Callahan is better than Solich

I am origionally from Southeast Nebraska...born and raised. That simply means I AM, I did not become, or move into the state from somewhere else, I always have been a fan of the BIG RED, and always will be. I now live 2 hours away from where Coach Callahan used to coach in Oakland, and they are still trying to pick up his mess from a team he took to the Super Bowl. I was at work the other day, and a pastor from Grand Island was in our store. He recently moved into Nebraska, and at the time did not have an affiliation with a college football team, so he chose Nebraska. In just a couple of years of being a fan (3 I believe) he told me that getting rid of Frank Solich had to go. This fan doesn't understand the tradition of Husker football. Frank Solich, even though from Ohio, bleeds RED. He was a player, and a coach, and coached some of the greatest running backs in the country at Nebraska. He was hand picked by a man who won 3 National Championships and could have won more. When Nebraska lost 7-8 straight bowl games...did they fire the coach, NO. I'm glad they didn't. And don't give me this bull the option was outdated, Dr. Tom won with the option, and he lost with the option. We keep saying that Callahan needs time to bring in his players and develope his system, well we didn't give Solich the time he needed. Callahan's leadership has brought in a loosing record, no bowl game, and I think the thing that bothers me the most...he doesn't embrace walk-on's anymore. Men who simply wanted to be Huskers. Frank Solich was the man for the job, because he was Nebraska football. Callahan is not Nebraska football...he is a Coach. I guess we will see if he really is a Coach this year. Keep in mind when Solich went 9-3, it was an improvement from the previous year, the end result, he was fired. Husker fans, I believe we will be better this year, but maybe by a couple of games. Can Husker Nation handle another 3-6 losses, and Callahan keep his job. It would be an improvement, but...We will wait till the end of the season to find out.

someone asked me earlier to explain why I thought Callahan was a better coach than Frank other than the obvious that BC is in Lincoln and Frank is in Ohio so here goes

1. COACHING - no comparison BC has coached on all levels and succeeded while Frank has had some success at the college level he has not even been approached by an NFL team to my knowledge FS was becoming 1 dimensional at the end as well and can you really look yourself in the mirror and say that he would have had a better record than BC last year with Dailey still being the QB (and look at all the D1 offers he received after termination)

2. RECRUITING nuff said on that subject but we will have to see how these players pan out for BC but on paper they look to be much improved over anything FS brought in.

3. MEETING THE PRESS I use to cringe everytime FS was behind the mike on a local, regional or National stage - the guy was just plain embarrassing at least BC can communicate and not come off as a complete idiot!!!

as for the rest of the staff that was let go that is a part of coaching and change - I understand that BC wanted his own staff - but I would liked to see him keep a few of them around but life goes on - I felt the worst for Barney (if you think fs was letting him have the final say on what plays were being called just check the gameplans for the games from the prior year and compare - fs was still calling the plays - he just couldn't let it go)

:cheers

and hopfully this is the last post on FS I know it will be 4 me :lol:

Talk means little. The "proof is in the pudding." Why debate this when the performance on the field is the answer to the arguments against BC. If the team does well this year and continues to improve and leads to a championship, (North or Conference) will the doubters have the civility to admit that they were mistaken in their prognostications? If not, why even play the game?

God Bless Solich and Callahan, may they both have stellar seasons!

I felt the worst for Barney  (if you think fs was letting him have the final say on what plays were being called just check the gameplans for the games from the prior year and compare  -  fs was still calling the plays  -  he just couldn't let it go)

I was saying this all of 03. I always thought is was a bunch of crap that Solich said he wasn't calling the plays. The plays called during the Alamo Bowl were different then what was called the whole. The whole Solich fired himself as OC was a bunch of bull.IMO

Wins is what its all about not recruiting. Recruiting is like being preseason favorites, it don't mean jack. Frank had a great young staff that he surrounded himself with and they were good recruiters and most importantly great coaches.

Actually Eeyore it is probably about both. If you don't recruit well you won't win. Point to Mack Brown if you want but like I said in another thread he has the third most wins in the last five years. It's weird how the "Top" teams the last few years are also usually have the best recruiting classes.

I have a question for you also. How has Pelini, Cotton, Sanders, Albin, Williams ever recruit that was worth a darn? Are these actually good recruiters or is that just what your blind faith to Frankie has told you? Just wondering.

Pederson did not care about upgrading the staff, he wanted a recruiter to bring in the talent. Frank felt wins were more important than recruiting. Franks main erro was misjuding his bosses desires.

I gotta disagree with that. You're forgetting S.P.'s ego. Coming off a 9 win season you'd have to figure there would have to be other mitigating factors which led to Solich's termination. But I do see the point where recruiting had dropped off. TO didn't win a Natl Champ 'til he started recruiting TX, CA, FL.

During the KState game two ago I was in a sky box with a very big booster from Texas, when SP said, or very close to " I promise you, we will not be embarassed by lack of talent on the field, I will right this ship". He did not say he was going to fire Frank. Most of the conversation during the game was the lack of speed and how overweight some players appeared. Lack of conditioning, and motivation. I do not normally put this type of information out, but there was a lot of preasure on Pederson to correct what many high buck boosters felt was wrong. Take it for what it is worth.

When I attended the ISU game in 2003, MY BINOCULARS revealed to me that Solich was calling the plays, not Barney. Cotton appeared to be frustrated and I believe would have moved on if Frank stayed!

But, at this point does any of this really matter much? Let's focus on this season and stop beating a dead horse. How about discussions regarding who is playing what position? Its more important that Dillard and Bowman are starters and that our special teams are vastly improved and our rotation on the defensive line results in double the sacks and QB hurries of last season!!!!!!