There's no debate Eric Hagg is key in 'Peso'

Nebraska senior Eric Hagg really isn’t interested in whether the Huskers’ newly coined “Peso” defense qualifies as a significant spring storyline — which is open for debate.

What’s not open for debate is Hagg’s leading role in the “Peso.”

What’s it all mean? It means Hagg now will remain on the field regardless of an offense’s alignment, which he did during Nebraska’s final two games last season. In the first 12 games, however, the Huskers operated out of a 4-3 base alignment, with Hagg replacing a linebacker as the nickel back in obvious passing situations.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Hagg’s versatility — not to mention his NFL-level size and speed — has allowed Nebraska to make the alteration to the “Peso” as its full-time base defense. As it stands, Hagg now will play as a linebacker against an offense’s “big” personnel sets (two running backs, for instance) and remain on the field as a nickel back when an offense shifts to “small” sets.

Got it?

Please rewind to 1993, when Nebraska made the permanent switch from a 5-2 base defense to a 4-3. The Huskers couldn’t have made that move without high-level athletes such as Trev Alberts and Ed Stewart.

The same could be said of Hagg in Nebraska’s latest shift. In fact, the Huskers’ overall athleticism in the back seven helps makes the “Peso” possible.

But if you had to single out a key player in this storyline, it’s clearly Hagg.

He takes his expanded role in stride.

“If his confidence matched our expectations for him ...” Nebraska defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said Monday, his voice trailing. “He’s almost too humble. I don’t think he sees himself as a budding superstar.”

Hagg’s humility helps him stay hungry.

“But sometimes I wish he was more dynamic, more confident, more outspoken," Pelini said.

Hagg isn’t the only Nebraska player capable of excelling in the hybrid linebacker/nickel role. Ultra-athletic defensive back DeJon Gomes could do it, Pelini said. Junior college transfer linebacker Lavonte David may get a look when he arrives on campus this summer.

Austin Cassidy, a junior from Lincoln Southwest, pushes Hagg every practice.

“Cassidy is a lot better than most people realize,” Pelini said.

Make no mistake, Hagg leads the way.

His rare combination of size and speed is precisely what defenses need nowadays to combat versatile offenses. A similar line of thinking was at work in 1993, when Nebraska switched to a 4-3 because it wanted more speed and athleticism on the field, in part because the Huskers were seeing more one-back sets, former NU defensive coordinator Charlie McBride said last week.

What’s more, McBride said, he wanted to increase pressure on quarterbacks using two fast and explosive defensive ends, while keeping those ends from having to drop into pass coverage by using fleet linebackers in that role.

“I was more of a pressure guy than probably a lot of people,” McBride said. “Plus, I just thought the kids would have more fun in the 4-3. We were kind of unpredictable. We’d blitz on first down sometimes and do all sorts of crazy stuff.”

Hagg’s strength and speed come in handy in blitz situations (recall his critical sack late in the Gator Bowl after the 2008 season), and he’s very effective in pass coverage. As for his duties in run support, “I’m learning it as we go,” he said. “I mess up a lot, but I’m picking it up.”

He finished last season with 40 tackles, including two sacks, while picking off a pass and breaking up four others for a defense that led the nation in average points allowed (10.4). Yes, he said, there’ll be pressure on the NU defense this coming season to match last season’s prowess.

“I mean, (secondary) coach Marvin Sanders talked to us about the possibility of teams maybe picking on us and seeing if we’re as good as we were last year now that Ndamukong Suh’s gone,” Hagg said. “We still have Jared Crick filling in and all the other beast people, too, so I feel it’ll work out.”

Beast people?

“They’re huge,” Hagg said with a smile.

Yeah, huge, kind of like Hagg’s role in Nebraska’s evolving defense.

LINK

Hagg isn’t the only Nebraska player capable of excelling in the hybrid linebacker/nickel role. Ultra-athletic defensive back DeJon Gomes could do it, Pelini said. Junior college transfer linebacker Lavonte David may get a look when he arrives on campus this summer.

Lightbulb moment! Remember during Lavonte David's recruitment how he talked about being looked at as a potential option at nickel? We were all scratching our heads at that one, but suddenly it is starting to make more sense.

Lightbulb moment! Remember during Lavonte David's recruitment how he talked about being looked at as a potential option at nickel? We were all scratching our heads at that one, but suddenly it is starting to make more sense.

