton said. “He’s just got to be out there and experience it more. We tried telling him it’s a lot different than kickoff, because he’s a machine out there on special teams.

“He needs to get the mental aspect down, but he’s coming along. He’s doing good.”

Martin and Compton are working this spring at both MIKE and WILL linebacker — positions that coach Bo Pelini said have become interchangeable in a Nebraska defense that’s playing more nickel and dime.

Compton started eight games at MIKE last season.

“I’m out there making the calls, things like that,” Compton said, “but Eric can line up in the middle sometimes and play the role of a MIKE. So can I.”

Martin said he doesn’t care what his role is, that he just wants to help the defense pick up where it left off last season.

Compton agreed.

“The big thing the coaches wanted to see is a defense that comes out and starts from where we ended (against) Arizona, not a defense that comes out and starts down and we work our way back,” Compton said. “We want to be as good as we were against Arizona in game one, and then progress like we did last year.

“If we put the work and time in, the sky’s the limit for us.”

LINK

I love the hit he has on the "In The Deed, The Glory" Oklahoma video where he just runs through the blocker. He doesn't even look like he cares about getting to the ball-carrier, he just wanted to kill somebody. Kinda reminds me of Alvin Mack from The Program, "Hit the tight end so hard his girlfriend dies...kill everyone."