***European Soccer Thread***

Sevilla Beat Atletico Madrid 2-0 In Thriller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai_B-YR-3IA&feature=player_embedded

In front of 90,000 singing and flag-waving spectators, Sevilla beat Atleti in what can only be described as a thriller. This was the first Copa del Rey Final in which King Carlos did not attend as he had surgery on his lungs last week and was resting at home. The first goal came right away as Diego Capel scored in the 5th minute as he lasered one from the top of the penalty box past the diving De Gea. This proved to be the clincher.

In the 11th and 12th minute, Atleti blew 2 huge opportunities when Ujfalusi broke free into the penalty box, passed the ball back to Aguero who's shot was blocked and cleared by Squillaci, but landed at the feet of Forlan, who's shot was also blocked by Squillaci. IT WAS ABSOLUTE HYSTERIA INSIDE THE STADIUM! The noise was deafening.

In the 18th minute, Simao struck one to the bottom right post but was deflected by the keeper. What a scorcher!

The camera panned to the crowd to show Spain Head Coach Vicente del Bosque. Was he deciding which of the players playing tonight would make the final cut for the national team??? :snacks:

In the 42nd minute, Antonio Lopez took the ball away from a Sevilla defender who was trying to box him out to make sure the ball was going out of bounds. Lopez crossed it into the box for Forlan who kicked it right to the keeper! Huge miss!

Again, in the 43rd minute, Forlan blasted one to the bottom right corner which was deflected by the keeper out of bounds. This led to a corner kick, on which Aguero's header was just right of the crossbar! ANOTHER BLOWN OPPORTUNITY...THE PLACE WAS ROCKING AT THIS POINT

Here's where the match got really ugly. In the 72nd minute, Perea put a bone-crushing tackle on Capel well after the ball had been played; AND HE WAS NOT SHOWN A CARD! The Sevilla players took offence and a huge melee broke out. Both benches were cleared and Sevilla's coach ended up receiving a STRAIGHT RED! Imagine after all of that, it was Sevilla who received a card! The coach had to watch the remainder of the game from the stands.

In the 78th minute, Forlan once again had an opportunity to score off a corner kick. He curled a beautiful kick to the right which was blocked over the crossbar by the keeper. What a shot! It just wasn't Diego's night.

There were 4 minutes of stoppage time added. In just the first minute, Navas scored off a breakaway, only having to beat one defender and the keeper (Atleti had all their players forward to score the tying goal). Sevilla players celebrated in the stands with their fans. ABSOLUTE BEDLAM! I can't tell you how loud it was.

The Copa del Rey returns to Andalucia!!!

Real Madrid Close To Signing Valencia's David Silva

According to Spanish newspaper Marca, Real Madrid are close to signing Silva within the next few days. It was just yesterday that Valencia announced they had sold their star striker David Villa to Barcelona in exchange for upward of $40 million.

Sevilla Beat Atletico Madrid 2-0 In Thriller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai_B-YR-3IA&feature=player_embedded

In front of 90,000 singing and flag-waving spectators, Sevilla beat Atleti in what can only be described as a thriller. This was the first Copa del Rey Final in which King Carlos did not attend as he had surgery on his lungs last week and was resting at home. The first goal came right away as Diego Capel scored in the 5th minute as he lasered one from the top of the penalty box past the diving De Gea. This proved to be the clincher.

In the 11th and 12th minute, Atleti blew 2 huge opportunities when Ujfalusi broke free into the penalty box, passed the ball back to Aguero who's shot was blocked and cleared by Squillaci, but landed at the feet of Forlan, who's shot was also blocked by Squillaci. IT WAS ABSOLUTE HYSTERIA INSIDE THE STADIUM! The noise was deafening.

In the 18th minute, Simao struck one to the bottom right post but was deflected by the keeper. What a scorcher!

The camera panned to the crowd to show Spain Head Coach Vicente del Bosque. Was he deciding which of the players playing tonight would make the final cut for the national team??? :snacks:

In the 42nd minute, Antonio Lopez took the ball away from a Sevilla defender who was trying to box him out to make sure the ball was going out of bounds. Lopez crossed it into the box for Forlan who kicked it right to the keeper! Huge miss!

Again, in the 43rd minute, Forlan blasted one to the bottom right corner which was deflected by the keeper out of bounds. This led to a corner kick, on which Aguero's header was just right of the crossbar! ANOTHER BLOWN OPPORTUNITY...THE PLACE WAS ROCKING AT THIS POINT

Here's where the match got really ugly. In the 72nd minute, Perea put a bone-crushing tackle on Capel well after the ball had been played; AND HE WAS NOT SHOWN A CARD! The Sevilla players took offence and a huge melee broke out. Both benches were cleared and Sevilla's coach ended up receiving a STRAIGHT RED! Imagine after all of that, it was Sevilla who received a card! The coach had to watch the remainder of the game from the stands.