:yeah Sipple and Severe were just talking about that today on 1620!!!

Sanders talked to us about the possibility of teams maybe picking on us and seeing if we’re as good as we were last year now that Ndamukong Suh’s gone,” Hagg said. “We still have Jared Crick filling in and all the other beast people, too, so I feel it’ll work out.”

Beast people?

“They’re huge,” Hagg said with a smile.

Beast people. I LIKE it! Ha!

I wonder if Harvey Jackson or Corey Cooper will eventually end up in this role as well. Both are 6'2, Cooper is 023 according to Rivals and Jackson is 185. Cooper seems to be more of a true safety, so of the two if either does this I'd say it looks like Jackson might. There was some talk of him being a DB/LB hybrid during his recruitment.

Basically, is this a permanant move as long as the spread is around, or is it because we have the athletes this season, and once we don't, we'll move back to 4-3?

I wonder if Harvey Jackson or Corey Cooper will eventually end up in this role as well. Both are 6'2, Cooper is 023 according to Rivals and Jackson is 185. Cooper seems to be more of a true safety, so of the two if either does this I'd say it looks like Jackson might. There was some talk of him being a DB/LB hybrid during his recruitment.

Basically, is this a permanant move as long as the spread is around, or is it because we have the athletes this season, and once we don't, we'll move back to 4-3?

Yeah, the Peso might be here to stay. For a while. Look at our roster. We've got several safeties big enough to fit this role. Heck, some of our CBs could probably play the hybrid position. I'm sure Prince would do just fine in a pinch.

As for Cooper, I think he'll be a natural in the Peso. Seems like it was made for him.

Yeah, the Peso might be here to stay. For a while. Look at our roster. We've got several safeties big enough to fit this role. Heck, some of our CBs could probably play the hybrid position. I'm sure Prince would do just fine in a pinch.

As for Cooper, I think he'll be a natural in the Peso. Seems like it was made for him.

I see the Peso sticking around as long as the pass happy spreads stick around. However, if teams start looking at what Alabama accomplished last year, we might see the Peso fade away in a couple years. Teams like Texas, Kansas, and possibly Tech in the Big XII are already searching for a better power running game.

I like to read any and all things Huskers, so don't take this the wrong way Sipple:

how many more similar articles can u write about the Peso? I believe this is the second full article about Hagg's role in the Peso and I have seen you blog about at least 2 or 3 other times including a video interview of Hagg as well. I wouldn't mind except it's nothing reall new about this particular players role jn a defense that actually came out last year. How about defining what coverage are going to be used by the remaining DB? How about asking what kind of pressure we can expect from the remaining LBs since we have more speed to cover people? How about asking if other players are still in a rotation even though Hagg appears to be set on the field? Ask the coaches if it was more of a substitution solution, to no huddle attacks, or if it was just born out of tinkering with personnel?

These are questions I want answers to, plus many more about the peso. Not just if Eric Hagg is an NFL size Rover who is humble. The human element you give is nice Sipple, but you have access to coaches and players and represent the thoughts of Husker nation, no go out there and fulfill that reaposibility by digging a little deeper with REAL insight from coaches and players.

Sorry, I've been wanting to write that for about 2 years. Proceed.

I like to read any and all things Huskers, so don't take this the wrong way Sipple:

how many more similar articles can u write about the Peso? I believe this is the second full article about Hagg's role in the Peso and I have seen you blog about at least 2 or 3 other times including a video interview of Hagg as well. I wouldn't mind except it's nothing reall new about this particular players role jn a defense that actually came out last year. How about defining what coverage are going to be used by the remaining DB? How about asking what kind of pressure we can expect from the remaining LBs since we have more speed to cover people? How about asking if other players are still in a rotation even though Hagg appears to be set on the field? Ask the coaches if it was more of a substitution solution, to no huddle attacks, or if it was just born out of tinkering with personnel?

These are questions I want answers to, plus many more about the peso. Not just if Eric Hagg is an NFL size Rover who is humble. The human element you give is nice Sipple, but you have access to coaches and players and represent the thoughts of Husker nation, no go out there and fulfill that reaposibility by digging a little deeper with REAL insight from coaches and players.

:yeah

Maybe he doesn't want to confuse less knowledgeable readers? :dunno

:yeah

Maybe he doesn't want to confuse less knowledgeable readers? :dunno

:) No such thing in the state of Nebraska... :sarcasm