Callahan is better than Solich

All the NFL teams are using the WCO.  It's the new "option" so to speak.  Frank never could quite figure that out.  That's why he's at Ohio now.  The days of the option are over.  Do you see any NFL teams running it?  No.

You might need to learn the same thing that Coach Callahan needs to learn:

Nebraska doesn't play in the NFL.

All the NFL teams are using the WCO.  It's the new "option" so to speak.  Frank never could quite figure that out.  That's why he's at Ohio now.  The days of the option are over.  Do you see any NFL teams running it?  No.

No they don't. But the players in the NFL have to come from somewhere, don't they?

All the NFL teams are using the WCO.  It's the new "option" so to speak.  Frank never could quite figure that out.  That's why he's at Ohio now.  The days of the option are over.   Do you see any NFL teams running it?  No.

No they don't. But the players in the NFL have to come from somewhere, don't they?

More players taken in the first round when the Huskers ran the option/multiple set offense with a slight emphasis on qb run and the power game.

I guess this is where we agree to disagree. The option is clearly not dead, please reference Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Texas, Kansas St (And before anyone jumps me, look at last season) and Utah. Seems to me, 3 of these teams played in a BCS bowl last year.

The WCO will take a lot more time than one season to implement. Everyone says NU was depleted in talent, didn't they have quite a few guys selected on Sunday that were recruited by Frank and his staff?

Seems to me that they dont run the same kind of offense that Nebraska did. I have said it in earlier threads. It is ok to have a mobile quarterback who can run the ball, even in a designed situation, 4 or 5 times a game, but you cant use the same long drawn out option play that is easy to recognize 20 times a game anymore. It was easy to do it when we had superior athletes, but now the option is used primarily as a gimick play and mostly from the shutgun. All of the teams you listed run it out of the shot gun and usually give the quarterback the option to pass. The plays develop much quicker because as soon as the defense recognizes the play, its all over man.

All the NFL teams are using the WCO.  It's the new "option" so to speak.  Frank never could quite figure that out.  That's why he's at Ohio now.  The days of the option are over.   Do you see any NFL teams running it?  No.

And who do you think Callahan learned the WCO from? None other than Father Walsh! :thumbs

Funny, I dont remember billy c being on any of Walsh's staffs.

I apologize for saying this but your avatar makes me want to puke :rollin

The days of the option are over.  Do you see any NFL teams running it?  No.

I dunno if you can discount the option just because no one in the pros uses it. No one in the pro's used the option offense when NU was steamrolling teams in the 70's,80's and 90's. I think the main difference is that the mentality of the high school player has changed. Many kids are thinking about what will help them make it to the next level beyond college ball and learning the option offense doesn't do it for them. The option could be successful again, because football is cyclical. Just look at what is going on in the NFL this season. The 3-4 defense was big in the 70's and 80's, then everyone switched to the 4-3, now the Pats had a lot of success using the 3-4 and now everyone is switching to that. That's just an example. I just don't necessarily believe that the option is dead.

:yeah

Wow, youre gonna hate me for that one, DJR ;)

I'll wait and see. Callahan is maybe a better recruiter but he hasnt proved anything on the feld yet. Give it 4 years before we now if he is even a better recruter. I hope he turns out better. 2 years ago I would of thougt nobody called a worse game than Frank and nobody was a worse defense coordinater than BOhl. Now I dont know.

Here is a thread that hopefully will combine every other thread since the new guys got here. That way I can talk about other things without it reverting to this argument. So guys, I think that firing Solich was the right thing to do and that Callahan was an excellent hire. Discuss, citeing examples of why I am correct or incorrect.

Based on what? His great recruiting?lol He made no adjustments last year, his defense was terrible, special teams were worse and his offense stunk. We got lucky to win 5 games and thats sad coming off a 10 win season where the defense was great and returned alot of fire power and the offense had quite abit back. His sayings were even worse.

f-in hillbillys

one game/one season

go solich

Frank was fired for one reason and one reason alone. He failed to do what his boss told him to do. The number one thing in college football is recruiting. He was told over and over to focus on recuriting. Pederson did not care about upgrading the staff, he wanted a recruiter to bring in the talent. Frank felt wins were more important than recruiting. Franks main erro was misjuding his bosses desires.

If you go to the Ohio Boards you will hear how Frank is recruiting year around now. How they are using him as a recruiting tool. Frank learned his lesson I think. But he was just to stubborn to do what he was told. Many boosters wanted Frank gone for the very same reason. Embarassment at Texas, Kansas State and Missouri only deepend the gap between the big buck boosters and Frank. Had he put together a class like BC brought in he would have kept his job. Sales is the life blood of any business. He just did not comprehend that.