In the 78th minute, Forlan once again had an opportunity to score off a corner kick. He curled a beautiful kick to the right which was blocked over the crossbar by the keeper. What a shot! It just wasn't Diego's night.

There were 4 minutes of stoppage time added. In just the first minute, Navas scored off a breakaway, only having to beat one defender and the keeper (Atleti had all their players forward to score the tying goal). Sevilla players celebrated in the stands with their fans. ABSOLUTE BEDLAM! I can't tell you how loud it was.

The Copa del Rey returns to Andalucia!!!

The game sounds awesome. I wish I could have watched it....seeing the players in the stands and the melee you described in the 72nd minute would have been great. Thanks for posting the write up.

WOW Street Novelist this is some good stuff you have posted. I get most of my soccer knowledge from FIFA10 and I play with Barcelona and you are right about that midfield being crowded (I happen to have Fabregas on my team and he is awesome). There is so much talent on that team it is ridiculous, I didn't think they could get much better but obviously i was wrong. Thierry Henry is my favorite player and with the signing of Villa and a poor year he looks to be on his way out. What do you think about him coming to MLS? I heard rumors a while ago about him coming to the Red Bulls?

One last thing....holy $%&! the Spanish national team is stacked!!!!

David Villa Introduced To Barca Media

I am going to post a rough translation of his comments on Marca.com, Spain's main futbol newspaper.

Transcript:

The Asturian started the press conference by saying he was joining the best club in the world and hopes his signing will make them an even bigger force to reckon with. He promises to work hard, stay humble and be faithful to the club. Everything he's done in his career has led him to this point (signing with Barcelona). He hopes the goals he scores will be productive and help Barcelona grow as a team and continue to get better.

He is also very proud to be another in a long line of Asturians to wear the blue and red. Growing up, his biggest idols were Quini and Luis Enrique, famous Asturians who played for Barcelona. He said it was an honor to follow in their footsteps and wear the jersey they wore.

Inter Beat Bayern 2-0 To Win Champions League

In a match that saw Bayern dominate possession (70% to Inter's 30%), it was Diego Milito's brace that led Inter to their first European Championship since 1965. Inter also became the first Italian team to win the treble (league, domestic cup and European Cup).

This had to be one of the most boring soccer championships I have ever seen. In the first half, Inter was content to sit back and let Bayern attack. Robben and Olic managed to put together a few good attacks, but they all ended up blocked or shot wide of the goal. In what possibly could have determined the outcome of the game, the referee missed an obvious handball by Maicon in his own penalty box in the 14th minute which should have given Bayern a penalty kick and a card to Maicon.

Diego Milito finally broke the monotony in the 34th minute with a beautiful shot past the keeper off a give-and-go. Milito headed the ball to Sneijder who passed it by a defender to the oncoming Milito who double-clutched and beautifully deked the keeper.

In the 43rd minute, Sneijder should have put Inter up 2-0 when, off a beautiful pass from Milito into the penalty box, he brushed passed a defender and blasted it right at the keeper. You can't miss from that distance!

There was more action in the first 2 minutes of the second half than there was in the entire first half. In the first minute of the second half, Mueller blew a huge opportunity when he kicked it right to Cesar. What a waste off a beautiful cross from Altintop! They had caught Inter completely off-guard, but could not capitalize! In the second minute of the second half, Milito passed to Pandev who shot it from just inside the box but was deflected over the crossbar by the keeper. Pandev didn't put much on that shot!

In the 70th minute, Milito put the game away when he completely embarrassed van Buyten with a deke and shot it past the keeper. Diego Milito; Man of the Match!

Barcelona Prepared For Drawn Out Negotiation Over Fabregas

ESPN: Barcelona have again chosen to comment on their pursuit of Cesc Fabregas, admitting that it could take most of the summer before they are successful in their chase.

Fabregas has already told the Gunners he wants to return to the club where he began his career, but Arsenal are desperate to hold on to their captain.

On Tuesday, Barcelona confirmed their presidential elections will take place on June 13. And at the same time director general Joan Oliver stated that while Barca had yet to make a formal bid for Fabregas, he remains central to their transfer plans.

"There is no offer yet," Oliver stated on Barca's official website. "It's true the player has expressed his wish to play for Barca, perhaps this coming season."

"We have had first contacts with Arsenal in which we made known our intention to talk and that's the current situation."

"We are not in any hurry and you never know how long these operations can take. There is no time-frame. The period is from today and until the deadline for registering players at the end of August."

The player's father, also called Francesc, insisted that his son will definitely play for Barca next season. He said: "Arsenal have to respect the decision and the will of the player. Negotiations between Arsenal and Barcelona will be very long. Both sides are going to have to sit several times because the issue is complicated."