Announcers

Listen, I worked in radio for 10 years, now I teach it.  I have a masters degree in Journalism.  I may have a bit of knowledge in the field.

Yes, he does go off on tangents, but if you listen, really listen, you will hear the down and distance, etc.  Pavelka was horrible at it.

You may not like him for other things, but he follows the ball better than most across the country.

He has been offered several jobs in the Professional Baseball ranks, but chose to stay in Lincoln so he would have a chance at the NU job.  If he were soooooo bad, he wouldn't have had these kind of job offers.

No, I'm 100% serious. Take my challenge, try to chart a game - I've tried several times, it can't be done. Rose is much better at baseball than football because there's enough dead time in baseball to fill with his fanciful bs. Now, if you'd like to hear a top notch college radio baseball broadcast listen to a Texas game next year.

I'm not a broadcast journalist and I don't teach broadcast journalism. I've just been listening to sports on the radio since about 1955 and I know when "the picture is being painted" and when it isn't. Tell me the story of the game, don't tell me a story.

I agree with those who say Rose is less than adequate. I'll take Pavelka anyday (well at least before he got too old and rusty). Rose is 1/32 of inch above Swain on the totem pole. For those of you who didn't grow up with Lyle, you don't know how bad it really is now or how good it could be.

"badman's" post above was deleted for violation of the Board rules against name calling and attacking other members.  It has been moved to the Offending Post's thread.  That's the third strike.

Where does one find this "offending posts thread"? I'd like to read it because my first impression is that you should cut the guy a break--he's new and he may be a slow learner.

I thought Pavelka made the Husker Broadkast sound like it came from a nursing home.....I thought Kent and Saddlemeyer were soooo outdated...I mean c'mon , it was like listening to Lou Holtz tell us how great Navy was every time we went to Lawerence to blowout another horrible KU team...Kent and Gary would drone on about how tuff this game was goin to be for the Huskers and so on and so on until you wanted to crawl up onto the grassy nole and kill those losers......and Yes, his afternoon drive show is worse than NPR.......Pavelka is a geezzer who trys to make no waves and ends up drowning in his own boring drawl....F-ck Kent and Gary.

"badman's" post above was deleted for violation of the Board rules against name calling and attacking other members.  It has been moved to the Offending Post's thread.  That's the third strike.

Where does one find this "offending posts thread"? I'd like to read it because my first impression is that you should cut the guy a break--he's new and he may be a slow learner.

It's located here.

And he was warned on the first violation - as well as being told to read the rules.

Pavelka was pretty good. All the screaming Rose does about a 2 yd gain is pure stupidity. I never find myself listening to the radio braodcast unless the game is not televised. You can't tell me that Rose does not have a sheet of stupid adjectives he can babble for situations much like a coaches play sheet. If Rose was so great he would not have been blown out of the KC radio market which is pretty weak.

IMO Lyle was it. Course I grew up with him announcing the games from the 60's. Man, woman and child. The rest I reserve judgement on because they may not be the best but I would rather listen to them than listen to the talking heads at ABC, CBS or NBC. I almost always turn down the tv and crank up the radio/computer stream feed and listen to that instead of network SFB's.